• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stonehog
    Warrior
    • Oct 2021

LeverEvolution Velocity Consistency with 120-130gr Bullets

I did some 5-shot group/ES testing today using the same charge of LeverEvolution (30.7) with 6 different bullets. I tested using an 18" Faxon barreled AR, 5-shots per projectile, 100 yds, 65 degrees, no wind. I used a Magnetospeed chrono to track velocities.
    Bullets included 120 Gold Dot, 120 Pro Hunter, 123 ELD-M, 123 SST, 129 Spire Pt, 130 TGK.

The average velocity for all shots fired was 2466. This powder doesn't seem to care about 10 grs of bullet weight all that much. Top velocity was 120 Pro Hunter at 2481 ave. Lowest was 120 Gold Dot tied with 129 Spire Pt at 2458 ave. These were not max loads, but looked promising in my ladder testing with the various bullets. Has anyone done this type of test with other powders?

Picture1.pdf
  • NDSwede
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2022

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

LVR seems to perform well under the heavier Grendel bullet weights. I have a LVR 6mmARC load for the Hornady 105 BTHP that is just outstanding. I'm just starting to experiment with it as a 77 SMK propellent. I've had some decent velocities and excellent ES and SD numbers.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• daved20319
        Warrior
        • May 2019

Wanting to work up a load with this powder and the Hornady 129 gr. Interlock. Had the powder on a shelf for at least a couple of years and never got around to trying it, then sold my Grendel. Recently got a new Grendel, AR platform this time, so figured it was time I did something with this powder. All of which is my lead-up to the question, if 30.7 gr. isn't a max load, what is? And what's a reasonable starting charge? And while I'm asking what about the 120 gr. Pro Hunter? If it matters, rifle is a BCA side charger, 20" SS heavy barrel with rifle length gas system, on an Aero M4E1 lower. Thanks!

Dave
        Last edited by daved20319; 10-15-2022, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by daved20319 View Post
          Wanting to work up a load with this powder and the Hornady 129 gr. Interlock. Had the powder on a shelf for at least a couple of years and never got around to trying it, then sold my Grendel. Recently got a new Grendel, AR platform this time, so figured it was time I did something with this powder. All of which is my lead-up to the question, if 30.7 gr. isn't a max load, what is? And what's a reasonable starting charge? And while I'm asking what about the 120 gr. Pro Hunter? If it matters, rifle is a BCA side charger, 20" SS heavy barrel with rifle length gas system, on an Aero M4E1 lower. Thanks!

Dave
          Lever and CFE223 have very similar burn rates and load density. I shoot a lot of Lever out my bolt guns and have always use the CFE 223 data as a starting point with Lever. So far, no surprises!

Comment

• daved20319
            Warrior
            • May 2019

Thanks, Harpoon1, that's just what I needed.

Dave

Comment

• Harpoon1
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by daved20319 View Post
              Thanks, Harpoon1, that's just what I needed.

Dave
              Last edited by Harpoon1; 10-17-2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X