• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • USAF Retired
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2022

Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

I am finally loading for my Grendel. PSA Upper and Stag lower. This is for deer hunting. I have in stock - 120 grain Ballistic Tip, 120 grain E-Tip and 125 grain Partition. Looking at expansion, the Ballistic Tip wins out. However, I would like a pass through for tracking, and that leaves the Partition and the E-Tip. Thinking the Partition is maybe the good go between? Use the Ballistic Tip for Coyotes and maybe save the E-Tip for the Creedmoor?

Any real world experience out there? Expert opinion?
  • Happy2Shoot
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

I found no fault in anything you said, or want. Happy hunting.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

What barrel length will you use?

You will likely find the greatest possible MV with the ballistic tips, they should not have any trouble creating a pass through, dependent on the MV, target distance and hit location.
      a) the partitions load more like a mono, causing slower MV's due to the copper partition restricting bullet engraving.
      b) the e-tips being mono, tend to be longer length so will intrude into the powder capacity more.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• USAF Retired
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2022

It is a 20" barrel.
        I appreciate the input. I plan on keeping shots withing 200, but it is at those further distances I am concerned about passthrough. I have one spot that reaches out to about 250, but I will probably take the Creedmoor if I hunt that spot.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
          Warrior
          • Jul 2021

Comment

• USAF Retired
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2022

Originally posted by USAF Retired
            Much appreciated. I loaded some Partitions up last night. I have enough brass left doe testing, so plan on loading the rest with BT and H335. The E-Tips should be a devastating deer round in my 6.5 Creedmoor.
            Much appreciated. I loaded some Partitions up last night. I have enough brass left do testing, so plan on loading the rest with BT and H335. The E-Tips should be a devastating deer round in my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by USAF Retired View Post
              I am finally loading for my Grendel. PSA Upper and Stag lower. This is for deer hunting. I have in stock - 120 grain Ballistic Tip, 120 grain E-Tip and 125 grain Partition. Looking at expansion, the Ballistic Tip wins out. However, I would like a pass through for tracking, and that leaves the Partition and the E-Tip. Thinking the Partition is maybe the good go between? Use the Ballistic Tip for Coyotes and maybe save the E-Tip for the Creedmoor?

Any real world experience out there? Expert opinion?
              You nailed exactly what I would do with those choices.

E-Tip likes faster impact velocities to get expansion performance.

120gr Ballistic Tip has been successfully used in a lot of deer harvesting. JD Jones used that as his preferred deer bullet in 6.5 Grendel.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• natebonebusta
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2022

I'm like you and tend to think my 6.5 Grendel will be my short range rig (under 250) and let my 6.5 creedmoor do the longer range work.
                For the Grendel I've loaded 123sst's with h335, and the 120 Noser BT's with Tac. I get about 100fps less velocity with the Tac/BT load at
                2,363fps. I have no in field experience with them, yet.
                For the creedmoor I went with 129gr interlock for that poor man's partition route. Getting about 2,800fps with a stout dose of h4350. NC deer won't be able to handle either from all the reading l've done. You should have success with the above mentioned combinations.

Comment

• USAF Retired
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2022

Originally posted by natebonebusta View Post
                  I'm like you and tend to think my 6.5 Grendel will be my short range rig (under 250) and let my 6.5 creedmoor do the longer range work.
                  For the Grendel I've loaded 123sst's with h335, and the 120 Noser BT's with Tac. I get about 100fps less velocity with the Tac/BT load at
                  2,363fps. I have no in field experience with them, yet.
                  For the creedmoor I went with 129gr interlock for that poor man's partition route. Getting about 2,800fps with a stout dose of h4350. NC deer won't be able to handle either from all the reading l've done. You should have success with the above mentioned combinations.
                  NC deer is what I am after as well. Hunting Moore County. Appreciate the input. I am going to shoot both the Partitions and the BTs and see what accuracy I get. Expecting the BTs to be more accurate with the tip and boat tail.

Comment

• USAF Retired
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2022

Just picked up a couple hundred 129 grain ABLRs. I need to get some TAC powder, though. Only one I have listed is Varget and it is way slow. I think this will give me what I am looking for.

Comment

• natebonebusta
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2022

Originally posted by USAF Retired View Post
                      NC deer is what I am after as well. Hunting Moore County. Appreciate the input. I am going to shoot both the Partitions and the BTs and see what accuracy I get. Expecting the BTs to be more accurate with the tip and boat tail.

Comment

• USAF Retired
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2022

I actually get powder from Defender Ammo in Raeford. They are always stocked up. I have not been by Ed's, but heard good stuff. I am over in Harnett County. Hunt in Moore.

Comment

• trubulator
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2022

Pay close attention to impact velocity. SSTs and BTs open up pretty low, ABLRs even lower.

With 123 grain SSTs I got 2400FPS and high accuracy with 335 in a 20" barrel, 2350FPS with TAC. Last fall I shot a big doe at 325 yards with the 335 load and I did not get an exit, but every last bit of energy from that bullet dumped into the vitals. That doe went straight down and did not move. Make a good shot and you should have no issues with the BT. I normally avoid the SST and BT soft bullets in higher power cartridges because they tend to fragment and can grenade if they hit hard bones, but they seem ideally suited for the Grendel.

If you use the partitions, I would be really interested in hearing how they do. They are my favorite bullet in 30-06, but I wonder how well they open with Grendel

Comment

• muvef
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2017

I shot a dozen deer with the 120 BT's and 8208 at 2400 fps. Broad side shots don't always get a pass through. It really depends on the size of the deer.

Every gun is different, but the BT's will probably be more accurate than the others.

I'm thinking about changing to a soft point later on just because of the cost of the BT. Besides that, I don't have any complaints using them.

Comment

• USAF Retired
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2022

Originally posted by muvef View Post
                              I shot a dozen deer with the 120 BT's and 8208 at 2400 fps. Broad side shots don't always get a pass through. It really depends on the size of the deer.

Every gun is different, but the BT's will probably be more accurate than the others.

I'm thinking about changing to a soft point later on just because of the cost of the BT. Besides that, I don't have any complaints using them.
                              Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X