Clear All
  • WestMOhunter
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2022

Neck tension, dies, ES/SD

• Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 10-08-2022, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

Low/single digit sd out of an AR is entirely achievable with ball powders. If I don't run a single digit SD over 20 shots, then I move on. Not a difficult thing to obtain, just be sure you are full charge or slightly compressed and things tend to behave.

Comment

• WestMOhunter
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2022

Harpoon, yes AR platform. Thanks for the mandrel expander suggestion.

To both responses.... I understand that 30 - 40 ES over 3 - 5 shots isn't going to substantially affect accuracy to whack stuff up to 250-300 yds. I have more capable options for distance. But I like figuring this stuff out and want to shoot paper or bang steel farther. I can shoot 2.5" - 4" groups on avg. at 450 yds with this combo, so it's not like I have a major problem. No noticeable difference b/n BR4 and 450s. I have used lots of 8208 and less CFE223. My opinion... of course both are fine. Had loads with Nosler CC 123, BT 120 and Hornady SST that all shot well in the 28-28.3 gr. range for 8208, but they were hotter with similar (not quite as good with 123 CCs) accuracy to AR Comp. My .223 Wylde barrel also prefers AR Comp. I shoot when it's 90 and high humidity a lot, but also when it's in the 20s - 30s. I've gone through enough components to prefer AR Comp for 120-123 in my rig.

Any thoughts on the bushing die question? Thanks.

Comment

• Harpoon1
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2017

Any thoughts on the bushing die question? Thanks.
          Last edited by Harpoon1; 10-09-2022, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• WestMOhunter
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2022

https://youtu.be/gY65LDC64KM
            Last edited by WestMOhunter; 10-09-2022, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• DHD
              Bloodstained
              • May 2022

Good questions and good answers too.

I'll state that I go after accurate reloading for AR's the same way I do it for my 600 yard Benchrest bolt actions. I prep my brass with all the tricks, I anneal every time (Vertex so it's quick and easy), I use Wilson FL bushing die for the 6.5 Grendel (and 223) with a .261" bushing and then use a 21st Century .262" expander, I put a lot of LeverRevolution in the case, use either a CCI 450 or a Wolf SRM primer, and seat the bullets long. The jury is still out if the Lee FCD gives me anything. The above is mainly for a 120 SMK. When I shoot the 107/108's I'll do the same but switch to 8208. One could say it's a lot of effort, and it is but I have all the tools and enjoy the chase.

I'll shoot for accuracy @ 300 yards while chronographing on steel (i use an Oehler). The sd's will stay under 10.

I wish I could say that the 223 will do the same as far as sd's are concerned, but that little rascal is a numbers PITA but still very accurate.

I feel that a good hard seated primer in a uniformed primer pocket and a full case of powder are beneficial to both low numbers and high accuracy. I also feel that annealed (correctly) cases that are sized then expanded can never hurt. Another thing I've noticed across mamy brands of seaters is that some just won't seat bullets to the same depth. I prefer, for dies used in a press, either Forster or Redding. They aren't liars like Hornady seaters can be. Inconsistent seating depth can and will ruin all that hard work.

Comment

• BluteEhre
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2018

Do you chamber a round a bunch of times to be sure your not pushing a bullet various depths into the case? Just asking since you stated you dont use the Lee Factory crimp die and shoot out of a semi auto.

Also could try weight sorting the brass to keep it consistant. I try to sort mine within .5 grain. I've seen hornady vary up to 6 grains.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

I'm not entirely sure grade of barrel has too much to do with finding good es/sd

Criterion bought from brownells

Yes, this is an ar15. Low sd / es is entirely possible. Never once have I sorted my brass by weight or volume.
                  I use a full length die with expander mandrel built in (mighty armory)

Posted results were from a hornady die set.

The magic to consistently low sd/es? A good scale that above all else is repeatable.

Want to go super retard? Weight and sort your primers. You will pull es/sd down more and faster than chasing neck tension. You already have a scale presumably, this is low hanging fruit that requires no investment other than time.

Comment

• BluteEhre
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2018

I thought you gave credit to leverevolution powder for such low numbers in another post. What scale do you happen to use? I handweigh every charge on a electonic hornady outfit and havent been able to get that amazing of numbers.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by BluteEhre View Post
                      I thought you gave credit to leverevolution powder for such low numbers in another post. What scale do you happen to use? I handweigh every charge on a electonic hornady outfit and havent been able to get that amazing of numbers.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by BluteEhre View Post
                        Have had a keg of Lever laying around for a couple of years now and finally got around to trying some. Wow. Can’t believe the ES/SD numbers I’m seeing with it, especially being a spherical powder. Maybe Im late to the party and shouldn’t be surprised. Anyway........... Howa HB 20” Lever/Hornady Brass/ CCI 400 123 ELD-M 2.366

Comment

• WestMOhunter
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2022

Comment

Working...
                          X