• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Winchester 125 gr Open Tipped target bullets

Any one have any experience with these? RMR has pulls for cheap (+/- 20 cents per) which could make for good high volume practice fodder.

Let's go Brandon!
  • Highbrow
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2019

Just ordered 500 a few days ago. Hope they shoot.

Comment

• Highbrow
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2019

Received my order for 500 125gr open tip bullets from RMR. Cursory examination showed one bullet with a corroded tip but otherwise no glaring abnormalities. As a bonus they sent an additional 45 bullets in a separate bag as free. A nice touch. I have purchased a lot of bullets from them over the years and have always been satisfied.
      Time to load some up and shoot them. And of course the corroded one will be sent down range.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Highbrow, if you have a chance to measure the OAL and base to ogive, it would be awesome. At first glance it looks like the nose is really long, but it looks like there's a lot of shank on the tip side of the cannelure and the cannelure would probably end up in a Grendel case neck to get it mag length in Grendel (it looks like it probably makes really good use of 6.5 CM case capacity).

52, they have that hunting bullet at RMR, but the target bullet I'm talking about is from Whitebox Creedmoor target ammo: https://www.winchester.com/Products/...u-s-1%22%5D%7D
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Highbrow
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2019

IMG_5610.jpegIMG_5609.jpeg

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
              Highbrow, if you have a chance to measure the OAL and base to ogive, it would be awesome. At first glance it looks like the nose is really long, but it looks like there's a lot of shank on the tip side of the cannelure and the cannelure would probably end up in a Grendel case neck to get it mag length in Grendel (it looks like it probably makes really good use of 6.5 CM case capacity).

52, they have that hunting bullet at RMR, but the target bullet I'm talking about is from Whitebox Creedmoor target ammo: https://www.winchester.com/Products/...u-s-1%22%5D%7D
              Sorry, I clicked on the link and then got rubber-necked over to the 125gr tipped bullets.

Looks like the 125gr OTMs are pull-downs from Winchester OTM target practice ammo.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by Highbrow View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]19963[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19964[/ATTACH]
                Thanks! The nose is a tad long, but it looks like Duramag max length (2.310) would put them right around the lands in my tight chamber (I do 123 Scenars with a 0.03 jump at 2.250 OAL) and the base won't go much deeper than the shoulder/body junction.

FWIW, using the 400 yard drop on the back of their ammo box, their velocity of 2850 and sea level density altitude, I back into a G1 of around 0.295
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

SH:

Base goes to the shoulder at a really good OAL. Good sign.

I made a bunch of flat base bullets of that design (without the cannelure) many years ago when swaging jacketed bullets. Both 6.5 and .308. Given not much wind, they were super accurate to five hundred but I shot them mostly at 200 and 300.

You may have something that will surprise you providing they weren't damaged when being pulled.

I wonder why they were pulled?

LR-55

Comment

• Highbrow
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2019

IMG_5606.jpeg
                    Had a few that looked like this. Maybe 6.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

It could be if they had some 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo exposed to water damage, they had to just pull the lot instead of shipping ammo to vendors that looks like that when the customers open the boxes.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Highbrow
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2019

Finally got a chance to send some of these down range.
                        Shot out of my cheap Radical Firearms AR. Random fire formed
                        7.62x39 LRP brass and 24.5 gr IMR 3031. Function was perfect.
                        Groups about what I expected.IMG_7221.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                        X