• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Loading for a BCA 20 inch upper.

Most of the ammo I have used in my previous 16" upper was nothing more than Wolf classic FMJ with the bullet being replaced with either the 90 grain TNT or the Nosler 100 grain Partition. This gave very useful accuracy and both bullets provided dead animals. Most of my actual reloading was done for various HOWA Mini rifles. Had one each of all three barrel contours and all went down the road, mostly because they were so hard to not sell for a profit and I did not like the magazine setup or the stock. So I find myself with a new upper and a couple of boxes of ammo loaded for the last HOWA I owned. I pulled the bullets Poured the BLC2 powder into a coffee cup, raised the expander up in my Hornady die to not eject the primer and sized the case to more near factory specs. Then I loaded the BLC2 back into the cases at 28.5 grains then topped them with a 120 grain Barnes Matchburner bullets. Surprisingly this turned out to be a very accurate load. I topped this upper with a 1-4x Primary Arms scope that came off a rifle I got in trade. It has a big dot for an aiming point but this dot was easy to center on a paper plate at 100 yards. I only shot seven of them and four were shot getting the group near center. The last three though still not quite centered went into a very tight group that looks like two shots touching. Soon going to more thoroughly test the rest of those and some loaded with 29.5 grains of BLC2. COL was perfect at 2.245. I might even put a scope meant for shooting groups on it as I have a 6x SWFA SS laying around brand new. On the other hand I could leave the rather course 1-4 on it and do some hog hunting with it Hmmmm. Need another Leupold base made for a 30mm scope first anyway. Midway will fix me up.
  • DIANEB
    Warrior
    • Oct 2020

Try A2520 with the 120gr Barnes or Hornady 120gr ELD-M 28.5 grains and TAC 27.7 grains...
    These loads group under 1 inch in my 18" BCA upper...

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

I do have some AA2520, my lot is a bit fast and have to reduce my loads 2 full grains. Just ordered another set of rings and a base to out fit the SWFA scope. So far this rifle has put out three 3 shot groups under half an inch and I have only fired it around 20 times. Will find out if they were just luck soon enough. I would be happy with 10 shot groups around an inch. Well happier if under an inch.....

Comment

• trubulator
        Warrior
        • Aug 2022

I find 27 grains of TAC and the 120 matchburner to be extremely accurate in all my barrels. Not quite s fast as some of the loads others have posted, but real accurate. I even shot a 54 pound beaver with this load and it was done with one hit.

Comment

• rickt300
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

I decided to stick with BLC2 for a while and leave the 1-4 on it. Shot 5 into just under an inch and after the first two I gave it a click up in adjustment. Supposedly the Primary Arms "clicks" are 1/2 inch. Appears to be the case. Also did a gallon jug test with the Matchburner bullet, gallon milk jugs filled with water in front of my 100 yard berm. Big hole through the first jug, second jug split flat and the bullet fragments found under the third jug that was split almost flat. No harm came to the fourth jug. Will be camping out at the property next Thursday into the weekend so might test it on a hog. The old Hornady brass shows no sign of pressure, swipes. Brass landed in a neat pile on a towel strategically placed around 4 oclock. So far no malfunctions and good accuracy. I would like to remove the flash hider but it was on too tight, my vice with wood in between the jaws couldn't hold the barrel tight enough.
          Last edited by rickt300; 05-19-2023, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
            Chieftain
            • May 2020

pics of flash hider? is it pinned by any chance? maybe a little heat from a propane torch + pb blaster will be enough to get it to expand and break free.

Comment

• rickt300
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
              pics of flash hider? is it pinned by any chance? maybe a little heat from a propane torch + pb blaster will be enough to get it to expand and break free.
              I will need to remove the handguard so I can get the barrel level in my vice and more contact with the barrel. Not pinned, no crush washer just tight. It is shooting just fine so I think I will carry it around for my truck gun and see what comes into view.

Comment

• DIANEB
                Warrior
                • Oct 2020

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
                I will need to remove the handguard so I can get the barrel level in my vice and more contact with the barrel. Not pinned, no crush washer just tight. It is shooting just fine so I think I will carry it around for my truck gun and see what comes into view.

I had to use a heat gun and a strap wrench to get the muzzle break off of my BCA upper...

Comment

• trubulator
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2022

I decided to stick with BLC2 for a while and leave the 1-4 on it. Shot 5 into just under an inch and after the first two I gave it a click up in adjustment. Supposedly the Primary Arms "clicks" are 1/2 inch. Appears to be the case. Also did a gallon jug test with the Matchburner bullet, gallon milk jugs filled with water in front of my 100 yard berm. Big hole through the first jug, second jug split flat and the bullet fragments found under the third jug that was split almost flat. No harm came to the fourth jug. Will be camping out at the property next Thursday into the weekend so might test it on a hog. The old Hornady brass shows no sign of pressure, swipes. Brass landed in a neat pile on a towel strategically placed around 4 oclock. So far no malfunctions and good accuracy. I would like to remove the flash hider but it was on too tight, my vice with wood in between the jaws couldn't hold the barrel tight enough.

I hit the beaver about 30 yards out with a matchburner. Clipped the shoulder on the way through the neck. Bullet pretty much blew the neck up and I found a few fragments and a large exit wound.

Comment

• rickt300
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DIANEB View Post
                    I had to use a heat gun and a strap wrench to get the muzzle break off of my BCA upper...
                    First I have to be able to hold the barrel. My wood inserts for my vice need to be replaced, gone soft after too many abuses. When I get around to it your method is the one I will try first. I want to replace the loud flash hider with a linear compensator. Wish they would offer a thread protector instead of continuing to put those crappy brakes/flashiders on.

Comment

• rickt300
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by trubulator View Post
                      I hit the beaver about 30 yards out with a matchburner. Clipped the shoulder on the way through the neck. Bullet pretty much blew the neck up and I found a few fragments and a large exit wound.
                      Sounds perfect to me.

Comment

• DIANEB
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2020

First I have to be able to hold the barrel. My wood inserts for my vice need to be replaced, gone soft after too many abuses. When I get around to it your method is the one I will try first. I want to replace the loud flash hider with a linear compensator. Wish they would offer a thread protector instead of continuing to put those crappy brakes/flashiders on.

The strap wrench is what I held the barrel with...

Comment

• DIANEB
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2020

Here's how I took the muzzle break off...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• rickt300
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DIANEB View Post
                            Here's how I took the muzzle break off...
                            Hmmm My strap wrench is a bit different than that one but I may give it a try. Headed out to catch some cows that got out sometime last night and are presently hanging out in a huge muddy wheat field. Getting ready to shake a range cube bag and hoping they want range cubes more than fresh wheat. What a pain. Had to miss a match to get these damn cows back on our place.

Comment

• rickt300
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2017

The rings and base came along with a sling swivel stud Mlok so I can mount my bipod to it. I put a 6 power SWFA scope on it with the new attachment devices but haven't tightened it ll up yet. I really like the SWFA SS scopes, other than the knobs being so big.

Comment

Working...
                              X