• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDW
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

Standard SR primers vs match/magnum/military

Hi all. Short question. Any one of you using standard small-rifle primers for Grendel? I know it's more conventional to use better primers, such as match, magnum, and military grade. I usually use BR myself. Like Rem #7 /12. I was wondering if it's a genuine mistake to use regular primers.

On impulse I put CCI 400 primers in 50 new-brass cases since I want to load up just general purpose sight-in, plinking, and maybe as a last ditch, HD ammo. Bullets I'll be using are PPU 120gr HPBTs. These aren't made to the highest precision so I'm not expecting one-hole groups. But they were inexpensive and this is the purpose for which I bought them.

Normally I use these #400s in my 5.56 loads. I just wanted to make sure it's not crazy to use them in average, gen purpose ammo.
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 10-14-2023, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• SDW
      Warrior
      • Jul 2018

Ah. Thank you. I'd known for a while that the thicker-cup primers were "better" for that reason. Been very lucky up to now, I guess. I've never had an issue with regular primers in my 5.56 loads. Loaded and fired 1000-1500 or so over the years. Not a huge test size I know. I had one double-fire event, about 20 years ago. Factory ammo though, I think. Most of my 5.56 loads have been with Winchester SR. And I have these CCI 400s that I got somewhat recently. I'll have to use those up on 5.56 and hope for the best, that my lucks holds out with them.

I do have the Rem 7.5s and CCI #41s on hand. For Grendel I'll stick with those going forward.

Does anyone know, is it dangerous to press out live primers using a decapping die? And would it ruin the primers? I figure that last one might be a dumb question. Probably crushes the anvil a little, at the very least. In the old days I wouldn't have cared too much. But damn, the price of primers these days makes me want to cry. Price sticker still on my box of #400s says #39.95. I think they've more than doubled by now.

Edit: I was thinking impulsively above. Those 50 CCIs cost me $2. About $4 at todays prices. Obviously not worth caring about too much. Cheap lesson I guess. I could just write these off and push in #41 primers. Or keep the #400s in the these cases and just go with a light load, winch would help with pressure at least, but doesn't do anything for avoiding slam-fires. Hmm.
      Last edited by SDW; 10-14-2023, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
        Warrior
        • Jul 2021

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

SDW,

Like has been said, slam-fires in this platform are rare as hen's teeth. I've never seen or heard of one over the years, but the risk exists.

I prefer 450's but have used other primers and never had an issue.

Here's a chart of the different dimensions and thicknesses of small rifle primers https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...sure-analysis/. We can't assume the same hardness of cups across brands however, so the chart is only part of the story. In the CCI brand, CCI41 are Milspec for 5.56 ammo - Apparently they are the same specs as their 450 magnums.

Yes, I've carefully deprimed and reused unfired primers, but usually throw them away. Obviously the anvil still needs to be in the cup.
          Last edited by Klem; 10-14-2023, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• SDW
            Warrior
            • Jul 2018

Yep. It's only happened to me twice. That is, I've had double-fires, which I assume was caused by a slam-fire of the second round. First time was in an AR-15 and the second time was in my old Remington Model 8 that my dad handed down to me. What' interesting is that this rifle originally came with a floating FP like the AR. But when I replaced the original (broken) FP with a newer-production one from Numrich's I believe, I also retrofitted the FP spring used in the later Model 81? It was no longer free-floated. Spring seemed kind of weak to me though. When I let a friend shoot it one time, he fired off a couple of shots before his next one went Ba-boom! And two .35 Rem cases fell to the ground.

Anyway... I do know the thicknesses. Seen that chart before. The CCI400s are the thinnest. My original go-tos, the WSR, are a hair thicker than that at .021" and I read somewhere that Win might use a harder alloy, and so the WSR are considered by "some people" to be GTG for AR-15 use. They've worked fine for me, in any case. No pun intended.

