• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

time shall show-

Comment

To your point about the .100 jump, from some of the really excellent groups Bwild has shown in his testing with 100 gr Hornady's loaded at 2.16 or so, for some reason they're working awfully well. My head has a hard time with the jump, as well, but hard to beat a result. If you have luck approaching Hornady in the 105-115 gr range, perhaps you could press them for an ogival profile more like the 123 AMAX than the 100's or 120's.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Thats part of the plan. I like their products, we just need a few more tailored for the Grrr., like they did for the 123 amax. If they would make a 110 Interbond, and a 95-100 GMX... I'd be thrilled. I could give up a hobby!

Comment

Seems like in terms of factory loaded options beyond Wolf and the small handful of other factory or custom loaded off the shelf bullets, Hornady could strike a real marketing coup and virtually own this round with some in between hunting/tactical options as you've suggested above. It's got to come from the 'voice of the customer', and as the Grendel's just been vetted by SAAMI, may be they're waiting to see how their initial offering does in projected annual sales before proceeding. That said, I have no idea if Federal/Rem/Winchester are planning to introduce any form of Grendel round, but as the horde grows, ownership demands more options and the manufacturers adopt the cartridge in AR or other formats, we stand a chance to grow, rather than fade into the blur of near equal cartridge options so prevalent in today's market. Which just further points to the handload option as lowest cost path to R&D projectile development. Hornady has a potentially hot iron in the fire, if they'd just recognize their position in that regard. Anything we can do to further the cause.....

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

bob, thanks for your insight, it's very much appreciated- I'll keep us all updated, and if help is needed-I know who to ask for help, to back anything up.

Comment

That's great. I'd love to see some pics of these.

There's a lack of modern bullets in the 100gr range. The Nosler BTs can blow up while punching through ribs and the 100 gr PT is too tough for sub-3000 velocity and small deer. The Hornady 100 SP needs a Boat Tail and bonding or an Interlock ring.

Contact Nosler also I'd love to see a 100-110 gr Accubond with it's tangent ogive. Or at least convince them toughen up the BTs a bit more.

I'll be testing the Berger 100 gr Target in medium and on Blacktail if it seems reliable. I like the way it delays opening, sure wish Berger would bond the back half like the Accubond.

Something else I'd like to see is bonded hunting bullets with much longer plastic tips to increase the BCs, kinda like the Scenars and SMKs do with their empty noses.

I should have my 260 in a couple weeks and one of my loads will mimic the 243, 250 Savage, 257 Roberts and 65G for med range Blacktail. I've been burning up the bandwidth lately researching loads and components and Sneaky One has put his finger on the hole in the light bullet offerings. Keep us updated please.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post

There's a lack of modern bullets in the 100gr range. The Nosler BTs can blow up while punching through ribs and the 100 gr PT is too tough for sub-3000 velocity and small deer. The Hornady 100 SP needs a Boat Tail and bonding or an Interlock ring.
                Bigfoot,
                My experience is different. The Nosler partition has about the most soft front end of any spitzer out there. I have shot reduced loads (2100 fps) with the 100 NPT into water filled jugs, and they expanded beautifully. Also I have had great on-game performance with the 100 gr Barnes TTSX. I have not shot any game with the 100 NBT, but I have shot water filled jugs at 100 and 350 yds, and the destruction was impressive.
                Just my 2 cents.
                https://

Best,
                PA

Comment

From looking at all the 100gr class bullets in 6.5mm, most are clearly meant to be used on varmints, with rapid expansion at high speeds. The 100gr solids from Barnes are exceptions to this, acting more like 120gr or longer pills, and built to retain mass with lots of expansion.

The 85-110gr hunting pills are in the lower left section in this picture; 120-130gr hunting pills are in the left, middle row, GMX and 120 Barnes TSX stick out like sore thumbs:

Comment

Thanks for the pictures PA Allen I saved em. Not much difference in expansion, granted the PT was going 200 fps faster than the BT.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                      Thanks for the pictures PA Allen I saved em. Not much difference in expansion, granted the PT was going 200 fps faster than the BT.
                      Your welcome. I've had great results with the 120 NBT out of the grendel, but others have reported mixed results. Nosler lists the 100 NBT as a game bullet; I may have to shoot some deer with them this fall to see how they perform. The 100 TTSX has been my go-to bullet for the past 2 seasons. A really nice thing is that, out of my rifle, the 100 NBT is spot on for elevation with the 100 TTSX out to 350 yds (as far as I have tried them), so I can carry them both with me and use them interchangably. Good luck with your hunting this fall.
                      Best,
                      PA

Comment

Working...
                      X