• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scrape hunter
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2019

grendel case length

What is the shortest a case can be trimmed and still be usable got some brass gave to me and some had been trimmed back to 1.498 are these safe to use ?
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Scrape hunter View Post
    What is the shortest a case can be trimmed and still be usable got some brass gave to me and some had been trimmed back to 1.498 are these safe to use ?
    1.498 is just fine. I believe 1.500 is the minimum in most loading manuals but you can always grind more off the neck and it will still function. Headspace is from the shoulder, not the neck.

Also, could well be your calipers are a bit different than the guy who gave you the brass.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Scrape,

Shorter case necks = lower pressure. Longer case necks = higher pressure. Cases that are too long and jam into the ridge at the end of the chamber's neck can be dangerous. You can trim cases as short as you like, providing they can still adequately seal when fired, and they still hold the bullet firmly before firing.

Your cases are fine.

Comment

• Scrape hunter
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2019

Thank you both very much for your reply ,I knew the saami. spec was 1.500 min. didn't know if going under that was a problem or not .For the life of me I can't figure out why he trimmed them this short unless his calipers were off or maybe mine are .But thanks for the help much appreciated..

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Scrape hunter View Post
          Thank you both very much for your reply ,I knew the saami. spec was 1.500 min. didn't know if going under that was a problem or not .For the life of me I can't figure out why he trimmed them this short unless his calipers were off or maybe mine are .But thanks for the help much appreciated..
          SH:

Its pretty much pure luck to get a trimmer set to the exact length a guy wants. Even then, more or less pressure when hand turning means more or less of the neck gets trimmed.

LR-55

Comment

• 603Country
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2023

Many years ago, I was watching the Super Bowl while trimming 220 Swift cases. It was a good game and my lack of focus on the case trimming left me with some severely over-trimmed cases. They were all the cases I had then, so I loaded em and shot em. No problems and no decrease in accuracy.

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              You can trim cases as short as you like, providing they can still adequately seal when fired, and they still hold the bullet firmly before firing.

Your cases are fine.
              Until the last couple of years, all my reloading experience was with the Grendel. Recently, I began to scrounge .223/5.56 range brass to reload for plinking ammo. I was surprised to discover that some cases were nearly 20/1000th below minimum trim length. I'd never run into this before. Glad to hear it's not really an issue.
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
              X