• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Six5x39
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

Help with ocw test on my howa

Fellas , I did some test using 2 powders and I gotta admit , I lack of finding nodes and unsure where to go from here . I have read that in ocw test you don't just look for the one that has tightest group . Is it true that I should I be looking for 2 string that is very similar and load them right in the middle ?

One thing is mind that is I have to test the accuracy and velocity separately . In prior testing my magentospeed does change poi when installed . Could you look at these results and point me to right direction? Thanks

• SCJim
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

I loaded the image into Ontarget and came up with this composite of the 10 rounds between 29.1 and 29.7. . Notice the vertical of just at 1 MOA, the horizontal would have been right at 1 MOA also except for the flyers on the lower right which were both right at the same spot. That indicates to me that they were shooter error not ammo or rifle related. I then included 29.7 and again it looks like you are dropping a shot or so down and to the right, possible wind or possible cheek weld issue. l would load 50 rounds at 29.4 and work on technique and use wind flags, home made made or bought. Just my opinion of course. If they shoot good work on seating depth moving the bullet out or inward in .003 increments
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SCJim; 10-07-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
      Warrior
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post

I have read that in ocw test you don't just look for the one that has tightest group . Is it true that I should I be looking for 2 string that is very similar and load them right in the middle ?

Shoot all groups at the center of each target.

You plot the center of mass (COM) of each group.

Take note of how the COM moves in relation to the center aiming point.

Find two two groups that don't move, or move the least.

Note the charge weight in between those two groups.

Shoot that weight in between charge weight, hopefully it lands in the same spot.

Now change your seating depth to shrink your group size.

Why do this? You should have about a + or - 0.5gr sweet spot that all shoots to the same spot. Things will have to change dramatically in your reloading or temperature to effect your accuracy.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
        Warrior
        • Nov 2018

Your groups are a bit vague. What power scope did you use? Did you shoot off a bench with a steady front and rear bag?

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
          Warrior
          • Nov 2018

What rifle are you using? Your brass looks like your rifle is over gassed. Maybe just shadows. Do you have flat spots on your rims from the extractor? Hopefully you don't reply with it is a bolt action...

Comment

• Six5x39
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

Hey happy2shoot ,
            I'm using front and rear bag . Leupold 4-12x40 plex . And yes it's a bolt action .

I posted in other forum and I should try this method
            Last edited by Six5x39; 10-07-2022, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

The XBR load at 30.0 grains looks the best. All XBR loads are in the same spot. You seem to have a pattern of open and close going on there. Re-shoot the 30.0 grain load as is again along with new 30.0 gr loads with different overall lengths. Looks like you are at max length now so go shorter in 0.003" increments. Try 4 increments.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
                Hey happy2shoot ,
                I'm using front and rear bag . Leupold 4-12x40 plex . And yes it's a bolt action .

I posted in other forum and I should try this method
                http://www.ocwreloading.com/about.html

Comment

• Six5x39
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2017

^ yea I did notice on new brass and ran through sizing on neck part . Thanks I guys ! I'll give those a try

Comment

• outbreaker
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

Jumps are too large. When I am doing OCW I do .1gr jumps in the grendel

Comment

Working...
                    X