Wolf vs. Hornady Brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf vs. Hornady Brass

Is there a straight accross conversion or equivalence when loading large vs small primer brass? In other words if you load 28 grains of XX powder with XX bullet in small primer brass, can you use the same powder charge in the large primer brass? Or increase or decrease it by YY amount for a start?

I know that I'm probably asking an obviously stupid question - I'm sure the answer is no, but where does one start when loading wolf... higher or lower than Hornady? And by how much? 1%? 5%? 10%?
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

P-P At one time AA posted loading data for the Wolf cases. It was virtually the same other than the primer. The only time you have to worry about different charges is if you use fireformed cases. The primer pockets tend to open up to the point of unusable on cases that use large primers very quickly.

Comment

"P-P"
      I know that I'm probably asking an obviously stupid question - I'm sure the answer is no, but where does one start when loading wolf... higher or lower than Hornady? And by how much? 1%? 5%? 10%?
      No, this is not a dumb question. Many people are perplexed by the mystery behind the primer. If you are using a published starting load from a loading manual; use the primer in the recipe, if you can get them. If you can't get them, or if they are not readily available to you, use a similar type (ie. Magnum vs. non magnum)

If the data says to start with 25 grains of XX powder start with 25 grains regardless of the primer you chose. The only issue where I would caution a person, is to be careful when using a different primer at max/never exceed charges of any published load; simply for the sake of safety.

If you plan on reloading the PPU (Wolf) brass, I strongly recommend the use of the Tulammo 7.62 NATO primers. They offer a very snugg fit even after several reloads, the Win.LR are absolutely terrible, hard detonation with thin brittle cups.

I'll be testing a few other large rifle primers this weekend that I can get locally, and seem to be more popular. (CCi, Fed, Rem.) The PPU brass that I have has already been reloaded 5 times so I will be looking how well they fit as well as the differences in velocity

Comment

Thanks guys! I will get some of those Tulammo primers - hate to let this brass just rot away.

Comment

Working...
        X