• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eggman918
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2023

Grendel powder that falls between H-335 and CFE

Thanks to the Hoard I have done my first work up of a load that my rifle likes for the Nosler 123gr. CC HPBT, I an now trying a second with the 100gr.Nosler.
    I have H-335 and CFE that I can acquire easily locally the 123's liked CFE not so much the 335, with the 100gr. the difference between the 2 powders seemed to be great and I was thinking I need to find a powder that splits the difference... What should I try next that is between CFE and 335 for 100/123 bullet weights?
    With the 123's 26.8 of CFE at 2.255 COA with BR-4's and 5th firing Hornady brass netted me 1.75" groups at 200 yards which is best I have seen yet for this rifle, the 123's workup went smoothly for a first go-round that is die to the info from Y'All. I have only done a speed reading for the 100's with the MagnetoSpeed so no groupings yet but it looks like the slower sets were tightest which is what I found with the 123" as well not sure if this is a trend yet and time will tell. I will do sets for grouping on Monday to learn more but So Far So Good.
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

If you can ever find IMR 8208 XBR you should give it a try. Very good for the 107/108 class bullets.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• eggman918
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2023

I have that chart and the fact that I have one at each end of the spectrum is why I was seeking guidance, I have been buying powder locally and my options are limited so need to shop online for it.
        I have the books and have been researching there, I guess I was hoping to get a "go to" choice from the Hoard...

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

TAC. Try TAC.
          4x P100

Comment

• Koda
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2023

Ive been wanting to try IMR 8208 XBR but its been unobtanium.

Ive been using A2520 which is available and getting 2800fps with a 97gn bullet, not too bad and I think is between your two powders in burn rate. I did try CFE223 but the A2520 gave slightly faster velocities

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
              Warrior
              • Sep 2023

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks have hundreds of tested combinations in them for your reference.
              I have no affiliation with LRRPF52, just a satisfied customer. If you don't have those reloading manuals, they're very helpful for the 6.5 Grendel.

These are well worth picking up.

There are tons are powders and projectiles for 6.5 Grendel. Seems like a very forgiving round.

KW
              From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• 37L1
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

You might look a little beyond CFE and try Leverevolution.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2023

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but something I wasn't sure of. On that chart, Accurate 1680 and CFEBLK are just 2 positions away from each other. Is it safe to assume that both powders will be close to each other in pressure??? Of course I will test it, but I was curious if that was safe to use a powder that is 2 positions away? 8.6 blackout uses Accurate 1680 and I'm swapping it out with CFEBLK to test with.

Interesting how far away on that chart CFE223 and CFEBLK are...just sayin'...I see a lot of powders spread out over half that chart on powders that are used to load 6.5 Grendel. Is it surprising that the OP was looking at CFE223 and H335 ???

KW

Comment

• eggman918
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2023

I started with 335 because it was what the local shop had been using in the reloads they were doing for me as well as the fact that is is always in stock in town, I started by copying that load to get the feel for things.
                    CFE is also always available so that was the second one I tried, when I first looked at LR's chart and saw that they were pretty far apart I decided to get some opinions as where to go next. I'm sure I'd get into trouble IF I were to just make assumptions by looking at that chart and the Wife has been a good sport with the whole reloading thing but no need to just start winging it when I have Y'All's experience to glean.
                    On a side note after making a gauge that registers at a point on the bullet that is .259" I found my col's were allover the place so I fixed that and now the 7 sets of 5 I have for each powder are all +/- .001 with most +/- .0005 so I'm excited to see what that does for things.
                    I have another question I'm thinking that burn rate will affect things differently with differing barrel lengths and gas port location as well as bullet weight/bearing surface is that a correct assumption?

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2023

Originally posted by eggman918 View Post
                      I have another question I'm thinking that burn rate will affect things differently with differing barrel lengths and gas port location as well as bullet weight/bearing surface is that a correct assumption?
                      Yes, it does, as well as the size of the gas port.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Konocti's Wigwam View Post
                        I hope this isn't a stupid question, but something I wasn't sure of. On that chart, Accurate 1680 and CFEBLK are just 2 positions away from each other. Is it safe to assume that both powders will be close to each other in pressure??? Of course I will test it, but I was curious if that was safe to use a powder that is 2 positions away? 8.6 blackout uses Accurate 1680 and I'm swapping it out with CFEBLK to test with.

Interesting how far away on that chart CFE223 and CFEBLK are...just sayin'...I see a lot of powders spread out over half that chart on powders that are used to load 6.5 Grendel. Is it surprising that the OP was looking at CFE223 and H335 ???

KW
                        I use A1680 and CFE BLK for AK 47 ammo/ 7.62x39. CFE BLK gives substantially faster FPS with book loads! IMO the burn rate is too fast for the Grendel. It may work with some lightweight projectiles but would be suboptimal compared to the other options available.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Konocti's Wigwam View Post

KW
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2023

I'm not using the CFEBLK for 6.5 Grendel, I'm using H335, 8208XBR or Varget.

I'm using Accurate 1680 and CFEBLK for both 300 blackout and 8.6 blackout.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2023

@LRRPF52 I was more asking a general question on substituting powder and if you pick a powder that is next to each other, or 2 slots away, in theory doesn't that mean they have almost the same burn rate?

About 6 months ago it was almost impossible to get 1680, so I bought CFEBLK as I could get it and it was only 2 slots away on the burn rate chart. I bought it with the intention to use as a 1680 replacement. Does that make sense, or would you use something other than burn rate to select powders?

Comment

Working...
                              X