• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Koda
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2023

97g Absolute Hammer powders

I'll be working up a load with the 97g Absolute Hammers. The powders I have on hand are A2520, CFE223, and Leverevolution (HLVR).

I know that Hammers have no published load data but I have some experience loading them and finding starting points with similar bullets from published data. Ive also consulted the Hammer load data spreadsheet...

I find very little on my bullet and powder selections except A2520 Ive managed to come up with a starting point.

If anyone has any info on CFE or HLVR id be grateful?

I do find some data on HLVR but those loading it favor the 123g bullets, is HLVR better suited for the heavier bullets and not so ideal for lighter bullets?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Barnes has 100 grain TTSX data using H-335 and IMR8208XBR plus other powders which should give you a safe starting point.

Hornady 8th edition has CFE223 data for 100 grain soft point, start load 26.5 grains max load 30.3.

Nosler has load data online for 100 grain Nosler Partition and 100 grain Ballistic Tip.

Sierra has load data for their 100 grain varmint bullet which is a cup and core bullet but should give a safe starting pont. Sierra show good velocities with Power Pro Varmint but no data for CFE223 or LeveRevolution. Benchmark is a common powder recommended with 100 grain bullets and has decent temperature stability.

I used CFE 223 with 85 grain Sierra Varmint and got good accuracy and velocity. Most of my 85 to 107 grain bullets have been loaded with Accurate 2230, Xterminator, IMR8208XBR, TAC and H-335.

Comment

• Koda
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2023

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      Barnes has 100 grain TTSX data using H-335 and IMR8208XBR plus other powders which should give you a safe starting point.

Hornady 8th edition has CFE223 data for 100 grain soft point, start load 26.5 grains max load 30.3.

Nosler has load data online for 100 grain Nosler Partition and 100 grain Ballistic Tip.

Sierra has load data for their 100 grain varmint bullet which is a cup and core bullet but should give a safe starting pont. Sierra show good velocities with Power Pro Varmint but no data for CFE223 or LeveRevolution. Benchmark is a common powder recommended with 100 grain bullets and has decent temperature stability.

I used CFE 223 with 85 grain Sierra Varmint and got good accuracy and velocity. Most of my 85 to 107 grain bullets have been loaded with Accurate 2230, Xterminator, IMR8208XBR, TAC and H-335.
      These are great leads, thank you.
      I knew about Noslers data, they also have my A2520 powder for a 90g so Im starting with A2520.

I think CFE will perform similar to A2520 as it did in my 223.

Im still curious about HLVR but I think I have to buy Sierras book to get those...

Comment

• Koda
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2023

for those interested, results of my first Grendel handloads.

6.5 Grendel, 20in bbl, 8 twist. AR15
        97g Absolute Hammer
        Accurate 2520 powder
        Starline brass (unfired)
        CCI 400 primer
        COAL: 2.250
        1/8t crimp, lee FCD

initial pressure ladder.
        charge/velocity/notes:
        29/2555
        29.5/2585
        29.8/2592
        30/2621
        30.3/2656
        30.5/2669
        30.7/2681
        31/2701
        31.2/2721
        31.4/2759
        31.6/2735
        31.8/2767
        32/2788

no pressure. As usual I started too low with Hammers again..

Comment

• SDguy
          Warrior
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Koda View Post
          I'll be working up a load with the 97g Absolute Hammers. The powders I have on hand are A2520, CFE223, and Leverevolution (HLVR).

I know that Hammers have no published load data but I have some experience loading them and finding starting points with similar bullets from published data. Ive also consulted the Hammer load data spreadsheet...

I find very little on my bullet and powder selections except A2520 Ive managed to come up with a starting point.

If anyone has any info on CFE or HLVR id be grateful?

I do find some data on HLVR but those loading it favor the 123g bullets, is HLVR better suited for the heavier bullets and not so ideal for lighter bullets?

I have only used the absolute Hammer in the 6mm ARC. Expect you would do well to consider faster propellants. Absolute Hammer bullets have considerably less bearing area due to the drive band design. IMR 8208 was my choice for a hunting load in the 6mm ARC application. H335 was tested more recently & while top velocities were seen w H335 by a good margin, Ill still favor the IMR 8208 for the stability factor.

