• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

And the WINNER IS......
    Wait, 22 pages and no consensus on the top two or three loads that will in most cases work great for any grendel? Which was the main point of the thread?
    Maybe I missed it, I did skim over the 22 pages. If so please point them out!
    Here is my limited understanding so far:
    Top powders: XBR 8208, CFE 223, H335
    Top bullets: 123 SST, Sierra 120 MK, Nosler 129 ABLR
    Top Primer: CCI 450
    Top brass: Lapua, Hornady
    I invite the more experienced Horde members to add/correct/finish this if possible!

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Right now I have just 2 rifles in 6.5 Grendel,both AR15.Quality barrels. I used IMR8208XBR and both of my rifles love it. But I happen to have over 10 pounds of H335 sitting on the shelf and they seem to like that just as much.
      I also have plenty of CFE223 and Varget.But,I haven?t gotten great results with those two.
      My 22 inch criterion H bar barrel likes 120 grain SMK with 27.9 gn H335. I load 123 grain Hornaday ELD match with 27.3 g H335 for my 24inch heavy Bartlein.

Comment

• Tex74
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2018

Last edited by Tex74; 06-20-2020, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Huckleberry75
          Warrior
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by apynckel View Post
          Has anyone done a load progression with 8208 XBR with 95 gr VMAX in a 24" barrel?
          Or H335

Comment

• FloorPoor
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2020

Nice work!

Comment

• Coyote Bob
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2019

Originally posted by bobke View Post
              Kind of curious why Nosler 100/120 gr Ballistic Tips haven't shown up on the possibles list. Have had some very good results with TAC and 8208, as well as others I've seen post here, but they are pricey relative to 123 Amax. Other factor I seem to remember is that whatever you shoot behind Noslers will never group as well as the Noslers because of some softer copper wash left behind by the BT's. Any substance to same?

Comment

• GregS
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2020

From what I gather from reading all of this, AR Comp is the up and coming powder some of you are using. I just picked up 5 pounds of it yesterday, ordered 200 Hornady 123 SST's. Also I have a couple hundred of Hornady brass and 100 federal brass to work with.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                  From what I gather from reading all of this, AR Comp is the up and coming powder some of you are using. I just picked up 5 pounds of it yesterday, ordered 200 Hornady 123 SST's. Also I have a couple hundred of Hornady brass and 100 federal brass to work with.
                  And it seems like everyone is finding performance in the 27.6-27.8 grain range.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    Hornady case
                    Ar-comp at 28 grains
                    Cci450
                    120 gold dot at 2.290 coal
                    No crimp

Straight money in my 16 inch and 12.5 inch grendels.
                    What mags are you using for 2.290 COAL?

Comment

• GregS
                      Unwashed
                      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Grendelshooter View Post
                      And it seems like everyone is finding performance in the 27.6-27.8 grain range.
                      I ordered 200 starline brass. they are thicker and hold less volume of powder, what is a good starting load with the 123 sst's?

Comment

• Bobke
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2015

Comment

• GregS
                          Unwashed
                          • Feb 2020

I have set the Hornady and Federal brass aside. I'll only be using the Starline brass for now as I work out my loads. Looks like about 26 gr. should be the starting point with AR Comp. I'll be buying a chronograph soon to help me with my load development. Thanks for the in put.

Comment

• Javman
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Clays23 View Post
                            Got a hot load in my ruger American 100 grain Nosler BT 31 grains 8208 Remington 7 1/2 primers 2.260 oal 2859 FPS
                            Clays,

How did it group for you?

Thanks

Comment

• Hollis
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Cajuntransplant View Post
                              I've switched back to the Hornady 123ELDM rounds loaded over ARComp. Still the most consistent and best shooting. Averaging around 2520fps from supressed 20" barrel and can hold 1/2 - 3/4 MOA out to 600yds. Easy to find components too. I liked the 107TMKs over benchmark powder but the 123ELDM just give a little more thump on targets at distance. The Gen2 PST 5-20 has been top notch as well for the Grendel. Very happy and hoping I can get out this winter for some critter control.
                              Sorry if you posted it somewhere but I can't find it. What was your load data for the ARComp with 123ELDM? I have both of these, powder and bullet, and want to give this a try to see how it works in my Grendel.

Comment

• Jackd
                                Unwashed
                                • Jun 2016

looking to find a super accurate load that will be accurate in my BHW type I 20" barrel and my Howa mini 20" barrel
                                Tried lots of loads with many powders and I finally got there

123 ELD Match
                                Lapua case
                                cci std primer
                                28.3 Gr 8208
                                best 5 shot groups @ 100 yd .248 gas gun and .437 mini
                                haven't chronoed yet

Comment

Working...
                                X