IMR 4064 (Russian 4895)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMR 4064 (Russian 4895)

Has anybody tried IMR 4064 in 6.5 grendel? I have 4#s of Jeff Bartlett Russian 4895 (which says load with IMR 4064 load data).

Thanks in advance for your $0.02.

I haven't seen anyone using it. I asked the same question awhile back because I have some 4064 on hand. Opinion was it's to slow for the Grendel.

Comment

I was hoping that there was a load for IMR4895 but I haven't seen one yet.

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

You can always try to find a load. With a 123 A-Max 25.5 gr of 4064 is about 100% density you would probably max out at around 27.5 gr, but you would want to start around 23 and watch for pressure signs. This is just a guideline I have no experience with this powder so be prudent.

Comment

I dont have the records but a few year ago I shot up about 100 rounds made with 4064. Used 50 120 gr Nbt. I filled up the case. Recoil was low. Point of impact was 1 1/2-2 inches low at 100 yards. accuracy was <1". Also shot up maybe 50 Hornady 129grSSTs. Same procedure -used a full case. Point of impact was 2-3 inches below where it hit usually with a 18 " barrel 1 inch low using a 24" barrel . Groups were maybe 2 1/2-3 inchs in all cases. I was not happy with 4064

Comment

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
            I dont have the records but a few year ago I shot up about 100 rounds made with 4064. Used 50 120 gr Nbt. I filled up the case. Recoil was low. Point of impact was 1 1/2-2 inches low at 100 yards. accuracy was <1". Also shot up maybe 50 Hornady 129grSSTs. Same procedure -used a full case. Point of impact was 2-3 inches below where it hit usually with a 18 " barrel 1 inch low using a 24" barrel . Groups were maybe 2 1/2-3 inchs in all cases. I was not happy with 4064
            By filled up the case, you mean to the top, completely full? Then you compressed down the powder when seating the bullet?

And 1" low and 2" to 3" low is compared to what? Are you comparing to factory ammo?

Comment

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
              You can always try to find a load. With a 123 A-Max 25.5 gr of 4064 is about 100% density you would probably max out at around 27.5 gr, but you would want to start around 23 and watch for pressure signs. This is just a guideline I have no experience with this powder so be prudent.
              I noticed that N140 and H540 are slower on the burn rate chart, but only by a little and these powders are listed in Alexander Arms load data. Do you think I could expect similar velocities using 4064?

Comment

• coastguardchas

Reuben: forget 4064 for the Grendel, save it for .308 Win. Chas

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by reubenhwk View Post
                  I noticed that N140 and H540 are slower on the burn rate chart, but only by a little and these powders are listed in Alexander Arms load data. Do you think I could expect similar velocities using 4064?
                  Reubin:

OK. 4064 is too slow for the Grendel. That doesn't mean it can't be safely used. Only that your velocities will be so low that you won't find 4064 to be of any real value.

If the 4064 you have has the same bulk density as N-140 and 540, you have a better chance that the velocities will be similar. If your 4064 is a military surplus powder, it may not even be 4064. It it is Russian made, you have even less a chance it is similar to anything else in the world. Commercial 4064 is notorious for having huge grains and the VV powders have smaller grains, I doubt the bulk density is similar.

Few people I know go with burn rate charts as an indicator of what will happen in a rifle chamber. You can read up on how burn rate charts are developed to learn why there is a difference.

If you insist on comparing the 4064 you have to N-140 and N-540, buy a chronograph and go for it.

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by saiga12 View Post
                    I was hoping that there was a load for IMR4895 but I haven't seen one yet.
                    27.7 grains behind a 120smk or 123 amax. It shoots extremely well. It's just slow. Last I remember, the same holds true for H4895, though I recall getting a little bit more velocity that way. This is my current accuracy load.

I can't speak for 4064 or any russian powder.

Comment

Working...
                    X