• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NDSwede
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2022

CBTO the same with every bullet?

If the CBTO is a certain length such as 1.750 with one type of bullet ( Speer 120 gr gold dot for example), would it be the same for another bullet such as a Hornady 123 SST?
    Could you explain your thinking regardless of your answer. Thanks
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Swede,

Across brands and types, bullets of the same weight have different shapes. Because of this, when loaded to the same COAL (base-to-tip) they will likely have different CBTO's (base-to-ogive). CBTO is predicated on the ID of the gauge you use. Where that ID comes to rest on the bullet depends on the shape of the bullet.

Comment

• 37L1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

The same bullet from a different lot can have a different CBTO. I've even seen a certain manufacturer (Hornady) have more than one different CBTO from the same box!

Comment

• stef1274
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2023

No it wouldn't. Or it could, but that would be coincidental. It is one of the reasons for wanting to measure CBTO, because same COAL may not mean same distance to lands.

Comment

• Fess
          Warrior
          • Jun 2019

In discussions of ballistics, you'll see references to tangent and secant bullet shapes. We know that, for many readers, these terms can be confusing. To add to the confusion, bullet makers don't always identify their projectiles as secant or tangent designs.
          Last edited by Fess; 09-17-2023, 02:21 AM. Reason: mispelling....(crap!, I initially misspelled "misspelling")

Comment

• NDSwede
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2022

Thanks everyone for responding. I understand it better. Each person added something to understanding it more.
            I recently measured 100 6mm Speer 100 spbt bullets and the lengths to ogive varied 12 thousandths from shortest to longest.
            Also measured some Hornady 103 ELD-X. They only varied 1 thousandth from shortest to longest.

Comment

Working...
            X