• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel209
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2020

65grendel separate l ok ad data bolt vs gas

So I hope this had not been started already, it so I apologize.

Hornady released the 6mm Arc with a page of Data for the gas gun and separate for the bolt gun.

Yet there is none like that for the grendel? Well mainly gas gun data which is limited at 52kpsi
    Last edited by Grendel209; 03-27-2023, 05:37 AM.
  • CoyoteConquest
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2021

I think it really came down to it was not Hornady's cartridge and when Alexander arms came out with it they mostly thought of it as an AR15 cartridge.
    Even now I think most people feel like it's an AR cartridge. I know there are bolt guns but not a lot of people have them and most feel like their are better options. I may be wrong but that's my thoughts on it.
    Hornady is trying to also market to the bolt gun long range and competition crowd touting the long range ballistics of the ARC. To them it was worth doing data on both if it made them more money
    Last edited by CoyoteConquest; 03-27-2023, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Fess
      Warrior
      • Jun 2019

Arne Brennan, one of the developers of the cartridge ran the Grendel pretty hot in his competition bolt gun. Most bolt guns have better cartridge support at the base than semi-autos, so they can run at higher pressures without destroying brass.

CoyoteConquest is right that Hornady sees the the ARC as two separate cartridges and is pushing it to be used on bolt guns as well as gas guns. Self-spotting is very important is PRS and some other shooting sports, so some competitors have switched from something like a 6mm Creedmoor to the 6mm ARC it make it easier to see where their own bullets hit.

Comment

• Grendel209
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2020

Appreciate both of you're responses. Makes sense to me. I would love to see some bolt loading data still.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• trubulator
            Warrior
            • Aug 2022

So is the primary advantage of a bolt gun with this cartridge simply taht you can generally load to a longer OAL?

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

There has been some discussion about this in the past you can find with the search engine. I started loading to a bit higher pressure levels for the bolt but decided the shortened brass life wasn't worth it. I think Bill Alexander was quoted or perhaps posted himself the Brass was pressure spec for 58K but at that it would provide shorter brass life than the lower spec for the AR.

When posting loads for some boltaction loads I always would state it is for boltaction if it was any above SAAMI per load data or programs. At 52K you will not see pressure signs until well above that.

If I want faster than standard SAAMI pressure loads for the 6.5 I have the option of breaking out the 6.5-284 or 264 Win Mag so I do not see a need to press the issue and SAAMI loads in the Grendel have worked for everything I ask of it.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by trubulator View Post
                So is the primary advantage of a bolt gun with this cartridge simply taht you can generally load to a longer OAL?
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• trubulator
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2022

Thanks. I mostly bought a bolt gun because I am committed to the cartridge and wanted an option in case the day comes when I can no longer hunt with a scary black rifle. If I really need to step up the power I will get out the 30-06.

Comment

• Fess
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2019

Some people just like bolt guns. There is no shame in that. They can be light and easy to carry. For what a round costs these days, being able to burn ammo at a faster rate does not always make a bunch of sense. Especially if you are working on accuracy. I have a couple of other semi-auto rifles that shoot less expensive ammo for when I want to blast (but the last range I went to did not allow rapid fire anyway). You can also make reduced-recoil loads or load with non-optimum powders and not worry about whether it will consistently cycle the action. To be honest, I really wish I could find an inexpensive bolt gun in an intermediate cartridge that is as slick as my Lee Enfield. I really enjoy working a smooth bolt quickly.

I would also say that it is easier to teach someone to shoot with a bolt gun. One of my first experiences with a non-22 autoloader resulted in an accidental double where the second round went high enough over the target that it punched through the wall of the indoor range. It ruined my confidence (and possibly someone's window).

Comment

• trubulator
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                      Some people just like bolt guns. There is no shame in that. They can be light and easy to carry. For what a round costs these days, being able to burn ammo at a faster rate does not always make a bunch of sense. Especially if you are working on accuracy. I have a couple of other semi-auto rifles that shoot less expensive ammo for when I want to blast (but the last range I went to did not allow rapid fire anyway). You can also make reduced-recoil loads or load with non-optimum powders and not worry about whether it will consistently cycle the action. To be honest, I really wish I could find an inexpensive bolt gun in an intermediate cartridge that is as slick as my Lee Enfield. I really enjoy working a smooth bolt quickly.

I would also say that it is easier to teach someone to shoot with a bolt gun. One of my first experiences with a non-22 autoloader resulted in an accidental double where the second round went high enough over the target that it punched through the wall of the indoor range. It ruined my confidence (and possibly someone's window).
                      Yeah, I get all that. Consider me an experienced shooter and hunter. Was mostly just curious what the reloading implications were.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Yeah, I get all that. Consider me an experienced shooter and hunter. Was mostly just curious what the reloading implications were.
                        Last edited by Harpoon1; 03-28-2023, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Fess
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                          Alexander Arms never submitted data for a Grendel bolt gun and higher pressures to SAAMI. Hornady did both with the ARC.
                          I am not so sure. The information published thus far from SAAMI lists only 52,000 psi.

Comment

• trubulator
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2022

At this point I am kind of stuck having ammo I can use in any of my grendels, so I suppose it really doesn't matter. I actually care about temp sensitivity as my huts can be 10 degrees or 80. So I am a little leery of CFE223.

Comment

Working...
                            X