• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vaguru
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2022

COL on Load Data

Reading as much on load data for the 6.5G as I can find on here. Much of the data doesn't include the COL. To me this is a very important measurement.

So....with that stated, what COL do those of you shooting Hornady 120 ELDm use with your loads. I know it will be chamber/barrel specific, just curious. It appears as though in my new barrel these bullets hit leade at 2.220", measured. Guess I'll have to load them a bit shorter, they do seem to have a long bearing surface.

I measured some of my factory Hornady 123SST ammo. The COL on the lot I have doesn't match what others have posted, mine coming in at 2.238" +/- .002" average. Again, just curious to what you have found.

Thanks for replies.
  • DIANEB
    Warrior
    • Oct 2020

The Hornady book #11 states 2.245 for those bullets but most people load COAL to magazine length which is about 2.260...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DIANEB; 01-08-2023, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• DeNinny
      Warrior
      • Sep 2022

I have to load 120gr ELD-Ms to 2.190" for same reasons - touching the lands at Hornady book value down to 2.220".

Comment

• Mark611
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

Are you shooting a bolt gun or an AR? Most of the load data I see from manuals or powder manufactures is 2.260 and that's due to case fill and the bullets compressing the powder charge with a 120 or 123gn ELDM, I mainly look at loads for AR rifles not bolt actions, @2.260 is also a safe max length for most AR mags and powder charges that are at near max charges to help keep the pressure down, JMO, YMMV

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

Be careful with 120 eld and 95 vmax they have different shape ogives- in a SAAMI chamber, you will want to load them to 2.190'' or so, but it looks like you have already measured in your chamber- always a smart idea!!!!

Comment

• Mark611
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

I know the ojive's are different on all the bullets, but even loading to mag length at 2.260 I'm still 25 to 30k off the rifling or Jam length in my AR Grendel, this why I asked you what action are you using?

Comment

• vaguru
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2022

Dies arrived today so I was able to do a plunk test with seated bullets and compare to measurement arrived at with the cleaning rod method.

Both came out to 2.220" to engage leade/lands. At 2.219" seated cartridge falls back out without help. So....touch with the 120 ELDM is 2.220", loaded test loads with a COL of 2.200".

Don't want to get too carried away with COL yet, but what do you all find works best with this bullet?

This is an AR platform upper.

Comment

Working...
              X