• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • colbyshoots
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2019

Bullets seated too far

I loaded my first 32 rounds of Grendel and let me tell you, it was satisfying.

Problem is, my first two (hence the 32 rounds) were loaded with the bullets seated too deep. My first one seated to a C.O.L. of 2.10 and I could hear the powder compress as it seated. The second one was somewhere slightly longer but I don't think there was any compressing of the powder for that one.

My question is: Can I shoot these or do I need to pull the bullet and do it again? The load is too light in them as they were the bottom of my ladder at 26.2 gr. I found 28.0-28.4 was a pretty sweet spot using 8208 so my future loads will be mostly in the 28.0+ gr variety.

It would be through my bolt gun if it matters, I just don't want to blow anything up...
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I use a kinetic puller and tap it to move the bullet further out then re-seat to proper length. The hammer shaped kinetic bullet pullers are inexpensive and a handy tool for reloaders.

Comment

• trubulator
      Warrior
      • Aug 2022

I would pull them. That is pretty far below published load data OAL.

Comment

• colbyshoots
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by trubulator View Post
        I would pull them. That is pretty far below published load data OAL.
        Post #1!! Welcome.

Comment

• trubulator
          Warrior
          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by colbyshoots View Post
          Post #1!! Welcome.
          Heh, thanks. New to Geendel, not to reloading (where I have made all the usual mistakes).

Comment

• colbyshoots
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2019

Heh, thanks. New to Geendel, not to reloading (where I have made all the usual mistakes).
            Nice! Did you get into a bolt gun or a gas gun?

I'm hoping not to make "those" mistakes but I'm sure I will at some point.

Comment

• trubulator
              Warrior
              • Aug 2022

Nice! Did you get into a bolt gun or a gas gun?

I'm hoping not to make "those" mistakes but I'm sure I will at some point.
              20" BCA upper is what I am working with. The extractor was crap (replaced it), but otherwise it is quite accurate. Sub MOA easily with Hornady Black and the best of my reload experiments. I may eventually pick up a Ruger bolt gun in this cartridge simply because it checks so many boxes for me: accurate, minimal recoil, good bit of range for hunting, efficient use of powder.

Comment

• colbyshoots
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2019

20" BCA upper is what I am working with. The extractor was crap (replaced it), but otherwise it is quite accurate. Sub MOA easily with Hornady Black and the best of my reload experiments. I may eventually pick up a Ruger bolt gun in this cartridge simply because it checks so many boxes for me: accurate, minimal recoil, good bit of range for hunting, efficient use of powder.
                LOL, that is the exact path I traveled. I have the BCA gas gun and the Ruger American Predator bolt gun. I love the magazine interchangeability.

Comment

• trubulator
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2022

LOL, that is the exact path I traveled. I have the BCA gas gun and the Ruger American Predator bolt gun. I love the magazine interchangeability.
                  What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the predator? How does it compare to the upper? That is the exact bolt I am interested in, although at the moment I am more focused on paying college tuition than buying another rifle.

Comment

• colbyshoots
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2019

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the predator? How does it compare to the upper? That is the exact bolt I am interested in, although at the moment I am more focused on paying college tuition than buying another rifle.
                    Accuracy has been fine. I'm not much of a paper puncher so I'd be guessing somewhere around 1 moa if recall correctly from my groups I shot to zero my rifle. The guys at Vortex Optics shot 1000 yards with one out of the box. Find that youtube video for some inspiration.

Here is is----> https://youtu.be/2QUjRRr5JsA

Comment

Working...
                    X