• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIANEB
    Warrior
    • Oct 2020

CFE223 and Lapua 123 Scenar?

I was able to pick up 2 pounds of CFE223 and a box of Lapua 123 Scenars at Sportsmans warehouse in Reno...
    I looked at all threads for this powder but there too many different recipes for CFE223...
    Can anyone here help me out with some good loads?
    The Hornady manual shows 31.2 as max load for their 123 grain bullets... I was thinking of starting with 30.0 grains...
    This is for my bolt action rifle...

Thanks in advance...
  • DeNinny
    Warrior
    • Sep 2022

It's weird, CFE223 has the best velocity range in the Hornady book but in my Alexander Arms (vol 1) grendel reloading book it's not even listed for any bullet.

With 123gr SSTs at 2.245" COL, my best CFE223 load was 30.7 gr. I have an AR with 20" Proof barrel.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Here are the drop box links to the Data chart provided by Seatlroadwr, A very big THANK YOU!! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88798310/Grendel%20Loads%20from%20Bwild%2097%20Updated.pdf https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88798310/Grendel%20Loads%20from%20Bwild%2097%20Updated.xlsx
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-24-2022, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

The combo worked great for me when I lived in the mountains and the ambient temp never got above 90 and the ammo was always cooler than that (it was always stored at 70 or lower and kept out of the mountain sun when it left my place). I was at 30.8 grains in my 22" JP and got from 2560 to 2580. At that time, most were doing around 31.5 max, which jives with my tight chamber. I shot several cases of 123 Scenars with it.

That same 30.8 grains (from a different lot) got me a very scary 2650 at 95 degrees when i moved to Phoenix. I tried 30.4 at 2600 at 95, but it was simply too sensitive for this climate. I got over 2fps per degree above 90.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

CFE223 is my main powder. I've been shooting a load of 31.2 grs under different 123 class bullets for years. Accuracy is sub-minute in my barrel with Hornady Amax, Nosler CC, Prvi 120s. Sierras are not as accurate for me.

I'd follow VASCAR's advice about the temperature sensitivity. It's not a problem for me as most of my shooting is done during cooler months and temperatures don't vary much in Western Oregon. I have noticed my velocities really climb when the temps hit the 90's. If I shot more in the summer, I might reduce the load to 31.0.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• DIANEB
            Warrior
            • Oct 2020

Thank you all for your feedback...
            I'll start out at 30.0 and work up...
            In the summer it's in the high 80's to 100 degrees here... I try to shoot in mornings in the mid to upper 70's...
            Last edited by DIANEB; 09-24-2022, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• Rivercityjeff
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2022

VASCAR, that was some rabbit hole! Ton's of great info. Thanks for the link to that old post.

Comment

• DIANEB
                Warrior
                • Oct 2020

Ok I loaded 20 rounds with with CFE223 10 with 30.2 grains and 10 with 30.5 grains with the Lapua 123 Scenar...
                10 rounds 26.5 grains of Benchmark and the Lapua 123 grain Scenar...
                10 rounds with 120 ELD with 30.5 grains of CFE223...
                I can't get to the range for 2 weeks but I will post a report after I go...
                I also ordered the Mighty Armory decapping die and their 6.5 Grendel FL sizing die...
                I also want to thank everyone that replied to this thread... All the info really helps...
                This is the best forum on the internet...
                All the other shooting forums I'm on are basically worthless...
                So thank you all for all your help...
                Last edited by DIANEB; 09-25-2022, 03:00 AM.

Comment

• DeNinny
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2022

Originally posted by DIANEB View Post
                  Ok I loaded 20 rounds with with CFE223 10 with 30.2 grains and 10 with 30.5 grains with the Lapua 123 Scenar...
                  10 rounds 26.5 grains of Benchmark and the Lapua 123 grain Scenar...
                  10 rounds with 120 ELD with 30.5 grains of CFE223...
                  I can't get to the range for 2 weeks but I will post a report after I go...
                  I also ordered the Mighty Armory decapping die and their 6.5 Grendel FL sizing die...
                  I also want to thank everyone that replied to this thread... All the info really helps...
                  This is the best forum on the internet...
                  All the other shooting forums I'm on are basically worthless...
                  So thank you all for all your help...
                  DIANEB I am new here and I absolutely agree that this forum is awesome with great content and members. I came over here from Reddit's 65grendel sub.

I'm looking forward to your report on these loads for sure. We use similar powders and bullets and eventually I want to try some Benchmark. With the 120gr ELD-M my best loads were with 27.3gr - 28.7gr A2520 and 30.7 gr CFE223. A2520 was just slightly better but with both powders were ~.75 MOA which is great for my skill level.

Comment

• DIANEB
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2020

Originally posted by DeNinny View Post
                    DIANEB I am new here and I absolutely agree that this forum is awesome with great content and members. I came over here from Reddit's 65grendel sub.

I'm looking forward to your report on these loads for sure. We use similar powders and bullets and eventually I want to try some Benchmark. With the 120gr ELD-M my best loads were with 27.3gr - 28.7gr A2520 and 30.7 gr CFE223. A2520 was just slightly better but with both powders were ~.75 MOA which is great for my skill level.
                    My 2 top loads in the 120 class are 26.5 grains of Benchmark and 28.5 grains of A2520...
                    I hope the CFE223 works out...
                    I belong to the 68 forums and calguns I ask questions on both forums and almost never get a reply...
                    This forum is a different story and I'm very happy to be a part of it...
                    Last edited by DIANEB; 09-26-2022, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Check this thread out from 2013 when I first took CFE223 out to test over a chronograph, after Bwild97 and other forum members had realized much higher velocities with it:

CFE223 and 123gr A-MAX Ladder Testing Results
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• DIANEB
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2020

My magazines will only take a COL 2.265" so that's where I seated them...

Comment

Working...
                          X