X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Worstletter
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2021

AA#2460. Phenomenal load for BA and Single shot barrels over 18". Temperature stability and good speed. All the load data I've seen is for AR pressures. 0.020 off the lands and try to keep the COAL 2.26-2.27. 123gr FMJ Hornadys with 2460 and 28.5gr I get exactly 2460fps in the Howa. You can squeeze in more but at this point you start stretching the brass out more. SDs with brand new Starline brass are in the single digits with ES around the teens. I've only pushed to 29.1grs getting just past 2500fps with 123gr FMJs.

Comment

• Banjo
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2021

Comment

• Former Cav
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2019

Varget will give you that kind of a group also. and you will be right around 2350 FPS

Comment

• Usmc1974
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2020

I run a 140 RDF over 28 grains AA2520 out of my 18" Sanders match barrel with R5. I get 2300 fps(will 2299 from my maga speed 3) no pressure signs, ejector swipes or flat primers. I use a adjustable gas block with silence to harvester. Muzzle energy 1644 the good part is I am supersonic @ 1000 with 457 energy.

Comment

• northdude
            Bloodstained
            • May 2020

85gr sierra hollow point 31gr win 748 2700fps 15mm 5 shot group at 100m howa mini

Comment

• rln136@yahoo.com
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2022

Over pressure signs with this load

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
              For the 123gr A-max, your load using 28.5gr of 8208 is somewhat hot in my Grendel chamber (using CC #41 primers). 28.0gr or slightly less does reasonably well. Same charge using AR-Comp has been more accurate for me.

As for the 129gr SST, I get good results with 27.0gr of AR-Comp, and decent results with the same charge using 8208.

While a barrel might perform well with a variety of powders, I see less temperament with accuracy when switching bullets if the same powder is used for both (assuming the powder's burn rate is appropriate for bullet weights being used).

Comment

• mdram
                Warrior
                • Sep 2016

did you work up your own load? every chamber is a bit different
                just some targets for printing
                https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

I experience the same. Pretty common as I understand it (not to say this is ok) per my notes I stop at 27.3gr xbr with the 123gr amax because signs develop after.

Hornady book lists higher than what one should run as max with the 123gr. At the range yesterday and I tested 120gr amax up to 28.2gr and it was OK. It is encouraging to see you are applying smart methodology and stopping to question safety... this will lead to a success story I'll enjoy reading about rather than a tragedy.

Comment

• Desert Demon
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2020

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

I've only tested the 108 scenar with norma 202 and couldn't get the gun to cycle well. Willing to try some cfe though as I have pleanty of that and not much desire to use any since discovering the wonders of lvr.

I can run it through quickload if you can provide some details like cartridge overall length and case capacity

Comment

• Hollis
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2019

The guys in this forum talked me into reloading a while ago and I am really thankful for that. I got off to a great start with my Lee turret kit and loaded the recommended load in top of thread but with ELDM 123 grain (instead of AMAX) with the 28.5 grains of IMR 8208XBR and shot sub-MOA right out the chute. I thought reloading was real simple: just find a good recipe that someone posts and duplicate it. Well, a lot of time and expense later, I've learned a lot in finding the ideal load for all of my rifles, but I've been using that originally suggested load data for my go-to round in my Grendel. I've had great results out to 500 yards. But I had to switch to the ELDM 120 grain this time around since the 123s weren't available and I remember Johnny (Shannon) had great luck with these, so I decided to give them a try with both Accurate 2520 and IMR 8208. Well, I got the best results ever shooting groups at 100 yards.

65G120ELDMGroups.JPG

65G120ELDMGroups2.jpg

The first group shot high, so I adjusted scope and shot at same .75" target and got a .22 MOA group at 26.8 grains (2400 fps) but I'll be fine tuning the load at 27.7 gr (2470 fps - last group to right) since it seemed to be in a more stable zone (comparing velocity and POI of groups before and after) and still shot very good group. Only shot 3 shot groups due to component scarcity and cost these days, but this gives me enough data to hone in and find best load.

I really do appreciate all the help I have received from the very knowledgeable people in this forum. Also, the barrel used above was a group buy barrel.
                        Last edited by Hollis; 03-20-2022, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Worstletter View Post
                          25.4 gr of CFE BLK and Hornady 120gr ELD with a COAL of 2.230. Velocity between 2450 and 2490 fps.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BillS
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2022

The only load data I have handy is the Hornady manual. It calls for WSR primers. I have CCI and CCI SR Magnum primers. Anyone have any data using CCI magnum primers?

Comment

• BillS
                              Unwashed
                              • Mar 2022

Do you think matters if I use CCi standard smr primers or can I use magnum smr primers? Hornady load manual says WSR. Primers are hard to come by.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                                Chieftain
                                • May 2020

I prefer the magnum primers personally. Just use the magnums and work up like normal, nearly everyone here uses them successfully.

Comment

Working...
                                X