• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fess
    Warrior
    • Jun 2019

Hornady 123"s Velocity from 16" barrel

Hornady still lists velocity of its 123 grain SST and ELD-M from a 24" barrel. What are typical velocities out of 16" ones, and does any one particular barrel type consistently seem to be a little faster or slower (probably due to rifling style/profile vs. friction).

The SAAMI spec suggests 6 grooves, each 0.090" wide, but it would make sense that certain bullets might prefer other rifling styles and footprints (5R, sharp-edged single-point cut vs, slightly rounder button or hammer-forged, etc). I remember that early on, Bill Alexander mentioned that some bullets (bi-metal, IIRC) did better with "steep, European-style rifling", although he may have been talking about accuracy only.
    Thanks

edited to add: Sorry about the mistake on the title: 123's, not 123"s.
    Last edited by Fess; 09-08-2023, 03:23 PM.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

My 16-er when I had it, had accurate node around 2415 fps for the 123, also the 120 fusion btw.
    Now the 123 sst factory load may or may not do that; I have not shot that in a while, let alone in 16".
    Also sold the 16" barrel.
    As far as rifling goes, I prefer the 5R or 5 land styles, having a land opposite to the groove at the 180's imo disturbs the bullet less, easier engraving, again my 2 cents. I believe I get a bit more MV from it, but it could just be the barrel itself...
    But I still like the 5R's better than the 6-style, enfield I believe it's called. Never tried a 3-groove or 4-groove. 3 seems too few, 4: doesn't bartlein do those? anyway, most of mine are 5's.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• trubulator
      Warrior
      • Aug 2022

Buddy and I shot Hornady Black out of his (PSA) and my (Wilson Combat) 16 inch barrels last weekend. Chrono said low 2400s for both.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X