More Chrony reports!! ((WARNING!)) lots of pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good points Bwild97, cause I was having problems with the collapsing necks. My problem mostly is that some of my resized 7.62x39 won't chamber and some do. I'll try this first on a couple of rounds and test fire some. Do you have any other tips? Thanks again.

Comment

If you are using Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies, make sure that the zip rod is all the way down as far as it can be.

To do this, loosen the clamp nut that holds the zip rod, position the zip rod so that you can see the sizer button from the bottom of the die, with the zip rod still loose put a sized and decaped case in the shell holder and move the ram all the way up, make sure that the holder and die make contact, you might even screw the die in a 1/2 turn or so just to be sure, the web of the case will move the zip rod up a few clicks, now back the zip rod out 1/2 turn to make clearance for differences in web thickness.

The reason I suggest this is that I have had a few experiences where the expander button and case neck would cause a pinching condition that would also collapse the neck or keep the shell holder and die from making contact and in turn not positioning the shoulder into the correct place. also if you use the Hornady dies get a Hornady shell holder, #6 if I remember correctly. It is very important to make sure that the case is going all the way into the Die

Slightly bulged shoulders are nothing to worry about, they can not bulge enough to keep the round from chambering.

That's about all I have for re-forming 7.62x39 into Grendel brass!!

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

+1 on what Bwild said, but also make sure the rod is not too deep. You will break off the end of the rod if it is.

Also the #6 Hornady shell holder is important. Other brands can be slightly different and not completely size the case. Check my helo hog hunting thread for more on the headache it can cause...
        Last edited by txgunner00; 06-04-2012, 01:36 PM.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Thanks Bwild97 and txgunner00. All great information to know and to put into practice. I did find that one store in the Valley sells Hornady 6.5 Grendel 123gr A-Max Match for $20.25 a box. Going out there to buy a dozen or so.

Comment

More results with CFE223 and PP-2000-MR

I got some more time behind my Chrony yesterday. After reading through RickOshay's thread on the proper use of a chronograph last week, PA_Allen posted a great article from the Rifleman's journal. Most of which I feel was some very good info. What I took from the article was, how one holds a rifle can affect ES and SD. So I put this advice into action and the results have me fairly happy!

Comment

continued

Comment

Continued

Comment

And!

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Holy crap! Those numbers look pretty impressive to me... I'm definitely going to have to break down and buy some CFE 223 powder. Thanks for more awesome data!
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

I wanted to shoot 10 of each loading 5 @ 50*f and 5 @ 80*f to see how CFE223 would be affected by ambient temperatures, but it never got over 65*f. So I have the other half of these loads for when it gets a bit warmer. All above velocities recorded at 50-55*f.

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Comment

• terrywick4

33 gr on 100 amax a compressed load?

Comment

33 gr on 100 amax a compressed load?
                            Not even close!! I'm guessing I could get close to 34g before any compression occurs; and then, if I had to I could vibe the case to settle the powder.

I'm also going to guess that I will get close to a 34g charge before I have to quit due to pressure signs. I would love to see 2950-2975 fps with these components!

Sneaky, are you seeing any over pressure signs with your RL-7 loads? I'm glad to hear that you're getting good groups.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2012, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I know you sure have me on the edge of my internet seat!
                              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Vari-keep on your Seat,,,,lol.------- Bw., no over press, signs at all ! = shake noise in the case.-recheck, your charge wt's bro. stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X