More Chrony reports!! ((WARNING!)) lots of pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe in some other alternate universe where Mac's are the mainstream machine, and had the same aftermarket following as the machines based on IBM design, I might have a Mac

stokesrj
    Hi BW,
    I'm curious why you loaded the 100 A-Max as deeply seated as you did. Was it to avoid contact with the lands? On my Satern Grendel I can go all the way out to 2.250" before touching. Did you do any jump tests?
    This is a situation that still has me a bit confused as to what the real deal is. I can load them longer; all the way out to 2.260" and they will chamber fine, but I can not extract them with the Charging handle. Posts #21 - 31 detail the confusion. I have since then resorted to using the method that rasp65 outlines here jump&crimp To avoid artificial over-pressure.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
      ...I think I remember statements that the Horandy was equal to the Lapua internal volume.

My pic is a new Lapua case...

I charged a fired and resized Lapua case and that made a big difference the powder level is now at the junction of the shoulder and neck.
      Makes sense, and agrees with brass info on this link:

Robert Whitley of AR-X Enterprises, LLC builds match-grade uppers for AR-platform rifles. Many of Robert's favorite chamberings are based on the 6.5 Grendel case necked-down to 6mm. Until 2011, Lapua was the only source for 6.5 Grendel brass.
      Drifter

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
        Maybe in some other alternate universe where Mac's are the mainstream machine, and had the same aftermarket following as the machines based on IBM design, I might have a Mac
        There is an alternate universe, it's here and now Seriously, I meet often with a microsoft team of engineers and they use Powerbooks and Macbook Air lap tops. I kid them about it and they reply "best hardware out there to run windows". But I catch them running MacOS and Linux from time to time especially for video applications. I am working with them on the connect program.

I started out using apple computers and had a hand in designing the processors for them early on, so I'm partial. I managed the Motorola semiconductor division that made the 68000 processors and later on the Risk processors for many years. By the way IBM used several Motorola Patents to design those PC's.

Bob

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

CFE223 is VERY consistent! Perhaps the most consistent powder I've tried. I really like XBR 8208, but this stuff is very good. I think that I will have to wait on Bill Alexanders pressure tests, but 31 grains gave me an extreme spread of 5 FPS in 5 shots. 2640-2645 FPS under a 130 grain Berger from my 28" Grendel. That's not a real test, 5 shots is a small sample!

I was doing some ladder testing, and afterwards shot this 15 shots at 30.4, 30.7 and 31 grains. The 31 grain loads are all in or touching the orange, which is a 1.5 inch bull, at just short of 300 yards, the longest range available where I was shooting this afternoon.

More testing, especially with this bullet/powder combo.

Last edited by bwaites; 07-05-2012, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• What CAOL did you load those to?

How do your primers/case head look?

what primers did you use?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
              What CAOL did you load those to?
              Since I plan on shooting these in F Class at 300-600, and I have to single load in F Class anyway, I loaded them out to 2.330 which is just touching the lands in my rifle.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

I was doing some ladder testing, and afterwards shot this 15 shots at 30.4, 30.7 and 31 grains. The 31 grain loads are all in or touching the orange, which is a 1.5 inch bull, at just short of 300 yards...
                bwaites- That's an impressive vertical dispersion (~0.5-moa) for charge weights that vary up to 0.6 grains. Looks like you might have already found a sweet spot. Coincidentally, I think bwild's impressive group with 129gr SST's was a 30.8gr charge, which is right in there with your test loads using 130gr bullets.

I think y'all are on to something. Unfortunately for me, I had to call Fedex today asking about my CFE shipment, which hasn't moved in 5 days according to their online tracking. To their credit, I was surprised to actually get someone on the phone on July 4.
                Last edited by Drifter; 07-05-2012, 01:19 AM.
                Drifter

Comment

• It seems like those VLD's would be moving a lil bit faster from a 28" barrel

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                    It seems like those VLD's would be moving a lil bit faster from a 28" barrel
                    I expected better velocity too. Compared to what you are getting, these are doggie!

Comment

• The 130gr Berger at that velocity is a true long-range load all day long. I run it at 2860fps in my .260 Rem, and it is still very flat at 1000yds. I shot it through a double-layer target to look at what my terminal trajectory was, and I was surprised at how flat it was...couldn't have been more than 25 degrees I would gueestimate. Looking at my data, 2500fps gets it to 800yds with a high probability of holding under 1 MOA.

Bill, did you get an adjustable gas block on that 28" already?

Happy Independence Day, BTW! I'm headed to to FinnSniper tomorrow, and will meet with the Lapua guys again.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Happy 4th back at you! Did you ever get the bullets I resent you? Hope you have a good time in Finnland, and good luck at the match!!!

CFE-- I was going to wait to catch a sale (hopefully Powder Valley), but nothing good ever materialized. I couldn't take it any more, so I broke down and ordered an 8# jug to try along with some other stuff. This thread cost me money!LOL
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Von Gruff
                          Chieftain
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                          This thread cost me money!LOL
                          I have to say that this thread will save me a LOT of money as many of the variables (ha ha) have been worked through for the rest of us.

Happy 4th to all of you from the US.

Von Gruff.
                          http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                          Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post

I started out using apple computers and had a hand in designing the processors for them early on, so I'm partial. I managed the Motorola semiconductor division that made the 68000 processors and later on the Risk processors for many years. By the way IBM used several Motorola Patents to design those PC's.

Bob
                            Do you know Bill Howard or Jim Fiebiger? They were on the board of a startup company I used to work for.

(Sorry for the off topic folks!).

RR

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              The 130gr Berger at that velocity is a true long-range load all day long. I run it at 2860fps in my .260 Rem, and it is still very flat at 1000yds. I shot it through a double-layer target to look at what my terminal trajectory was, and I was surprised at how flat it was...couldn't have been more than 25 degrees I would gueestimate. Looking at my data, 2500fps gets it to 800yds with a high probability of holding under 1 MOA.

Bill, did you get an adjustable gas block on that 28" already?

Happy Independence Day, BTW! I'm headed to to FinnSniper tomorrow, and will meet with the Lapua guys again.
                              I was hoping to get it to 2700 FPS with that 31 gr load, but....

I haven't gotten an adjustable block, I'm having one custom made. I've switched to a Tubbs flat spring and carrier weight system, and the brass has lost its "belted magnum" look, with all the brass looking real good, except for soot on the necks, which is consistent with my gas gun experience across the board.

Comment

• CFE 223 pushin 120 gr nosler bt shoots very well in my 18"

31.5 gr cfe 223
                                fed 205 primer
                                col 2.260
                                vel. 2540 to 2560 (20 rounds) seems pretty consistant to me
                                hornaday twice fired brass

no pics right now.. I forgot my targets at the cabin

Comment

Working...
                                X