• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • colbyshoots
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2019

Bullets seated too deep - Part II

I ordered a kinetic bullet puller (hammer thingy) for a few bullets that were seated too deep.

Can I tap them out a little, then reseat them to the correct depth or do I need to full remove the bullet and resize the neck of the case?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• colbyshoots
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2019

So you think reseating the bullet to the correct length would be ok?

How did a primer detonate without being struck? I didn't think that was possible.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

If you inertia pull it out enough, then re-seat, it will fire fine.

I whacked it hard enough to activate the primer when the case was empty with a bullet in it.

This is why I think collet pullers mounted in a press are safer, more efficient.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• colbyshoots
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2019

Ok. I'll tap them out a bit and reseat them. I'd rather not waste the powder/primer so I'll use them as a barrel warmer before shooting for velocities.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Don't whack the inertia pullers directly onto concrete. That's what can happen.
            Instead, stand up a short piece of 2x4 or 4x4 (~18" or so), and whack the puller down onto the wood.
            For me when I use one (I also recommend the collet pullers used in your reloading press), I don't allow the puller to "bounce" but strike the wood and keep the puller basically down on the end of the 2x4. That way all of the momentum transfers to the bullet.
            It is an inexact method of lengthening a cartridge, it's not as easy as "0.002 inch per whack") or anything. You might want to put a small line/ink mark on the bullet at the edge of the case mouth so you can see what kind of progress you're getting.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Old Bob
              Warrior
              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              Don't whack the inertia pullers directly onto concrete. That's what can happen.
              Instead, stand up a short piece of 2x4 or 4x4 (~18" or so), and whack the puller down onto the wood.
              For me when I use one (I also recommend the collet pullers used in your reloading press), I don't allow the puller to "bounce" but strike the wood and keep the puller basically down on the end of the 2x4. That way all of the momentum transfers to the bullet.
              It is an inexact method of lengthening a cartridge, it's not as easy as "0.002 inch per whack") or anything. You might want to put a small line/ink mark on the bullet at the edge of the case mouth so you can see what kind of progress you're getting.
              I use a 25 lb lead brick...

LeadBrick.JPG
              I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
              X