• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BillS View Post
    Do you think matters if I use CCi standard smr primers or can I use magnum smr primers? Hornady load manual says WSR. Primers are hard to come by.

In an AR-15 with floating firing pins the primers with thicker cups help reduce the hazard of a slam fire. Magnum primers like CCI 450 are commonly used by forum members. BR4 bench rest primers have thicker cups as do military CCI 41 and Federal AR primers.

Comment

• Worstletter
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2021

You're correct there's no published data for CFEBLK. This powder is only ideal for short barrels less than 12". Sorry if my post didn't make that clear.

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Worstletter View Post
        You're correct there's no published data for CFEBLK. This powder is only ideal for short barrels less than 12". Sorry if my post didn't make that clear.
        Let's be clear about interior ballistics! A shorter barrel length DOES NOT make a fast powder safe if it is dangerous in a long barrel!

Maximum pressure happens before the bullet moves more than an inch or so.

Hence the safety warnings about CFE BLK apply to all barrel lengths!
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Worstletter
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2021

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          Let's be clear about interior ballistics! A shorter barrel length DOES NOT make a fast powder safe if it is dangerous in a long barrel!

Maximum pressure happens before the bullet moves more than an inch or so.

Hence the safety warnings about CFE BLK apply to all barrel lengths!
          You can remove the post that won't offend me. I have shot with CFEBLK in a long barrel as well with 123gr projectiles. Seems fine to me "ideally" there are better powders. With my parameters of a very short COL and minimum case fill I agree it's probably not a good idea. This combination was a result of the times we live in and the availably of options. This load is not listed anywhere in any form. Did I experience the woahs of testing? Yes and rightfully so. This load will destroy brass in a autoloader if it's pushed to far. The resilience of the parent case is the rule not the exception to the cartridge, as I will claim it can handle anything you put into it. I gave this forum a gift of an individual's effort to inform the people of another option. If it's taken away so be it. If you don't believe me try it. I will once again reiterate that this is an advanced load that beginners should step away from and there are better options. This in no way should deter anyone from trying something on there own and experimenting with your abilities and practices.

Comment

• outbreaker
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

IMG_1210r.PNG
            I worked up this load.

COAL 2.26
            Bullet: 120gr Sierra Match King
            Powder: TAC 27.3gr
            Primer: CCI 41
            Brass: Lapua

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Have you chronographed that load? I bet it's cookin'.
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Smtimelevi
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2021

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Smt,

130gn at 2600fps - Are you shooting that out of an AR?

Comment

• Smtimelevi
                    Unwashed
                    • Nov 2021

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Sm,

Yes, it's pretty high. If that velocity is correct and we know it's only an estimate, it will be an overload. If true, your gun is being hammered. The weakest link in AR's are the bolt lugs which will likely crack sooner or later. Unfortunately, AR's are not as robust as bolt guns, which means they are not as forgiving to overpressure.

Be also aware, in this calibre overpressure can occur before typical signs like flattened and cratered primers. Like the 338LM the Grendel case is designed to take more of the pressure share than other calibres. But the pressure is still there; pounding the bolt lugs even though the spent cases look OK.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2020

Comment

• Smtimelevi
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2021

Comment

• Zeneffect
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2020

Seeing that hook in the 2nd picture is so encouraging... Sadly you are probably over pressure already.. as said before, if it were a bolt gun different story and I'd be tuning this load.

There is a contrary thought that knowing the bolts are going to give eventually, plan for failure and jdgaf? Seems unsafe to me but then again I've never broken a bolt lug so don't know how that failure scenario plays out exactly or it's permutations.

Comment

• Smtimelevi
                              Unwashed
                              • Nov 2021

Comment

Working...
                              X