X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muvef
    Warrior
    • Mar 2017

I had to return my 18" Criterion hybrid barrel. I couldn't get it to shoot any better than 2.5" groups if I was lucky. I tried several powders and bullets with no luck. Factory ammo produced 4" groups. Luckily Brownells took it back after I had it almost two years. Head space was really short.

Comment

• shreddykruger
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by muvef View Post
      I had to return my 18" Criterion hybrid barrel. I couldn't get it to shoot any better than 2.5" groups if I was lucky. I tried several powders and bullets with no luck. Factory ammo produced 4" groups. Luckily Brownells took it back after I had it almost two years. Head space was really short.

Comment

• muvef
        Warrior
        • Mar 2017

Mine was rifle length gas system. Honestly, it was producing 4" inch groups with Hornady Black. Brownells gave a store credit that I immediately spent on a Odin barrel.

Comment

• 65newloader
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2018

New Sanders Armory 13" 5R SS barrel on its way. I have not loaded for a short barrel. Any suggestions on bullets, powder, etc. When it gets here, I will measure out the chamber and see how it looks. Re-barreling 300 BO pistol, so not really a new build. Hope everyone is well.

Comment

• Pwoller
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2019

My 12 BA likes the lighter bullets. 85 Sierra and 90tnt. Benchmark and ar comp do the best so far. 8208 and 322 are decent but not great.

Comment

• 218bee
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2020

My CZ rifles did not really shine until I switched to H322. This is an old bench-rest powder that is perfect for the case capacity of the little Grendel. I have a glass-bedded CZ American that likes the 120 Sierra MK bullets and my MTR with shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards loaded with the Sierra 85 HP's over the same powder. Unfortunately, I believe Sierra has discontinued that 85 grain speedster. I have about 500 left on the shelf, when they are gone I will try to work up a load using a different bullet in the 90-107 grain range. ( the MTR seems to prefer the lighter bullets ) Lapua makes the best brass you will ever find for the Grendel. Normally selling for close to $100 for 100 cases, they can be found from time to time online for almost half of that. Anyone have a recommendation for a light bullet replacement for the 85 Sierra ??.................Don in SC

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

I didn't have to work hard at all to get the Speer 90 TNT to shoot clover leafs...and I'm not much of a shot.
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• peak98
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2019

Originally posted by 65newloader View Post
                  New Sanders Armory 13" 5R SS barrel on its way. I have not loaded for a short barrel. Any suggestions on bullets, powder, etc. When it gets here, I will measure out the chamber and see how it looks. Re-barreling 300 BO pistol, so not really a new build. Hope everyone is well.

Comment

• doubleduck
                    Unwashed
                    • Aug 2020

Hello Grendelarians, I am new to the forum and could use some advice. I have an AR15 with 16 inch faxon match barrel and nothing but a thread protector on the end of the muzzle because I want to keep it short. I have read through the "preferred loads" and tried several of the suggestions and others without much success: Factory Hornady 123g Black, factory 123g SST, 123 SST with xbr8208, Varget, 123 Eld-m with 27.6g AR. 120g Eld-m with 8208, H4895, Varget, AR. The best I have been able to reproduce is approx 1 1/8 inch 5 shot groups with 120 Eldm and 28g 8208, most of my other attempts were 2 inch groups or larger, many were Ugly. Based on my trials do you think I am better off moving to a different bullet weight, perhaps 100g or 107g or should I keep trying powders? My instinct is that I am in the wrong weight category. Additionally, my 120g Eldm is 2.249 to the lands. I don't know if that is normal but as a result I was loading the 120 Eldm to 2.225. Any advice is appreciated.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by doubleduck View Post
                      Hello Grendelarians, I am new to the forum and could use some advice. I have an AR15 with 16 inch faxon match barrel and nothing but a thread protector on the end of the muzzle because I want to keep it short. I have read through the "preferred loads" and tried several of the suggestions and others without much success: Factory Hornady 123g Black, factory 123g SST, 123 SST with xbr8208, Varget, 123 Eld-m with 27.6g AR. 120g Eld-m with 8208, H4895, Varget, AR. The best I have been able to reproduce is approx 1 1/8 inch 5 shot groups with 120 Eldm and 28g 8208, most of my other attempts were 2 inch groups or larger, many were Ugly. Based on my trials do you think I am better off moving to a different bullet weight, perhaps 100g or 107g or should I keep trying powders? My instinct is that I am in the wrong weight category. Additionally, my 120g Eldm is 2.249 to the lands. I don't know if that is normal but as a result I was loading the 120 Eldm to 2.225. Any advice is appreciated.
                      Charge weight first over chronograph, seating depth second= sub moa.

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

DD...what were your results with factory Black and SST loads? Just wanting to know so we can establish a baseline.
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• doubleduck
                          Unwashed
                          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                          DD...what were your results with factory Black and SST loads? Just wanting to know so we can establish a baseline.
                          Hornady Black shot 2 1/4 groups. Factory SST was as bad so I pulled the bullets and tried 27.8-28.5g 8208 loaded to 2.25. I got a couple 5 shot groups that had 4 shots under an inch but always a flier and I mean a flier making it 2-3 inches, not 1 1/8 or 1/1/4. My speeds ranging from 2350-2408 fps.

Comment

• doubleduck
                            Unwashed
                            • Aug 2020

Im not sure what your saying A5. If I list all the charge weights I tried I will run out of ink.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by doubleduck View Post
                              Im not sure what your saying A5. If I list all the charge weights I tried I will run out of ink.
                              Most barrels will shoot Factory Hornady 123 grain ELD-Match ammo. The 120 grain Sierra Match King is an accurate bullet in most rifles. If I was in your position I'd try some Federal 130 grain Gold Medal Match ammo or Federal American Eagle 120 SMK.

Make sure your gas block is not hitting the hand guard. Ensure the gas tube is properly aligned and the barrel nut is tight. Make sure you have a good trigger and verify you have a good scope. If there are no other problems it might be the barrel. I'd have another shooter try and if I couldn't get any accuracy (1.5" or better) with 120 grain SMK, 123 grain ELD-M, Federal 130 Gold Medal Match or Federal TNT 90 grain then I think you have a sub par barrel.

The 120 grain Sierra Match King and the 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter will usually produce good groups in about any barrel with various powders. If you can't get 1.5" groups with either of those two bullets I think it is a subpar barrel or some other problem.

Comment

• grayfox
                                Chieftain
                                • Jan 2017

Another pointer, the 120 Eldm is "stubbier" up front which limits its seating coal. Try the 123 Eldm (same powder wts), its a more slender frontal portion, you should get better results and longer coal ability. Made for the Grendel.

With that 16" faxon, when you get a chrony to shoot over, you should look for 120 class speeds in the 2410-2450 range.
                                That 120 SMK is a very forgiving bullet and load. LR1955 on this forum recommends it for seeing if your barrel is any good.
                                I found the faxon barrels to be fairly good, not match grade like a Lilja but decent shooters.

Last point: I have put a muzzle brake on my rifles to help me in controlling recoil and muzzle flip. I know others say they don't need it but it helps me. If you want, try a VG 65 gamma (6.5 caliber) and a jam nut (not a crush washer) and that will help your muzzle control. Not very expensive but really an excellent MB.
                                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X