• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob R
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2023

Best Range Bullet for the 6.5 Grendel

I have been researching what bullet I should work with primarily for a Range Bullet to 600 yards. Initially I have been researching the 120 ELD-M, and 120 Barnes Match Burner. I am 100% sure that I will not go heavier than 130 grains.

I have wondered how lighter weight bullets would work out. The 260 Remington Encore handgun that I once owned liked the 95 grain V-Max bullets pretty well. I have shot a steady diet of 120 ELD-M bullets through my Nosler M48 Handgun in 6.5CM, and I have been pretty happy with them.

I ran some numbers, and the 120 ELD-M did pretty well on drop and wind to 600 yards. However I did not have real Apples to Apples 20" AR15 velocity numbers on all the bullets that I ran the numbers on.

The Hornady 100 ELD-M and 100 ELD-VT might have some potential. The Nosler 100 BTHP might make the list for a light bullet also.

After that the 120 ELD-M, 120 Match Burner, 120 SMK, and 123 ELD-M would be high on my list of bullets. This is taking availability as well as cost of the bullets into consideration.

I will be shooting groups off a high quality concrete bench from 100 through 600 yards.
    My build has a Stern Defense Two Stage Trigger with a 2.5# second stage.
    I have a 20X Super Sniper Scope in a Leupold MK AR Cantilever Base.
    My barrel which is still probably a month out is a Compass Lake 20" H-Bar using a Douglas Blank.
    I will be loading my ammunition using New Starline Brass.

Lets hear about Bullets in the 6.5 Grendel. What shoots the best groups. What shoots flat. What bucks the wind the best. What OAL works best with the bullet you like. What Magazines does your ammunition like.

Bob R
    Last edited by Bob R; 12-22-2023, 05:04 AM.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Back when I was shooting to 600 yards the Berger OTM were used a lot. I got a very sweet deal on 1000 of them so that might have swayed my judgement. Those also turned in my best groups with the CZ wearing an Obermeyer barrel. I didn't shoot for groups past 325 yards but busted rocks beyond that to 600 yards.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I would tend to recommend the eldm 123's for availability, in cup/core. The 120 eldms have the tangent (relatively stubbier) ogive, where the 123's were made for the grendel throat.
      But then again, another fave is the 120 SMK. To get out to 600 best imo the 120-123 class is a better choice than the 100's although I like several of the 100's.
      If you're looking for the intersection of cost, economy and accuracy, whichever one of the possibles that shoots best and cost the least for your barrel, is where to go.
      Maybe try 50-100 each of 2 or 3 to see what you want to do.
      I find myself trying 2 or 3, and 2 or 3 powders, and doing shoot-offs/comparisons to narrow it down to which ones are best combo's. Best setup wins, not playing a favorite or anything.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• trubulator
        Warrior
        • Aug 2022

I like the Barnes 120 match burner for range bullets, although I don't shoot as far as you are planning to. But I think grayfox has the best idea: try a box of each and see what shoots best in your barrel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• m796rider
            Warrior
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by trubulator View Post
            I like the Barnes 120 match burner for range bullets, although I don't shoot as far as you are planning to. But I think grayfox has the best idea: try a box of each and see what shoots best in your barrel.

Yep, and they don't break the bank.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

123 grain Scenars 0.03" off of the lands. I used to them in a 22" for a practical AR match out to 700 yards and they go exactly where they are pointed and predicted.

5 under a dime - Copy.jpg5 on a dime - Copy.jpg

I also use them in my 6.5CM gasser for PRS.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

My personal favorite is the 107SMK. It's fast, so gets there fast, and has a great BC, so bucks the wind well. It does good even at 600+ yards, due to its very good BC, combined with ability to go fast.
                4x P100

Comment

• DIANEB
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2020

120gr Match Burners, 120gr ELD-M, 123gr ELD, 123gr SMK's, 130gr ELD-M and 130gr Bergers...

Comment

• Lemonaid
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

The ones I have bought in bulk are 120 MB, 120 Sierra, Speer 120 Gold dot, Nosler 90 Varmageddon. I wish I knew about this site before I did my testing. I have not ordered from them (yet) but there are a lot of tempting choices. https://www.submoashooting.com/bulle...m-caliber-264/

Comment

• DHD
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2022

My favorite "accuracy" bullet in both of my Grendel's (both AR's but very different rifles) are either a 120 SMK or even better, a Berger 120 BT Target. They don't have as sexy of a BC as some bullets but they tend to land real close to each other. I use either AA2520 or LeverRevolution, Lapua brass, and 450/Wolf SRM primers. I've shot both bullets to 600 yards off of a very good rest.

Comment

• tlen
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2019

Speer 90 gr TNT is you can find them. Speer [email] says they are still making them but I haven't seen any in a couple years.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2020

Paper? 105s or 107 sierras.
                          Clang steel? 105s or 107
                          Knock down steel? 123 hornady or 130 bergers

Comment

Working...
                          X