Area 419 Powder funnel thumbs up or could it work better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

Area 419 Powder funnel thumbs up or could it work better?

For those who have tried the Area 419 powder funnel, How are they working for you in terms of function? Primary concern I have is if the ball powders are flowing flawlessly?
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

What does a $100 funnel get you supposedly? I'm genuinely asking because I don't understand how this will improve sd, es, or accuracy in any way. I have never had an issue with ball powders using a lee funnel and a used dryer sheet to wipe it down so haven't really looked into anything else. A funnel is a funnel as long as it fits and you aren't losing kernels isn't it? What am I missing?
    Last edited by Zeneffect; 05-15-2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• imaguy3
      Warrior
      • Mar 2018

I kind of agree with zen... I have never considered changing from the plastic universal one that Hornady provided in my kit. That being said this prompted me to search on amazon to see what else is out there and cheaper..

Three big players also have one. I don't care for the oring on the frankford, the lyman appears the same... however I like the Hornady. It has a threaded brass insert at bottom which helps with c.o.g. as well as preventing kernals from getting stuck. Plus it's half the price of 419.

I will tell you using the universal one on my big rifle calibers is slow and annoying getting all the powder through the small hole. Once in a while I'd have to tap the funnel to get it to unplug or get the last hanging kernal in the case. Having an appropriately sized hole and being aluminum would end that annoyance. I'm ordering the Hornady..

Last edited by imaguy3; 05-15-2023, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
        Warrior
        • Nov 2018

I have the LYMAN set that is caliber specific groups (sort of) its aluminum with different funnel ends that just press on and off. I'm funny that I don't like plastic and bought this several years ago ( around $40.00) and really like it. No problems with any of the powders that I have used.
        I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

I'm with Zene on this one - Powder funnels do not need to be expensive.

As long as it's clean so no friction, you can develop a technique to make sure it's all in before separating the funnel from the case. For compressed loads I sometimes touch the case base against a vibrating tumbler for a couple of seconds to settle the powder, or use a longer drop tube.

The Lee funnel I was using for years eventually wore through the shoulder and jammed down the neck of a .223 case. It still works for larger calibres so kept as a spare. I've been using the cheap RCBS green funnel lately that works on .22-50cal without issue. That said, I got a quick change funnel for loading .17cal because the shoulders on the usual suspects are .22 upwards. None of them have had any static electricity issues.

Comment

• SDguy
            Warrior
            • Oct 2015

My experience was a overall disapointment. Purchased a area 419 funnel set from Midway USA &, sorry to report the function of the funnel in my case was a less than, experience. The machining & design was sweet from a cool factor standpoint, though A little finish de-burring of the internal ribs was overlooked. As a result powder flow is compromised, based on my experience with PP2000.

It was fairly hard for me to not just polish up the internal burrs & move on. Though at the price I should not need to do anything of the sort. & if the polishing did not work then I would own the problem. Contacted the company & was a bit less than impressed with the lack of reaching out to make things right.

Contacted Midway USA & have started the return process. Simply expected more at this price point in the way of quality & or customer support. Expect most have a better experience than I have. Enough other good options out there & I opted to change course.

I live by the best customer support is the support you do not need to use. In this case i was in need & was not satisfied.
            Last edited by SDguy; 05-17-2023, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• jasper2408
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

I use the Lee powder funnel (for 5.56, 6.5Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor). Have 2 of them and once they get coated with whatever the gray stuff is (coating from the powder or graphite, just guessing) they are static free. I did have to use a dryer sheet at first but now they are good to go.

I did look at buying one of the aluminum sets but decided to just stay with what I had as I would not be gaining anything for my needs.

Just my .02.

Comment

• imaguy3
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

@sdguy...

My hornady shows up tomorrow... I'll let you know what I think.

Comment

• imaguy3
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2018

This hornady one is pretty nice for sure. The bottom weighted aspect of it allows it to balance easily on brass without being tippy. Additionally it releases from the case cleanly, my plastic one has stuck before.

In looking closely at my plastic one though I noticed something interesting.. I had building occuring on the inside shoulder where it funnels down to the hole, I scraped it off and it sure looks like lead almost. This funnel has only had powder through it and I've used it for 7yrs or so now... Any idea what is building up off the powder from use?

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

I would say graphite bit that looks way too shiny and bright. Looks like.... zinc. From your powder cup plating? Does this occur where you are tapping?

Comment

• imaguy3
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                      I would say graphite bit that looks way too shiny and bright. Looks like.... zinc. From your powder cup plating? Does this occur where you are tapping?
                      My powder cup shows no wear or lost of plating... I used this stock image of my Hornady one, in the circled area is where the buildup was... In that area is a sharp corner, it was building up on there.

Screenshot 2023-05-21 152718.png

Comment

Working...
                      X