• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

Winchester Staball Match

Anyone got the inside scoop?

Winchester® StaBALL™ Match is a temperature-insensitive, double-base, BALL® Powder, stable in extreme-hot or -cold conditions. This powder provides optimal loading density in cartridges appropriate for the burn speed, which is ideal for high-BC heavy for caliber bullets in 223 Remington, 224 Valkyrie, 22-250 Remington, 308 Winchester, 30-06 and many more.

Wondering where this lands in the burn rate charts. The description is appealing
  • A.D.D. AR
    Warrior
    • Oct 2014

Zen- on accurate shooter forum they say new staball match on the burn chart is #112. (varget is 110 and BLC2 is 113)
    they have the new staball HD is #162 (retumbo is 161.)

looks pretty interesting if it really is "temp stable"
    -mike

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

I was going to ask who is going to try staball match first.
      Here is a burn rate chart to bookmark. https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploa...rate-chart.pdf
      There is load data posted on Discord for .308, .223, and 6 Arc. The source wasn't in that post but likely the new Hodgdon load manual.
      Last edited by Lemonaid; 01-05-2023, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• Fess
        Warrior
        • Jun 2019

I have begun to think that the introduction of specifically blended powders like Leverevolution and CFE223 have made the burn rate chart a little less useful. Most of my knowledge is about the 30-30 where the fastest load is often Leverevolution, but the "old faithful" is IMR 3031. On the Hodgdon/IMR/Accurate burn rate chart, 3031 is at 85 and Leverevolution is WAY farther down the list at 118. Although part of that has to do with the packing density of the powder (a heavier weight of LE fits in the case), there is more at play here.

I know that technically all powders are blends, but some of the new ones seem to be different to create what Hornady calls a more "progressive" (ie. flatter) pressure curve. I suspect that other powder manufacturers are now playing the same game.

Comment

• Zeneffect
          Chieftain
          • May 2020

seeing where its at in the burn rate chart, ill be trying some for sure. looks like it should be good for the 120s and 123s based on where its sitting. reloader 15.5 looks interesting as well.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

FWIW, I tried it with 105s in 6 ARC. Gave Varget like speeds without Varget like accuracy or SDs. I had bought it to try in 6.5 CM but couldn't get SDs below 20.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

Ordered 2# of staball match, and 2# of varget to compare them. I plan to test in 6.5 grendel and .223 remington.
              Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-17-2023, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

expecting this to arrive on monday

what do you guys want to see from it? I have choices.

130gr Hornady ELDM
                130gr Norma GT
                130gr Berger AR OTM
                130gr Berger VLD
                135gr Hornady A-Tip
                123gr Hornady ELDM
                123gr Hornady BTHP
                120gr Hornday ELDM
                120gr Sierra Match King
                120gr Maker T-Rex
                108gr Lapua Scenar
                85gr Sierra Varminter

I will be doing the initial load development for at least 1x 130gr projectile and 1x in the 120-123gr range. I'll let you guys choose which.

rifle(s) will be 22" criterion + jp bolt w/ sharps carrier. both chambers and distance to lands are within .001 of each other so if i break something, i keep going. maybe I get 2 birds out of this and break a bolt so i have an excuse to get the sharps s7 one and try to break it.

groups to be captured and measured by ballistix app. velocity to be recorded with magnetospeed. ive been searching and searching and not seeing a single bit of load data or groups or even real discussion regarding this new powder and Grendel so its a whole new world. I am still digging looking for a quasi-powder fill correlation vs another powder (offset or not i dont care so long as the relationship appears consistent) and on the high end it seems to fill similar to 2520 or blc2, but on the low end not at all... also not really seeing any data regarding a compressed load so im guessing thats probably going to be a no-no with this powder. I *think* since the expected velocity is pretty similar to varget I will let the chrono tell me where to stop... my only real question is where to begin.
                Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-19-2023, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

130gr ELD-M and 130gr Berger AR Hybrid

123gr ELD-M

I thought there were some threads on this powder before. Did you do a search with the CSE?
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

staball match is different than staball 6.5. i know there are threads on 6.5 but afik match is new 2023 powder release. ive put a good few hours into searching, if it is as simple as use another search engine then its just verification that i am indeed a moron.

hodgon is the only load data i can find and closest i can get is 6mm arc so im looking and running math there vs grendel to figure out a starting charge, then will monitor the chrono on the way up while still watching the brass (as useless as it might be, my rational is there is a slim chance overpressure occurs well below expected velocity and if im only watching the chrono i wont catch it early enough)

varget will be my control group for velocity so i know where my relative speed limits are as this is a well known powder with predictable characteristics.

6mm arc info

*edit*

ok just ran a bunch of numbers through my head and I think I can get away with starting at 26.3gr and working up from there for both 123 and 130gr. someone please tell me if this looks wrong or dangerous. midsouth put out a video that shows a picture of the stuff, and i must say it looks strange to me.
                    Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-19-2023, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• stonehog
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2021

Interested in the 130 and 120-123s primarily. I've been looking at this release - it would be great if this one is accurate with low SDs. I have good supply of SW Match Rifle and LeverEvolution - two current faves, so it will be interesting to see if this has similar velocity/pressure numbers.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2020

based on the info i can gather, it wont have the same velocity as lvr. the rest is a complete unknown but from every other cartridge i should expect varget like velocity +-30fps

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Based on the ARC data, I'd wager you'll safely max out in the mid 2400s with 123s in a 22".
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Zeneffect
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2020

If the 22 likes it, I'll try it in the 28" to see what it does with a little barrel length behind it. I would really like to reserve the 8208 I have for the 120gr smk and find something else for the 123eld. Throwing the dice to see if I come up lucky

Comment

• Harpoon1
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X