• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garikfox
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2023

Ammo confusion

Hello Friends, I'm confused on which ammo is best. I thought I studied on which was the best ammo to get so I purchased 11 boxes of AA 123gr. (which I'm hoping doesn't use lead free primers.)

After reading here It's looking like people are mostly using Hornady ammo? Should I get some Hornady ammo too?

Thanks,
    -Garik

Last edited by garikfox; 05-29-2023, 04:04 PM.
    WC 6mm ARC 18", ATLAS S-ONE, AERO M4E1 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, ZEISS Conquest V4 4-16x44mm
    CMMG 5.7x28mm 16", AERO X15 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, MEOPTA OPTIKA5 2-10x42mm
    RUGER-5.7 / GLOCK 43 / GLOCK 19 Gen5
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The Alexander Arms ammo is premium ammo, the first source of ammo since the introduction of 6.5 Grendel.

The 123gr Lapua Scenar is an excellent target load for shooting at distance due to the high BC of that bullet.

Hornady has been popular due to pricing and quality, but prices have gone up over the past 3 years on everything ammo-related much more than other consumer products.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Mesa1978
      Warrior
      • May 2015

Across my 4 Grendels, I get better groups with Alexander Arms Lapua 123 than with Hornady Black.

Comment

• garikfox
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2023

Oh okay thanks guys, looks like I'm okay than.

Does anyone know if the AA is lead free or not ?
        WC 6mm ARC 18", ATLAS S-ONE, AERO M4E1 LWR, MAGPUL MOE SL, ZEISS Conquest V4 4-16x44mm

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by garikfox View Post
            Oh okay thanks guys, looks like I'm okay than.

Does anyone know if the AA is lead free or not ?
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• imaguy3
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

i think he's asking about if the primers are lead free (original post: "which I'm hoping doesn't use lead free primers.")... I still don't understand why it matters

Comment

• garikfox
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2023

Thanks again guys, Yes I want leaded primers. Leaded primers last pretty much forever. Lead free primers seem to last about 10yrs it seems and supposedly the US Military refreshes there stock of lead free ammo every 6 yrs. I'm not for certain but that's what I've been reading.
                Last edited by garikfox; 05-29-2023, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by garikfox View Post
                  Thanks again guys, Yes I want leaded primers. Leaded primers last pretty much forever. Lead free primers seem to last about 10yrs it seems and supposedly the US Military refreshes there stock of lead free ammo every 6 yrs. I'm not for certain but that's what I've been reading.
                  Garik,

It seems primer composition is commercial proprietary information and largely kept from the public. There are no ingredients on the packaging and they won't tell us. It is an evolving science with the earlier corrosion-causing primer compositions replaced with chemicals that are more barrel friendly. So mercury fulminate replaced by lead styphenate. This affects the imperative to clean guns after shooting, with the old dogma still causing widespread hesitancy to leave a gun uncleaned after firing (the exception being suppressors which are corrosion traps). For several decades now the warnings to clean guns immediately after firing have abated, so fair to say harsh corrosion-causing compounds in primers have been replaced in the West.

As for ammunition life, plenty of examples in the shooting community that WWI and II ammunition is still usable today. As long as the cartridge has been protected from external corrosion. I have some old 303 cartridges which work but have to be careful to clean the gun immediately after firing. I also read single-based propellants decompose less readily than double-based - something to think about if you are a long-term prepper. As for the military getting rid of old stock to maintain its efficacy. It's more like a 'Best before' than a 'Use-by-date'. And turning over old stock would be just as much related to the powder as the primer.

This is an interesting article on the subject.
                  Priming compositions for firearms ammunition are mixtures which, when subjected to percussion, provide a sudden burst of flame that serves to ignite the
                  Last edited by Klem; 05-30-2023, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• jasper2408
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2019

Thought I would just add this tidbit of information about primers that I took from an article in Outdoor Life.

The full article is here if you want to read it:

The self-contained metallic cartridge is one of the most significant innovations in the history of firearms. It consists of four items—brass, bullet, powder, and primer.

Here is the relative info from the article that I pieced together:

Current primers compositionNew Catalyst primer compositionCatalyst Primer Formula

Comment

• garikfox
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2023

Great info thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X