Is there a measuring device that is accurate to more than 1/10th of a grain? (Weight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomketchum
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2022

Is there a measuring device that is accurate to more than 1/10th of a grain? (Weight)

First time I've had this happen in 30+ yrs of reloading. I was at the range yesterday doing some prep for the coming mule deer season in WA, when i had a catastrophic failure in round #41 in a box of 50 handloads. I was shooting offhand - first shot of 5 in a mag, and at the shot, the magazine was forcefully ejected, the

"29.4gr AA 2520 (dropped from Redding BR Powder measure - these averaged between 29.35 to 29.6 in the sample set I took - 29.6 is a listed max in the Accurate load book)"

A cheap digital scale can be accurate to around (~)0.5 of a grain, but some loads (like 5.7x28) require much higher precision than that.

My question is: Is there any new technology (in the past 10 years) (more precise) when it comes to measuring fractions of grains?

(MORE accurate than 0.1 grain. For example 0.010000 grain accurate (0.000647 grams))

PS: There has to be some type of middle ground between 60 dollars and 20,000 dollars.
    Last edited by tomketchum; 09-23-2022, 07:29 PM.
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

A&D FX-120i is the ideal scale for your reloading bench. Superior accuracy and speed, at an affordable price for this laboratory grade scale. Always in stock. $580.00 USD - Free Shipping to The Lower 48

Accurate down to .02 of a grain!

Comment

• tomketchum
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2022

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
      Pretty clooose.
      (To that desired 1/100th of a grain or better)
      (1/100 is not 1/64-65)
      ~1/65th of a grain sounds pretty good though.
      Yes. Thanks, this would probably be sufficient.
      Last edited by tomketchum; 09-23-2022, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 09-23-2022, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

This. I have one, and it is the scale paird with the amazing V4 autotrickler scale, that's just rediculous. And yes, my SD's have gone down, now that I run this.

FWIW, This $25 scale ($19 when I got mine), also tracks that scale spot on. Which is more than a little mindblowing.

4x P100

Comment

• riuma
            Warrior
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by tomketchum View Post
            https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...a-case-blowout
            "29.4gr AA 2520 (dropped from Redding BR Powder measure - these averaged between 29.35 to 29.6 in the sample set I took - 29.6 is a listed max in the Accurate load book)"

A cheap digital scale can be accurate to around (~)0.5 of a grain, but some loads (like 5.7x28) require much higher precision than that.

My question is: Is there any new technology (in the past 10 years) (more precise) when it comes to measuring fractions of grains?

(MORE accurate than 0.1 grain. For example 0.010000 grain accurate (0.000647 grams))

PS: There has to be some type of middle ground between 60 dollars and 20,000 dollars.
            I have a CE Products scale pared with a V3 Auto trickler. I use it for coarser powders because it it incredibly fast, not because it is incredibly accurate. (which it is)
            Two one hundredths if a grain is very accurate but unnecessary for powder unless you are weighing bullets and measuring case volumes and ductility. If you aren't doing those things you are wasting time measuring powder to an exactitude.

No offense, but I had a Redding BR30 measure and I gave it away. Accuracy was terrible. I bought a Neil Jones Precision measure and never looked back. With AA2520 your charges will be closer than you need. ~Riuma

Comment

• SCJim
              Warrior
              • Apr 2019

There are any number of .0001 gram (.0015 grain) scales out there, here is a A&D model A&D HR-100A https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/and-hr-100a.html but a number of brands are out there. One of the more popular reloading scales is the A&D 120 FX which is accurate down to .015 grains
              Last edited by SCJim; 09-24-2022, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Guys:

Those are impressive scales. I know that F Class guys use them but I see Bench Rest shooters on the range using a powder measure without even weighing the charges.

And honestly, $550.00 is not a bad price if you have it set up to drop and trickle so you can get the charging done as quickly as possible.

Lets say you get down to .0015 of a grain of weight. How much does one little grain of the powder weigh for most Grendel loads? I am not sure but what are you going to do if a grain of 2520 weighs more than .0015 of one grain?

I think that type of precision is probably needed to be competitive at F Class at 600 and 1K or the ultra long range shooters but a Grendel out of a AR-15? Overkill I think?

LR-55

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Overkill. My opinion, for grendel and anyone except for the 1k+/ ocd competitors.

Let's say your grendel has a load with a true (not just 3 or 4 shots, but over time and 50-100 shots) of 6, so 90% shots are within 12 fps of the average or +/- 24 fps (if my stats-brain is still working)... eye-twitches or shooting fatigue or shoulder shifting will cause as much POI delta as the load will... 0.1 gr of pretty much any grendel powder can cause 10 fps delta.

I know for me, I will get more bang for my buck in shooting/trigger skill and accuracy, than a 0.01 grain scale.
                  Mine is =/- 0.1 and weighs them better than I can shoot. A scoop that has a 0.3 gr range... I would ditch that method, personally.

Other guys might see it differently, and that's ok too.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

I have to go back to the range today to work on or double check my 6 CM load/ bolt action, was shooting 0.5" but last time out it was hard to keep it 1.5". SD of 3.4. Don't know what is going on but it could just as well be me as the load... all loads within my +/-0.1 chargemaster scale.
                    Maybe I just am sitting on a fake node... that a "I want this to be a node" feeling. Maybe my 0.5" was a really lucky day.
                    At any rate, I have to go back to the range... O darn!!!

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 09-24-2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

Autotrickler is great accuracy and speed for the bucks spent. It is slow but I have an old balance scale and that is what I use throw on the charge master then trickle up on the beam scale if I want better than the chargemaster can do. I only do that for a few very accurate rifles for hunting. I like accuracy but 1MOA is in reality plenty for hunting inside 300 yards which is most of what I do. For a few rifles though I do measure to the kernel of extruded powder.

Comment

• SCJim
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2019

when doing load development I like my loads to be as accurate and precise as possible. Once I find a nice wide node I just throw using my Chargemaster.

One thing I see a lot of among shooter is the notion that if they are having a bad day/match it has to be the rifle or load. Studies have show that simply changing ones position by moving a one of your feet 3 inches can affect the point of impact. Last week in a rimfire match I moved my right thumb from a wrap around to bringing it to the top of the comb, sure as heck that was a flyer. I moved it back and POI moved back to center, I kept that thumb wrapped around the rest of the match.

If all it took to shoot clean targets then anyone with a checkbook and a bit of focus when reloading would be NRA champs, and while deep pockets help, talent and practice count just as much

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

Having said my piece and read all the rest, for me it boils down to finding that dang deer and getting it to stand in front of me -- lol!!! that's the hardest part of my hunt. 1 yr of loads and practice... 20 seconds of making the shot.

My "other" (26" heavy barrel) 6 Creed does its 0.5" prints all day w/ 107 smk's... but that's more a specialty shooter for this little country boy!

Comment

• tomketchum
                              Unwashed
                              • Sep 2022

Oh no I am not a hunter, and I understand semi auto isn't the most accurate. But in reality I like the idea that the cartridge accuracy is overkill rather than "in SAAMI spec" (commerical loads). Yes measuring just powder would be a waste of time if other considerations were not placed. Like a bullet being 1 grain different would be a consideration too. I would think that the oal of the cartridge would matter and case volume too, yes.
                              If I knew what to look for in a primer that was different that would be nice too.

This is all good stuff, thanks everyone.
                              Last edited by tomketchum; 09-25-2022, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X