• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIANEB
    Warrior
    • Oct 2020

Broke down and bought a seating die...

I ordered a Forester seating die today...I didn't like the RCBS seating die...
    Attached Files
  • Mesa1978
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Good buy.

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

I use the same Forester seating dies for loading my .223 Rem & .308 Win match ammo. Good choice D...
      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• DIANEB
        Warrior
        • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Mesa1978 View Post
        Good buy.

Thanks ??

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

I've got a Forster 65G Micrometer seater, too.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• DIANEB
            Warrior
            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
            I use the same Forester seating dies for loading my .223 Rem & .308 Win match ammo. Good choice D...

Thanks good to know...I got tried of my RCBS seating die...
            It left marks on the bullets and the runout wasn't very good...

Comment

• Mesa1978
              Warrior
              • May 2015

Excellent seating die for Grendel.

Comment

• Serenitynow
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2022

I'm really new ( haven't actually started yet ) to reloading.
                I have the Lee die set to use for this.
                How does this seating die differ from what's in my kit ?

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

Measurable micrometer adjustment. You know the turn value speeding up the seating process. No guessing involved.

Comment

• Serenitynow
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2022

Oh. Ok. Thanks

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DIANEB View Post
                      Thanks good to know...I got tried of my RCBS seating die...
                      It left marks on the bullets and the runout wasn't very good...
                      DB:

I agree with you about the quality of RCBS gear these days. On par with Lyman as being one rung above Lee but nothing I would spend money on unless they were the only ones selling the item.

If you are talking about rings around the ogive when seating, the stem wasn't counterbored for the particular bullet ogive you are using.

I am betting that Forster has a couple of different sized stems so you may want to ask them which one is best for the specific bullet you are using.

Just note that you may never find one that won't leave a little ring on the ogive.

Of course the ring is there because the neck was sized down pretty small and it is taking a lot of pressure to seat the bullet. Or you are using some seriously compressed loads.

You won't go wrong with Forster. Buying the top end gear means you won't be buying a seating die for the Grendel again.

LR-55

Comment

• DIANEB
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2020

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                        DB:

I agree with you about the quality of RCBS gear these days. On par with Lyman as being one rung above Lee but nothing I would spend money on unless they were the only ones selling the item.

If you are talking about rings around the ogive when seating, the stem wasn't counterbored for the particular bullet ogive you are using.

I am betting that Forster has a couple of different sized stems so you may want to ask them which one is best for the specific bullet you are using.

Just note that you may never find one that won't leave a little ring on the ogive.

Of course the ring is there because the neck was sized down pretty small and it is taking a lot of pressure to seat the bullet. Or you are using some seriously compressed loads.

You won't go wrong with Forster. Buying the top end gear means you won't be buying a seating die for the Grendel again.

LR-55
                        Yep you're right...Now that I have the Mighty Armory FL sizing die the bullets seat much smoother...
                        Also I haven't loaded any compressed loads yet...
                        Later today I will get to try out the Forster seating die...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by DIANEB; 10-07-2022, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• SCJim
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2019

Forster makes nice dies, I own a couple myself. They are well made.

To cure the runout though, pull the expander ball on your sizing dies and go to a mandrel expanding system. Another school of thought is unless the extractor is holding the case snugly against the bolt face the cartridge will be laying on the bottom of the chamber, so the bullet will never be in perfect alignment unless it is jammed into the lands. Myself I fall into the Indian counts more than the arrow kind of guy, these days. Seen too many people try and buy first place finishes in competition and just give up when they realize they can't buy talent. I don't think you need to though judging from the groups you post Still nice gear is nice to have .

Comment

• DIANEB
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by SCJim View Post
                            Forster makes nice dies, I own a couple myself. They are well made.

To cure the runout though, pull the expander ball on your sizing dies and go to a mandrel expanding system. Another school of thought is unless the extractor is holding the case snugly against the bolt face the cartridge will be laying on the bottom of the chamber, so the bullet will never be in perfect alignment unless it is jammed into the lands. Myself I fall into the Indian counts more than the arrow kind of guy, these days. Seen too many people try and buy first place finishes in competition and just give up when they realize they can't buy talent. I don't think you need to though judging from the groups you post Still nice gear is nice to have .

I just loaded 20 rounds and checked them on the runout gauge and it barely moved...

Comment

• SCJim
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by DIANEB View Post
                              I just loaded 20 rounds and checked them on the runout gauge and it barely moved...
                              what runout gage are you using . The Hornady which holds the bullet between the case head and the meplat, or the Sinclair/Redding/Accuracy 1 style which has the case riding on 2 rollers. I have noticed that with the Hornady with gas rifle ammo the case head can get tweaked a bit and show runout and when the case round is checked on one of the others the runout goes away. Case head tweaking can open up an entirely new can of worms based on a old US Army study that found that cases the were repeatedly fired from a Garrand and reloaded had reduced accuracy when the case heads became "tweaked"

Comment

Working...
                              X