New Powders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey thanks. When I get through my next 40 thousand WSR primers I'll watch out for the new ones. Seriously, it's really useful to get that kind of warning ahead of time.

--fanofflyn

Comment

Now I know where to go if there is ever another primer shortage....

Comment

For comparison, I loaded identical loads in Lapua new brass, 29 grains LeverEvolution, and CCI small rifle magnum primers, the only change was from WSR primers, still the 120 grain Barnes TTSX. 24 inch barrel still showed 2450fps, no change from the WSR primers. There was no difference in the appearance of the fired brass, and no signs of abnormal pressure, but of course it WAS NOT MEASURED. I don't think magnum primers make a difference in this powder at this load with this bullet in this rifle. Just for general edification. I suspect a lead core bullet, of the same weight, would allow more powder capacity, and if there was no pressure problem, might show more velocity if the safe pressure was not exceeded.

Comment

I just bought a can of the leverevolution and am going to play with it, will update.

Comment

Really, in the same rifle and same bullet, I've not been able to make better performance with 2250. I'll try another powder soon. The leverevolution is so consistent that I may stick with it, but I want something that will work in my 14 inch T/C handgun also, so I may have to go to a faster powder, or to a lighter TTSX.

Comment

123 amax
              20" barrel

30.5 gr
              Available velocity 2504
              Standard deviation 4 fps

30.8 gr
              Average velocity 2543
              SD 2 fps

Can't wait to see how they shoot

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                123 amax
                20" barrel

30.5 gr
                Available velocity 2504
                Standard deviation 4 fps

30.8 gr
                Average velocity 2543
                SD 2 fps

Can't wait to see how they shoot
                Very interesting. Thanks for taking the initiative and looking forward to your range report.

Hoot

Comment

The Amax will allow more powder in the case than a 120 gr TTSX, if I'm not mistaken. I can't get 30 gr in without starting to increase the COAL, and I'm sure I can't getn 30.5 in with a TTSX and keep it within the magazine. I suspect that the Leverevolution will work with the right bullets for superior performance, but I'm a TSX fan. If only they would make a MRX in 6.5..........

Comment

I am getting 3/4" groups with my 30.8 gr load. I think it would do better, I had a breeze and a bad mirage which made my typical load which is a half inch or better load spread out to 1".

But I get more velocity from IMR 8208 and great groups so I think 8208 will be my powder of choice. Thou this leverevolutio would be a close second.

Comment

Okay forget my last post, there will now be a shortage of Leverevolution.

I don't know what the pressures are so be aware the following loads are a blind guess. BUT, the performance is awesome.

I can't post pics because my computer is a pile and I don't know how to post pics with the phone.

20" barrel
                      123 gr Amax
                      31.2 gr
                      2581 average velocity
                      15 fps standard deviation

4 bullets into one hole, 1 flyer about half inch out.

Now it gets interesting.

32.4 gr
                      2604 Average velocity

4 shots 1 hole 1 flyer 1/8" out.

I broke 2600fps and have a great shooting load. Hopefully I am not over on pressure, there are absolutely no signs that point to it. I will be shooting this on a regular basis so if something crops up I will let everyone know.

As a side note my touch down dance at the range got some funny looks and is now a point of embarrassment.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2011, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• Retooferab

What bullets?

Comment

See edited post.

Comment

• Drifter
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                            Okay forget my last post, there will now be a shortage of Leverevolution.

I don't know what the pressures are so be aware the following loads are a blind guess. BUT, the performance is awesome.

I can't post pics because my computer is a pile and I don't know how to post pics with the phone.

20" barrel
                            123 gr Amax
                            31.2 gr
                            2581 average velocity

4 bullets into one hole, 1 flyer about half inch out.

Now it gets interesting.

32.4 gr
                            2604 Average velocity

4 shots 1 hole 1 flyer 1/8" out.

I broke 2600fps and have a great shooting load. Hopefully I am not over on pressure, there are absolutely no signs that point to it. I will be shooting this on a regular basis so if something crops up I will let everyone know.

As a side note my touch down dance at the range got some funny looks and is now a point of embarrassment.
                            Nimrod- Good info. I'm seeing similar performance from an 18" barrel I'm now using, with velocities a little less (as expected).

A few questions:

What COAL are you loading to?

Is your barrel a Grendel chamber, or some other variant?

Are you using a neck bushing type sizing die, and if so, what size neck bushing?

Thanks
                            Last edited by Drifter; 06-01-2011, 04:14 AM.
                            Drifter

Comment

I'm loding to magazine length.

Mine is a .264 Les Baer chamber.

I am using the Hornady Custom dies that came with it.

What loads have you worked up with LVR?

Comment

I spoke with Hodgdon this morning and this powder is sensitive to temperature changes just like 2520.

They were also interested in my load data and took down all the details and said they would have a look at it;,,,,,,,so maybe they will eventually put something together for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X