• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vaguru
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2022

Hornady 123SST and W748

I have been frustrated trying this combo. Using PPU brass, CCI BR4 primers, and worked up to 30.0 grs W748. Tested COL out to 2.280" which had the best ES of 18 fps, at 2652.8 fps ave. Initial testing over chronograph at 50 yards shows groups ave .276". Going out to 100 yds groups maybe 2" if I'm lucky.

I have a 120 ELDM load that groups consistently 1/2 MOA at 100 yds using same case, primer and powder with different charge and COL, so I doubt the rifle is the issue.

I have also used Hornady brass with this load at factory COL of 2.245". ES was 13 fps at 2614.4 fps but groups still not what I expect.

Is the 123SST that finicky of a bullet that some barrels just won't shoot it well?

Looking for a decent load with a capable deer hunting bullet. Any other hunting bullet I should consider?
  • 603Country
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2023

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

The 123 gr. SST does not shoot much better in my rifle and I tried several powders. Other bullets shoot much better. Still good enough for average deer hunting. Your speed seems a bit high.

Comment

• vaguru
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2022

Comment

• 603Country
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2023

The wife is watching a stupid show, so I went out to the workshop and got the load info. The brass is Starline, not Lapua.
          H335, 123 gr SST, CCI450. The powder load is 27.2 gr of the H335. Be advised that 27.2 gr is above what my Hornady load book shows as max, so work up carefully. Other load info sources suggests a higher max load. I had no pressure signs with that load.
          Last edited by 603Country; 07-26-2023, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• CJW
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Comment

• vaguru
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2022

Have loading data from reliable sources, just curious as to what 603 used. I question the new scope, may have to change out to a known good scope. 1/4 MOA at 50 yds for best 4 shots, seems like this bullet always throws one high/low.

Comment

• vaguru
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2022

Originally posted by 603Country View Post
                The wife is watching a stupid show, so I went out to the workshop and got the load info. The brass is Starline, not Lapua.
                H335, 123 gr SST, CCI450. The powder load is 27.2 gr of the H335. Be advised that 27.2 gr is above what my Hornady load book shows as max, so work up carefully. Other load info sources suggests a higher max load. I had no pressure signs with that load.

Thanks for reply, still curious as to your COL

Comment

• natebonebusta
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2022

Comment

• 603Country
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2023

Oops. I forgot to get you the COAL. Tomorrow.

Comment

• 603Country
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2023

Comment

• vaguru
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2022

603, Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

vaguru,

I experienced similar results with SST and found that the accuracy came back at 200 yards. It could be a stability challenge as indicated by 603.

If you can, try it at longer distances and see if you experience the same and let us know.

Comment

• vaguru
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2022

I have more test loads ready, but the temp and wind have kept them in the boxes. Looks like I may have to wait until September before they will be shot.

Comment

• vaguru
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2022

Had a little window to test some of the loads I've been waiting to shoot yesterday. Temp down to high 70's, overcast with 3-4 mph wind. Still nothing acceptable. Shot over chrony at 50 yds. Had loads with ES of 7 fps (all loads under 30 fps), 2 shots near touching with one always out about 1 1/2", the best performer was 1/2", most 1" plus. One more test day needed for remaining loads, then forget the 123sst's and hunt with 120 eldM's, or scrap the whole idea! So far this barrel just doesn't like 123sst's with any load I've tried. Will have to get a box of factory loaded just to see what they will do, now that they are available.
                              Last edited by vaguru; 08-28-2023, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X