Is AR Comp the best option for velocity and accuracy with 123 ge SST today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Papa Smurff
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2023

Is AR Comp the best option for velocity and accuracy with 123 ge SST today?

Been looking at powders for 123 gr SST and brass that are on the way. H4895 and H4350 have meet all my needs for rifle powder in the past so I in unknown lands with thr grindle. Reading all the posts in forums it's being indicated that AR Comp is the most temp stable with best velociy and accuracy. 8208 hasn't seen here for quite a while so that means searching for the next best thing. I do see the ball powders CFE223, Leverevolution, 2520, and BallC2 on ocassion but my experience with them in the greatly varrying Kansas temps hasn'r been wonderful. I'm on the waiting list at Powder Valley for 8208, but they have AR comp in stock and it"s an hour round trip for me so that's not a big deal.

I'm kina a 1 bullet and load for everything from pests to deer shooter
    and shoot atleast once a month at varying distances all year long to stay proficent. What are the opinons of the experienced shooters?
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 08-31-2023, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• 603Country
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2023

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Ar Comp works well for the 120 class bullets. It does have some temperature stability so if I were you, I'd pick up some of it. get 3# or so of the same lot# (or more if you want- lol!). The 123 sst, 123 eldm, and nosler 120 all fall into very similar load weights and MVs. Lot to lot you will see some load changes necessary to get your node dialed back in, so get multi-pounds of the same lot#.

Since Op say he's a 1-bullet shooter, this is a reasonable combo for him.

I can't say that temperature stability is a big or not-so-big deal, from my shooting. I don't plan to be shooting below about 30 degF, but when I did some range time and the temps were >90 degF this summer, I was getting some faster MVs... so I guess for me, it can happen for sure, even with vargets and h4350's... noticeable but not deal breakers, but the ball powders, a bigger spread.

If you want to try some CFE, which is also a good powder for the 120 class, I'd make sure you're not going out with it in 90 DegF or greater. Below that down to about 30, out to 200 yds you might not see much delta. But I'm still in process of verifying how true/false that is for myself. I don't plan on using the grendel past about 200 anyway.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

Ramshot TAC, is the powder you seek
          4x P100

Comment

• SDguy
            Warrior
            • Oct 2015

What kind of temperature extremes do you anticipate to encounter with your load? If you are really concerned you may wish to work up similar loads for different temperature ranges.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Last edited by LRRPF52; 09-01-2023, 04:56 PM.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• richj
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2014

BLC2 was the only powder I ever save temp sensitivity but it was in a 308. diff in temp was 65 overcast to 85 blazing sun

Comment

• Scrape hunter
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2019

8208 xbr works well for my gun in that weight class of bullet with cci 450 primers ..

Comment

• Bobke
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2015

Comment

• kmon
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2015

H4895 is another for temp stable and accuracy.

Comment

• trubulator
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2022

I used H335 for a hunting load with SSTs. I got good velocity and good accuracy. Somewhat temp affected, but was OK. TAC I have used with match bullets (Barnes match burners) and gotten really great accuracy when I give up a little velocity.

Like OP, I value temp stability, so I tend to avoid CFE223, Lever, etc. If you can find AR Comp, it looks to fit the bill since 8208 is unobtanium.

Comment

• Okie_Poke
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2023

I get slightly more velocity from CFE223 than I do from AR COMP with any Hornady 123 bullet. Both powders work just fine. I use CFE 223 mainly because it meters extremely well on a progressive press and I use the same powder for my 75 grain 223 loads. It keeps things simple. I can't say one powder is noticeable more or less accurate than the other in the limited comparison testing I've done. Temp stability is not something I'm overly concerned about, however.

Comment

• Mark611
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2017

I have tried a lot of powders for my 18 and 24'' tubes, mainly running the 120 and 123gn ELDM's and 120gn SMK's, I do not hunt just paper punch, that said, my loads are run out of AR plat forms, it took me awhile to get a good load developed that was accurate for my rifles, for whatever reason my barrels don't seem to like the Hornady pills, but I have not tried the Hornady ELDM's with AR Comp, yet, I do have some loaded up for my next range trip to see if they will group? the best groups I have gotten are about 2 to 3'' at 200m, with the Hornady 120 and 123gn ELDM's, I'm not happy with that! on the other hand, the 120gn SMK's out of my 24'' 1&8 with new unfired brass Hornady or Starline running 27.1gns of AR Comp last trip out same distance I shot a 3/4'' group, from the 10 test rounds I loaded for that day, aving 2545fps with a SD of 7fps my 18'' 1&8 shot a 1.5'' group with the same load same SD, @2495fps, group size was bigger due to the Reticle in my scope, it covers up the 1.5'' bullseye I use at 200m, I will also note that these are not target rifles! my 18'' is a Heavy barrel BCA right side charger upper, my 24'' is a Sanders HB RSC, AR Comp has been the best and most stable powder I have used so far from my rifles, I have not tried CFE223 or lever, I also have no pressure signs with the comp load, powders I have also tried are A2520 A2460 A2495 Shooters World Match rifle H322 H4895 Tac and probably a few others I have forgot about, and none of these powders come close in performance velocity or accuracy wise to AR Comp from my rifles and most of the other powders had ejector marks on the brass and they barely broke 2400fps and the powders that did break the 2450 mark all had ejector marks, this is just my experience with the 6.5GRR from an AR plat form YMMV.

Comment

• stonehog
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2021

I've had good luck with Shooters World Match Rifle and LeverEvolution with good velocity and no pressure signs. Also good case fill with both. A2520 also good, but slightly lower velocity. Tac and H335 in a similar boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X