• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bretandry
    Bloodstained
    • May 2021

Reloading brass 7.62 x 39

Hello all.
    I ran across some GECO 7.62 x 39 once fired brass. I grabbed it since brass is not easy to come by these days. Has anyone reloaded this brass resized for the Grendel? I believe it's a German manufacture but not being familiar with it I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I am assuming I will have to resize the neck back to 0.012 thickness after sizing but i'm not sure
  • stonehog
    Warrior
    • Oct 2021

This is technically a video on forming 6mm ARC, but he starts on the 7.62x39 in forming it to 6.5 Grendel:

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Bretandry View Post
      Hello all.
      I ran across some GECO 7.62 x 39 once fired brass. I grabbed it since brass is not easy to come by these days. Has anyone reloaded this brass resized for the Grendel? I believe it's a German manufacture but not being familiar with it I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I am assuming I will have to resize the neck back to 0.012 thickness after sizing but i'm not sure
      Of all 7.62x39 brass to convert to Grendel - GECO is my least favorite. It's a bear trying to get it to size down well enough to actually fit, for whatever reason. Be very aggressive on your resizing die with GECO, I'll say that. Aside from that, it's very high quality metallurgy and consistency of construction.
      4x P100

Comment

• Bretandry
        Bloodstained
        • May 2021

Annealing should be the first step then I guess. Thanks

Comment

• Old Bob
          Warrior
          • Oct 2019

I've converted around a 125 7.62x39 brass cases to 6.5 Grendel more as an experiment rather than for use as range fodder. Just wanted to see what it would take for the conversion. Most of the brass I used was from Winchester ammo fired in my Norinco SKS (100 cases). The other 25 were range pick-ups fired in who-knows-what. The die I used was my Hornady Grendel die. The Winchester brass was the easiest brand to convert. I had only a few problems with them like neck crushing. 90 out of 100 were good to go for reloading. Out of the range pick-ups, Lapua, PMC & Remington brass converted well but some of the unknown brands were not usable. Besides some crushed necks, like my SKS fired brass, they had what looks like the belt on magnum brass after resizing. I suspect those cases were fired in 7.62x39 chambers that were oversized. Of the 25 I started with 15 were good. There was only one GECO case that made it through the conversion. I don't recall how many I started with... maybe 3 or 4. I converted those 15 good cases again to 6mm ARC.
          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

If my memory serves me correctly, the GECO 7.62x39 brass is very thick. I'd be sure to check your loaded neck OD vs a fired case neck OD when the time comes.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
            X