• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grendelnubi
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

115 Barnes Tipped TAC-TX Bullets at Midway for 29.99 box of 50

Just letting everyone know.

I picked up three boxes and plan to use these next year for deer and this year after load development for pigs.

Anyone using LVR with these? Right now with my RAP, at 29.9 grains with 123 grain SST (2.265) and 120 grain GD (2.283), I'm running right at 2600 fps for both and accuracy is great less than moa.
  • s3silver
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Those are supposed to have a lower expansion threshold? Please share how they perform on pigs.

Comment

• Scrape hunter
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2019

I bought some of the 100 grain ttsx bt.I just wonder what kind of speed I can get out of
      these never shot any solid copper bullets out my grinner before.....

Comment

• grendelnubi
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

rickOshay did a gel test and his conclusion was minimum threshold of 1800-1900 FPS. He measure in gel at 1940 fps and it opened to a 0.51" diameter which is good.
        Finally emerged from COVID-19 cave to test the Barnes 115 gr TAC-TX in gels Here are the initial results: On left, recovered from gel after impact at 1660 fps and 30" of penetration. On right, impact at 1940 fps and 22.5" penetration. Diameter of expanded petals was 0.51". I did not recover two shots

Hey Scrape, I have the same questions. I'll update on the 115 TAC-TX and see what I can get out of them. I will be shooting these out of a RAP 22", also my 18" AR. Not sure about worrying with the 16" since I have a very limited supply.

Comment

• s3silver
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Comment

• Scrape hunter
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2019

what seating depth did you use Silver?2800 to 2900 is what I'm hoping for shooting out of a 18" ar ,hornady brass ,cci 450 primer xbr 8208, and may try some H 335.

Comment

• s3silver
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Comment

• grendelnubi
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Any idea how much jump you are have with your setup? Any jump test data would be appreciated.

I just put a small ladder together with LVR and in my setup, I am jumping about .010. Should I try and increase the jump?

Comment

• s3silver
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

I haven't measured exactly, but they are probably at least 0.05" jump. My non-copper 123 loads are all loaded 2.25+". Barnes also recommend starting at 0.05" off the lands. 0.01 may be too close. Don't be afraid to jump them more if 0.01 didn't shoot good.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

Thanks, I'm going to seat a little deeper to get it to your .05. Let you know how they work using LVR.

Comment

Working...
                    X