More Chrony reports!! ((WARNING!)) lots of pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
    What Primers, Projo's, COAL's are you loading with? Primer and COAL can have a profound effect on velocity with a specific charge wt.

Have you put any factory Hornady ammo over your chorny? The box of 123g Amax that I purchased stated an avg. of 2580fps, my Chrony measured 2597fps avg. It would be interesting to see what your Chrony reports with factory 123g ammo from a 20" tube.
    That may give us a better picture of where the differences are coming from.
    One example is your SST load using 30.8gr of CFE-223 with CCI 450's seated to 2.270, with an average velocity of 2618 fps. Same load for me in Hornady fired brass with CCI 41's and 2.270 COL averaged ~2465. Still a good speed from my 19.5" barrel, but perhaps an exaggerated fps difference in our barrels because of the slower burn rate of the powder. The difference appears to be ~35 fps per inch of barrel length difference.

Hornady factory A-max usually runs ~2515 from my barrel, compared to your ~2600. The difference averages out to ~20 fps per inch, which seems more appropriate. I think it's less because Hornady uses a powder with a faster burn rate than CFE. I need 31gr of CFE to match the factory load, and I think the factory load uses less than 30gr of powder.

Other potential factors might include neck tension and its effect on pressure (and velocity), barrel / bore / chamber / throat differences, weather / climate, and perhaps elevation / altitude.

It always seems that accurate loads are below max, so my hope is to find some accurate CFE hunting loads that still have respectable speed.
    Drifter

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

B-dubbs- you just got the extension- on you- (Hour ! of fame)- rock on dude, as I stated before--we should all chip in a five spot for a new bbl. for you, I've made my projectile contributions twice,, so far,. Now don't get all big headed on us = LOL ! Keep up -as best you can- the awesome reports, etc. I just carpet bombed you with items -in the second batch-did it arrive yet? Email the pic, like last time- for descriptions. I hope we can acheive a couple more goals on this bunch, Thanks B! Good times. Awesome data.-- Oh man,,, I'm ammped . 3100-3100-3100! E-me, when they show.

Comment

• Data from 7/22/12 A look at how primers affect velocity and accuracy.

7/22/12 Brass Pics

Comment

• More......

Comment

• More.....

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Nice work B.! ( Can you post the latest bullets pic?,, and the spent primer pic also) Hey, even the old school bullets can be accurate ! The Interbonds are amazing, close to the last 105's. Even the 115- 120 accubonds look good. We both thought the 100 tsx -4 groove units would approach 3100, yet the cfe -223 powder seems to konk out at 3030-, or so.( Bwaites noticed the same results of units through his 28" and your 24 " as having the same speed checks .) Great team effort, great results-- great posting. This powder is very nice to work with. It's A case filler, yet very temp stable- on my end! I will do some tests when the temp cools down, for us northern hunters. Yahoo! We have a safe -faster new powder, and ultra clean burning! Also some nice data on different- lighter - bullet wts. Thank you for All of your efforts, Bwild. I'll find another bullet to test soon enough..... federal trophy copper, anyone?,,,,

Comment

• Here ya go Sneaky!!

Primer shots of the brass....Here!

Yes, it does appear that CFE223 poops out at 3000 fps. I was surprised to see that 35g of CFE223 was unable to push those 87g pills over 3k!

Comment

• jawbone
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

Bwild,
                  outstanding dedication and HUGE amount of well documented data.
                  you are definitely driven, and the rest of us are grateful and lucky for your efforts.
                  this community owes you.

jawbone

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

B dubbs, nice camera work.-Thank you again man. Thanks for the-( Big Push Attempt)- on the 100 tsx 4 grooved units, the primers were a Flatty !! -(I may find a few more lurking around here to try w/ a diff. powder , 3000 is plenty fast in the GRrrr....)- That's why I sent some new brass--in case yours went--to the recycle bin afterwards-LOL! When Hodgden releases more data on the future cfe powders--- they claim to have a full range= slow to fast burns, we can try to compare, for our diff. bbl. lengths together. BTW- I'll be using a 105-107 I bond this hunt season, for -out to 300 y. shots-if any pop up. in the thick stuff I hunt in, and the 93-5 Gmx for ultra close - to 100y. This is so fun. Dude, we did good.
                    Last edited by sneaky one; 07-26-2012, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Last edited by Drifter; 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM.
                      Drifter

Comment

• Group and Velocity data from 8/3/12. Main focus was primer fit and function

While Reloader 15 has provided the best accuracy with the 123g Nosler and stays close to my zero with the 100g Amax's, I got curious about the primers influence on velocity and POI from the POA using Wolf (PPU) and Hornady brass.

In an effort to get the Noslers more inline with my zero, I have setup a standard loading: 123g Nosler Custom Competition, 29.5g of RL15 @ 2.230" using an array of primers.

I also wanted to see if there were any other primers that fit as well as the Tulammo 7.62 NATO primers in Wolf (PPU) brass that has been reloaded 4 or more times. There was nothing specific about how I selected these primers, they were simply on the shelves of my local gun shops and Bi-Mart (except for the Tul. and S&B). They are listed from BEST to WORST in how well they fit the pockets.

Tulammo Large Rifle 7.62 NATO

CCi Large Rifle 200

Federal Large Magnum Rifle "Match" (same fit as the Sellier & Bellot)

Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle (same fit as Winchester Large Rifle)

Comment

• Continued....

Comment

• nice work B. we could all go in and get you a barrel for all this work, but hell, you may never get it !

Comment

• Bwild97, is your barrel also made by J&T ? What are the barrel specs ?... The accuracy and velocity you are getting is quite Impressive...

Thanks.

Comment

• The barrel on my rifle was machined by E.R. Shaw, is 24" with a 1:9 twist and is a SAAMI "6.5 Grendel" chamber. 1.125" under the handguard, .936" Gas block journal, .920" from gas block to the muzzle with a target crown.

Comment

Working...
                                X