Factory ammo 123 gr A-MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory ammo 123 gr A-MAX

I just finished some Hornady factory 123 amax's with the following chrono readings:
    2514,2507,2516,2512,2527,2516,2515.These were from a box I bought last year.

I then shot some of same except that I bought them 3 weeks ago and they have a different lot number. The results:

Is it normal for there to be such a difference in velocity with different lots of the same ammo? Or do I need a new chronograph?

Those are some pretty tight Extreme Spreads for a gas gun. I got an ES of 7fps recently. Those aren't too large of a difference in velocity to write home about, but it does illustrate the importance of keeping a rifle data book and recording your lot numbers, in addition to round count and accuracy of the loads.

What barrel length do you have? Is it your 19.5" barrel? Those are good velocities for that barrel length.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2012, 06:41 PM.

Comment

19.5" shilen.
      My concern is what a 35fps difference will measure out to in the 800-1000 yard target zone.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

What was the accuracy like?

Comment

123 A-MAX Factory.jpg10 shots...300 yards...2.58"

Just to clarify: My concern deals with using different lots. I hate the thought of having to chrono these things every time I buy them.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2012, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• terrywick4

At 800 yds that would equate to about a difference of 8 inches or 3 clicks on a 1/4 moa scope. I have seen the same types of differences when going from one lot of powder to another. One reason I try to chrono each batch.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Buy big batches!!

Comment

• terrywick4

really big batches!

Comment

• RangerRick

What was the temperature on each day you were shooting?

RR

Comment

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
                    What was the temperature on each day you were shooting?

RR
                    It was 60 degrees when I shot both strings today.

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                      I just finished some Hornady factory 123 amax's with the following chrono readings:
                      2514,2507,2516,2512,2527,2516,2515.These were from a box I bought last year.

I then shot some of same except that I bought them 3 weeks ago and they have a different lot number. The results:

Is it normal for there to be such a difference in velocity with different lots of the same ammo? Or do I need a new chronograph?
                      19.5" shilen.
                      I have observed the same, with nearly identical speeds from a 19.5" Satern barrel (Grendel chamber). Verified using two chronographs simultaneously. Recent purchases of this factory load have resulted in increased velocity, increased recoil, and primer-related pressure signs. Accuracy remains good.

I ordered from a different source when I got the faster loads. Just ordered again from my usual source, and will be curious to see how they do.

Something is definitely different.
                      Last edited by Drifter; 04-20-2012, 05:28 AM.
                      Drifter

Comment

Drifter, do you have the lot# of the ammo? mine is #3120527.

Dave

Comment

Seems to me that each batch has pretty tight tolerence. Give Hornady a call
                          and ask them about the 2 different lots having different velocities. I think they would appreciate you sharing your findings.

Comment

• Drifter
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Drifter, do you have the lot# of the ammo? mine is #3120527.

Dave
                            Traveling without access to the info at the moment, but should be able to check before end of the weekend.

Originally posted by Shivesy View Post
                            Seems to me that each batch has pretty tight tolerence. Give Hornady a call
                            and ask them about the 2 different lots having different velocities. I think they would appreciate you sharing your findings.
                            Sent an inquiry via e-mail. Waiting on a reply.
                            Drifter

Comment

I have not got the velocities on mine but have experienced high pressure signs as well with this round. I will choro this weekend and hopefully that will give me some more info.

Comment

Working...
                              X