• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by doubleduck View Post
    Im not sure what your saying A5. If I list all the charge weights I tried I will run out of ink.
    Did you run those weights on the chronograph to see what it was telling you? If not then how would you know where to stop and know you had a good load with low sd and es numbers and then start working on seating depth too get the bullet exit and barrel harmonics in tune to give you tight groups.

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

DD,
      make sure scope base and mounts are tight. or whatever is holding your scope to the rifle. as others have pointed out, make sure your barrel is truly free floated, i.e. gas block & gas tube have clearance. what scope are you using? do you have a known good scope you could swap as an experiment? is this a purchased upper or a DIY build? how's the trigger pull? 7 to 8 lbs? 2.5 to 3?
      -tdbru

Comment

• doubleduck
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
        DD,
        make sure scope base and mounts are tight. or whatever is holding your scope to the rifle. as others have pointed out, make sure your barrel is truly free floated, i.e. gas block & gas tube have clearance. what scope are you using? do you have a known good scope you could swap as an experiment? is this a purchased upper or a DIY build? how's the trigger pull? 7 to 8 lbs? 2.5 to 3?
        -tdbru
        Thanks You td, vascar, A5, greyfox and company. I will take your advice and drill down to see if I can come up with answers. One last question, what do you think is a reasonable group for a faxon barrel? Its going to be used for deer hunting so I don't need 1/2 inch but I want "reasonable expectations" for what I have.

Comment

• tdbru
          Warrior
          • Dec 2019

DD,
          like everything mass produced by human hands, sometimes you get a "hummer" and sometimes a "bummer". the better barrel makers make more hummers than bummers, but we're not perfect, so neither are our products.

reasonable group.... depends on who's shooting too. one of the "presidents' 100" is way better at it than i am. how is your bench technique? i've not heard a lot of bad about faxon barrels. Obviously they don't rate up there like Krieger or Obermeyer. also make sure your load is up to it too as others have mentioned. they have good suggestions on a goto bullet for testing accuracy. i can see the problem you may have right now is finding either the federal match ammo or the correct loading components as everything seems to be sold out right now.

it's very hard to say what your faxon barrel should group with your loaded ammo with you shooting, with your scope at your range. have you shot an AR a lot in competition? or is an AR platform new to you?

others can comment on what kind of groups they get with their faxon barrel, on their build, and with their load, with their scope, at their range. trying to tell you what you should be getting is not realistic in my opinion. too many unknown variables.
          not trying to be grumpy or a smartass, but even for me, what i can get out of my platform vs letting a top shooter shoot my platform will give 2 different results of how even my AR groups.
          -tdbru

Comment

• BoDuke80
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2020

Same thing with my criterion

Originally posted by tucansam View Post
            Exact same barrel here. 20" PF Criterion, 1:8. Looks like it was built in a NASA lab, its very pretty. Only took 18 months to arrive. I'll never do business with PF again, ever.

Won't group factory Hornady to save its life. I'm hoping reloads will work better. Very surprised that it doesn't shoot considering the hype around this barrel when I bought it two years ago, and the price I paid for it at the time.
            I called criterion and they said send us your upper it's gotta be your reciever or bcg. Like it had to be anything but their barrel. There's not much more they could do I can't do. So I lapped the reciever bedded the barrel with high temp sleeve retaining compound re-torqued it used shims n rockset on the muzzle break and it's better but still won't group factory ammo. Handloads help but I'm bout ready to scrap it

Comment

• GregS
              Unwashed
              • Feb 2020

123 SST, new Star Line brass, 27.9gn AR Comp, small rifle Winchester WSR primers. 4 shots at 100 yards. I think I'm on to what my Grendel likes. No extractor marks or signs of over pressure. Ballistic Advantage 20" Aero Precision Upper and Lower, Velocity Classic AR Curved Trigger 3lb pull, Nikon 2.5x10x40 mil dot scope.

target1.jpg
              Last edited by GregS; 12-15-2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• knitepoet
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2020

My pet load, that shoots great in my AA overwatch and VERY good in my custom Rem 799 is
                26.0 H4895
                AA Case
                Wolf SR primer
                Hornady 123 A-Max
                2.25 COAL
                2375 MV from the 24" OW

2 other friends with Grendels have also had outstanding results with that load

Here's one of my load development targets with that load in my OW
                123 AMax-fouled.jpg
                ETA: That's 5 shots @ 100 from a cold fouled bore

Comment

• seasprite
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2021

Hey all newbie here I've been lurking for awhile and decided to join. I'm currently working on load development for my space force build which has an 12" faxon with JP bolt. I'm using 123 ELD's with CFE223 and Hornady case. I hope I'm staying in the spirit of the thread here and giving some data for everybody. I haven't shot for groups yet this was a just a powder charge test to low ES and SD's. The next test will be seating depth and for groups.

temp 55
                  hum. 36%

123 Elds
                  wolf srp
                  Hornady cases
                  CFE223 powder
                  COL 2.275"

30.7 gr
                  avg 2238
                  es 18
                  sd 6

avg 2261
                  es 29
                  sd 11

avg 2290
                  es 58
                  sd 25

avg 2294
                  es 30
                  sd 13

avg 2324
                  es 17
                  sd 6

avg 2361
                  es 18
                  sd 7

These were 5 shot groups
                  My next test will be seating depth from 2.275 to 2.248 in .003 increments.

THESE LOADS WENT ABOVE PUBLISHED MAX IN HORADY'S MANUAL WORK UP AT YOUR OWN RISK.
                  Last edited by seasprite; 03-07-2021, 01:39 PM. Reason: forgot temp and hum.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

Sorry for double post but every time I edit I delete the post. My barrel is an off the shelf criterion I ordered from brownells. Nothing special going on.

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

I think you're on to something here. Shorten that seating depth and see where it takes you.
                        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Zeneffect
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2020

for sure need to play with seating depth, crimp, maybe see what some graphite does during bullet seating (cheap experiment) but i need to find more pills first. moving onto 108 lapua scenar to hold me over and do the graphite experiment.

Comment

• seasprite
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2021

Got to the range Sat. and did my seating depth test. Shot one really good group and the rest I seemed to have issues. I know part of the problem is I can see my heart beat in the reticle, which might explain the horizontal stringing on a lot of the groups. I need to figure a way to overcome this. I'm trying Erik Cortina way of load development and would like 2 nodes together like he talks about.

Load was :
                            123 ELD
                            Hornady case
                            wolf srp
                            32.0 gr CFE223
                            COL: 2.275" down to 2.248"

Started having pressure signs at 2.248" (some light ejector marks)
                            Plan as right now is to retest the 2.272" and the 2.257".
                            Curious as to what would be the hordes next move on this?

Comment

• Zeneffect
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2020

Retest in front of chrono. 2.272 looks like it's on the money though

Thanks for the awesome data

Comment

• Restomod
                                Unwashed
                                • Apr 2021

Okay the premise of this thread was to provide a good starting place for reloading 6.5 Grendel - i.e.- bullet mfr. & weights, type of powder & grains, primers, etc.
                                There are now 25 pages of (excellent) info, but it is still 25 pages of varying info.
                                Can someone please give me a good starting point for a 20" Noveske barrel on an Aero AR platform?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X