Just for peace of mind I pushed out the #400s and put in #41s. I'll have a look at the popped-out #400s more closely later to see if they look okay. I glanced at one and its anvil looked okay, but I wasn't using a magnifier to check. TBH, I don't like the idea of getting my eye that close to a primer! Let alone the business end. Seems like tempting fate. LOL But as long as I use my hand lens, there's a thick piece of glass between eye and mini-bomb and the odds are probably in my favor.

FWIW, when I bought the #41s they were at least $10 more than the standard primers. I remember thinking, "these military primers must be good!" Thicker cup, hotter bang. Probably for reliable use in MGs.

Comment

• Old Bob
              Warrior
              • Oct 2019

I shot 3 gun for many years. Most of what I shot was LC or Winchester 5.56 NATO. I did reload a bunch too. Some had CCI 400 SR primers but most had CCI#41s. Don't recall ever having an issue slam-firing with the 400s although I did have a few that were fail-to-fire.

If, for any reason I have to punch out live primers, I put them in a small jar & then spray some WD40 on them. I give the jar a good shake & then let the primers soak a couple of days. Then I dump them in the trash. I never reuse primers.
              I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                I shot 3 gun for many years. Most of what I shot was LC or Winchester 5.56 NATO. I did reload a bunch too. Some had CCI 400 SR primers but most had CCI#41s. Don't recall ever having an issue slam-firing with the 400s although I did have a few that were fail-to-fire.

If, for any reason I have to punch out live primers, I put them in a small jar & then spray some WD40 on them. I give the jar a good shake & then let the primers soak a couple of days. Then I dump them in the trash. I never reuse primers.
                OB:

Not sure a guy could reuse live primers he had already seated. I think they expand to fit the primer pocket when seated and get further distorted when punched out of the brass.

You ever tried to reseat one? I haven't but would be interested to know if it is possible.

If I were doing the three gun stuff, it would be a CCI primer and probably a 41. I would go for cheap and safe.

LR55

Comment

• SDW
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

Thanks Old Bob. I was pondering how I'd dispose of them safely.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2021

I have reused LRPs before, but I marked them for plinking only. They always went bang, and were accurate enough to 100yd for busting bottles, etc. I knew that there was a possibility with any of them that they may not go bang

Comment

• SDW
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by EastTNHunter View Post
                      I have reused LRPs before, but I marked them for plinking only. They always went bang, and were accurate enough to 100yd for busting bottles, etc. I knew that there was a possibility with any of them that they may not go bang
                      That's another possibility. If these primers don't look visibly damaged I could press them into random 5.56 cases load them with a mild weight of one of my lesser used powders under 55gr ball. Keep them around as clearly marked "sight-in only" ammo. Something to have for re-checking zero on my various 5.56 uppers. Hmmm.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by EastTNHunter View Post
                        Hmmm....

Never would have thought they could be re seated.

Thankyou!

LR55

Comment

• Zeneffect
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2020

They felt loose when I reseated. Only did it twice, both times it didn't feel right. Nothing else to note really.

Comment

• Old Bob
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2019

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                            OB:

Not sure a guy could reuse live primers he had already seated. I think they expand to fit the primer pocket when seated and get further distorted when punched out of the brass.

You ever tried to reseat one? I haven't but would be interested to know if it is possible.

If I were doing the three gun stuff, it would be a CCI primer and probably a 41. I would go for cheap and safe.

LR55
                            No, never tried to reseat punched out primers. Punching them out pushes the anvil into & disturbs the primer mix. Looking & comparing a new primer with a punched out primer under magnification (X10), I could tell the difference between them. The anvil on the punched out primer was set perceptively deeper in the cup & was slightly tilted. If reusing the primer, it would be set deeper in the pocket. This deeper set could possibly result in misfires. It's might be only thousandth of an inch or less, but I'd rather not take the chance.
                            I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2017

I never intended to reuse them so, I always just soaked them in water for a while before depriming!

Comment

Working...
                              X