X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

tx, what size bushing are you using,etc. How much neck tension do those 160's have when loaded? I bought a bag of bullets last fall at a gun show-marked 6.5 mm. . I recently re-found them, they all are .268 in diam.-160grns. They look old school.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I'm using a Hornady new dimension sizing die. Sized case necks measure .261-.262 I.D. (IMI)

I have a variety of 160 gr bullets I've picked up from various places. I've only tested new production Hornady 160s RN bullets I bought from Grafs and some old production bullets of the same design I picked up cheap off a guy on another forum. They must have changed something because the old bullets start tapering from the cannelure forward such that I can't seat them as deep as the new production bullets with out them falling into the case. New bullets I seat at 2.210 but the old ones can't be seated deeper than about 2.215. Since I've started this project I've also picked up 160gr Sierra's that are no longer production I found at a local range and some .268 160 rn blemished Hornadys from Grafs. I have yet to try either of these.

How's these for old school?

IMAG2713.jpg
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Cool picture. I found some 100gr. Hornady's in the same style of box. I was wondering, why can't we just backload , say a 130 Accubond-to 1000 fps? Not enough damage to the hogs?

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

No reason why you can't but you loose a lot of energy. Since we are reducing velocity we must increase mass to deliver energy to a target. Also reducing velocity reduces the potential for a bullet to expand and fracture so by adding mass you can increase the potential for penetration.

I shot a few hogs I caught in traps with sub-sonic .223 75 grain OTMs to see what they would do. Only one bullet of 4 fractured. One passed through the vitals and exited, one was recovered between the ribs and hide on the exit side, the pieces of the one that fractured were mostly recovered in the shoulder muscle and one passed from front to back and was recovered in the pelvis. These were all 100-130 lb mature sows. I have not had the opportunity to try these 160s yet but I'm sure they will do the trick.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Good advice- I changed it up to the - .264-- 140 deepcurl, or the 140 hotcor- those two will be the ticket- on this quest, for me at least. Yes, the 160 looks good on paper, yet- no-one shoots -Too far, at game with these. Wanna buy my 160's ? They are old looking tho.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I added a link to the other thread about this in my original post. I want to make sure someone looking for the info doesn't miss it.

Comment

excellent! im really looking forward to comparing these rounds once my can clears.

Comment

Working...
                X