This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel-Gene

So what kind of accuracy would be reasonable from my round above???

Comment

• Dogue
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post
      So what kind of accuracy would be reasonable from my round above???
      That, my friend, is why we shoot them?

It really depends on how your rifle likes it. For me it seems my rifle prefers running on the ragged edge for best accuracy (which isn't very friendly to brass life). 28.5gr was much better for me than 28.0, so I'm planning to try some at 28.2-28.3 next time out.
      Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

interesting.......

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

i still have 50 more to load... i may decide to take a walk on the wild side and push it up to 28.3.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dacapster View Post
            The only factory ammo I have tried was the wolf and even with them I get flat primmers. I will try the Hornady shells shortly. I will see if The CFE will be a bit better..

This was about the 4th reload on lee dies. AA brass. I will dial my gas block back to zero for the next few runs.
            That does not look healthy. Do you have a headspace problem? What kind of buffer components are you using. Going too light on the buffer can be bad enough to cause head separation problems due to timing. So dialing the gas back might be a good idea.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dacapster View Post
              The only factory ammo I have tried was the wolf and even with them I get flat primmers. I will try the Hornady shells shortly. I will see if The CFE will be a bit better..

This was about the 4th reload on lee dies. AA brass. I will dial my gas block back to zero for the next few runs.
              That's a timing issue. The bolt is unlocking before pressure has dropped enough. That is the dreaded "Grendel belted magnum".

You need to dial back your gas block, use a heavier buffer, use a stouter spring, use a carrier weight system....or all of them!

Comment

• Parts are comming thx....!

Comment

• I use all of them! For the sake of saving my brass!

Comment

• I just loaded up some of the 123 AMAX "preferred load" with 8208 XBR. My range is closed until January, but I might make the trek out to another range that has a 300m range.

I've got a BHW 20" with an LBC chamber. It usually does 1.5 moa with most loads I've tried, but a couple loads do around 3/4 moa. Really hoping it likes the 123 AMAX, I built it to be 1/2 moa rig...

A question for competition shooters or guys with polygonal BHW barrels: How many rounds do you go between cleaning without a noticeable loss in accuracy? I picked up some bore tech eliminator, but haven't tried it yet.

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Can't help you on your barrel question but you did get a good solvent for copper. I've been using it for quite a while and I like the fact I can soak the bore with a patch, let it sit over night, hit it with a brush the next day and a few patches later the barrel is clean. Nice and easy without much effort. Also there no chance of damage like with some other solvents.
                      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grendel-Gene View Post
                        I wonder what the muzzle velocity difference might be between using 28.5 grains versus 28 of 8202... I am also contemplating trying to stay at the lower stress levels. Does anybody know? I have an 18 inch Satern barrel.... Thanks
                        The average out of my 19.5" barrel for 10 shots.

120SMK
                        28.0gr 2567fps
                        28.5gr 2583fps

123 AMAX
                        28.0gr 2539fps
                        28.5gr 2577fps

The best group was with the AMAX load with 28.5gr at 0.81". I was using PPU brass with CCI 200 primers.

Comment

• Guys, just got a few hundred amax 123s & 120 match kings, have some 8208, once fired primed & polished brass - anything special I have to do to give these rounds a try for precision?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Be sure to watch the Hornady cases for length. I had chambering issues because I had some cases that were to long. I'm not using match dies so it is easier for me to trim my fired brass to keep everything consistent.

Comment

• Carrier wieghts and a wolf spring fixed my issues! Thx folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fly_360 View Post
                                I just loaded up some of the 123 AMAX "preferred load" with 8208 XBR. My range is closed until January, but I might make the trek out to another range that has a 300m range.

I've got a BHW 20" with an LBC chamber. It usually does 1.5 moa with most loads I've tried, but a couple loads do around 3/4 moa. Really hoping it likes the 123 AMAX, I built it to be 1/2 moa rig...

A question for competition shooters or guys with polygonal BHW barrels: How many rounds do you go between cleaning without a noticeable loss in accuracy? I picked up some bore tech eliminator, but haven't tried it yet.
                                I clean my BHW barrels about ever 100 rounds. They are shot in matches quite a bit so that is about normal. I have run them over 175 with no lose ib accuracy. The barrels are so smooth I seem to never get copper fouling to any degree. They are the smoothest barrels I have ever owned.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X