Anyone have any luck with 130 Accubond loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any luck with 130 Accubond loads

Got a box of Nosler 130g Accubond's. Have AA Lapua brass, have both Rem 7.5 and Fed match small primers and have 8208 XBR and Reloader 15 powder. Any recommendations on load combo's with those components that anyone has had good luck with?
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Well, as a start point-use 25 grns.-of each, then work up .1-.2 @ a time. The primer larger-diam.=flattening, will show up soon. Find an accurate load before those higher pressure signs show up--it's easy to see that showing up== concentrate on the groupings= steady holds= better shooter. As a side note/ I've cut those 130 Accu's down to 120-110-100,, all with great results,, good luck, let us know your results, as- many like the heavy units.

Comment

Will do.. got the new hornady loading book and only goes up to 129 grain bullets... Hodgens manuals only show loading data for for up to 123 grain bullets. Guess bullets over 129 grain are not overly popular

Comment

Mike;
        Hornady's manual stops with 129's, but they used a 14.5" barrel and indicate that with the short tube, the velocities with 140's were just too low to give good bullet performance.

I personally think 129-130 would be the upper limit for me as well and my gun has a 20" barrel. My recent post showed a load with AA-2520 and a 123 gr. A-Max that averaged 2532 f.p.s. That's close to duplicating the Hornady factory load with that same bullet. IMHO, the 129 & 130 and heavier are infringing quite a bit into the case when loaded to magazine length. You start getting into compressed loads and velocities might not be up to having the heavier bullets perform. I'm referring here to the 140's & 139's. They take up a lot of case volume when seated to magazine length.

I'll stick with the 120 NBT or 120-123 A-max or 125 partition. JMHO
        Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Yea, the 130 Accubonds were the heavest i was planning on going with. Have a 24" Lilja barrel on my rifle so i figured if i could find a nice load that throws that 130 downrange that it would make a real nice hard hitting round. Have a bunch of 123 AMax and 120 Nosler which i am happy with their performance, just figured the 130 would make a nice addition to the arsenal! Gunna make up a few loads and see what they do.

Comment

The 130gr Nosler Accubond is 1.320" long, so it will take up a fair amount of case capacity for mag-length COAL limited loads. If you get a PRI 6.8 mag, you can load longer, but you also need to find out where your ogive engages the lands before going with longer COAL.

With the 130gr Berger VLD's, the secant ogive allows for long-loading in the Grendel, for example.

If you want a 130gr class bullet that doesn't take up a ton of case space, the Hornady 129gr Interlock Spire Point is an option, with only a 1.187" projectile length. We've compiled a helpful list of 6.5mm projectiles that are appropriate for the Grendel based on mag-length loading, and respectable velocities:

Here is an updated list of projectiles ranging from 85gr-130gr. Since a few hunters have seen great results with 140gr bullets, and the 160gr are the go-to pills for subsonic use, we'll include everything. Click on the dropbox link for a more comprehensive list, which is evolving as we discover more and more projectiles

Comment

Back in the day....on the old Grendel site; when Precision Firearms first started loading Grendel ammo. Precision Firearms POSTED their loads for the 130gr Accubond. I dont remember loading my own but I did buy a couple of hundred rounds. They shot well as I remember; surely <1 inch. If you were to contact them they would proably tell how they do it.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

mikeny- I re-checked my old notes., I started at 26.0 of Tac, 8208, and Rl15.--- yet RL15 is best for longer cases-not the Grrr. length units.).--on the Old forum , a few loved it. They loaded 120 short class @ 29-30., w/ RL15. I still am waiting for any data on Super-(duper)- Formance powder. Maybe-maybe someone has tried it with a heavy 6.5, bullet and the Grr. case ?? Keep it safe, work up. Let us know!

Comment

• RangerRick

Some guys on here have had good luck With CFE with 130grain bullets. It's prety dense so it doesn't fill the case as much.

I haven't tried it yet but I did try LeveRevolution. With a 20 inch barrel I got 2310 fps with 30.6 grains.

If the CFE pans out, we might be able to get close to 2500, but I'll believe that when I chrono it.

As always, work up to it, be safe.

RR
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2012, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X