Of your three powder choices Id say you are looking at a wash as they are very similar. I looked at the Hammer forms & in the reloading forum they have an Absolute hammer spread sheet for the Absolute hammer's. Two Grendel offerings is all that is offered. Each of the loads are with the 97gr AH. Reloader 10 X is the one that looks most promising to me in terms of velocity.

If it were me Id consider Ramshot Tac & IMR 8208 & H335 as well.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Shooters World AR-Plus powder is in the same burn rate area as Accurate 2230, H-335 and Reloader 10. Shooters World powder was at a local Scheels and was one of the cheapest rifle powders by pound. Western/Accurate/Ramshot used to be cheaper but since being bought out by Hodgdon the price is about like the other rifle powder prices.

The availability of powder is still pretty limited in my area.
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-29-2023, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Former Cav
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2019

My wife is in the hospital from food poisoning at a restaurant we frequent.
              When she gets out I will be trying shooters world tacticle rifle and Lapua 108 Grain OTM Scenar bullets with BR#4 primers and new starline brass. Starting at 28 grains and doing the ladder thing.
              I will be using a LabRadar unit. (anyone want to buy an Oehler 35p chronograph in a rifle case.. Used, but mint and works great if you don't have a range where you have to shoot through a tube or they have a big a$$ed visor to keep morons from shooting over the berm !!)

Comment

• Koda
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2023

I'd really like to try some H335 but the store was out. I'll have to consider ordering online.
                In the mean time I think the best powder I have on hand is the A2520, will finish that load up.
                My guess is the HLVR is better for the heavier bullets....

Comment

• Harpoon1
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2017

In the mean time I think the best powder I have on hand is the A2520, will finish that load up.
                  My guess is the HLVR is better for the heavier bullets....
                  Last edited by Harpoon1; 06-29-2023, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Koda View Post
                    for those interested, results of my first Grendel handloads.

6.5 Grendel, 20in bbl, 8 twist. AR15
                    97g Absolute Hammer
                    Accurate 2520 powder
                    Starline brass (unfired)
                    CCI 400 primer
                    COAL: 2.250
                    1/8t crimp, lee FCD

initial pressure ladder.
                    charge/velocity/notes:
                    29/2555
                    29.5/2585
                    29.8/2592
                    30/2621
                    30.3/2656
                    30.5/2669
                    30.7/2681
                    31/2701
                    31.2/2721
                    31.4/2759
                    31.6/2735
                    31.8/2767
                    32/2788

no pressure. As usual I started too low with Hammers again..
                    Last edited by Harpoon1; 06-30-2023, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• 603Country
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2023

Comment

• Koda
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2023

only 1 round per charge. This wasnt a saterlee test but just a pressure test and initial rough zero (new rifle). This is a very common method with Hammer shooters starting new, the interesting thing about Hammers is they tend to group the same regardless of charge weight. Next I will probably go another grain higher unless I find pressure signs and the zero will be the same.
                        Good call on the neck sizing, yes I did that before I loaded the cases. The only variation I should see now might be slightly less velocity from bumping the shoulder of the fireformed case headspace.

Good tips on the primers, I'll investigate.

Comment

• WestMOhunter
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2022

Last edited by WestMOhunter; 10-25-2023, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• SDW
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                            Did you run the new, unfired brass through a neck sizing mandrel before loading? Factory brass has wildly different neck tension! Without neck tension uniformity, respectfully, your observed data is suspect! For the record, I made that mistake for years!
                            Older thread I know. I saw this as I was browsing.

Probably a dumb question that I already know the answer to, but is there a chance that throwing a crimp on the rims would help with cases that have not been neck sized prior to loading? I'm thinking maybe by using a Lee FC die on them for a light crimp?

I did a little googling a while ago on this subject. The opinions I saw make it sound pointless. Thought I'd see what you folks think anyway.

Comment

• Koda
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2023

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                              Older thread I know. I saw this as I was browsing.

Probably a dumb question that I already know the answer to, but is there a chance that throwing a crimp on the rims would help with cases that have not been neck sized prior to loading?
                              nope, wont make a difference. Neck tension and crimping are two different things.

Comment

Working...
                              X