Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a often true that sub MOA loads at 100 yards do not perform well at longer ranges. I routinely verify my best 100 yard loads at longer distances, usually 300 and 600 yards. Some times they work out and sometimes not. It is more evident at 1,000 yards with some bullets keyholeing after droping below the speed of sound.
    Bob

Comment

Comment

Allen, are those 129g SST's? what powder and primer are you loading with?

Comment

Those look like 123gr AMAX's to me, loaded way long. If they were 129gr SST's, I think we'd be looking at the cannelure at that COAL. Good to see you Bwild97. Was wondering what you've been up to.

Comment

Yes, they are 123 Amax. Yes, they are loaded too long (2.310 I think.) I got bored today and loaded some up, but without mags and a barrel I don't know what I want to seat them to. So I set them a little long so I can set them once I figure out what I want.

They are loaded with IMR 8208XBR and CCI 450 primers in Lapua/AA brass. Loaded with 27, 27.5, 28, and 28.5 gr, 5 rounds a piece. Hopefully I'll find one that shoots well

Comment

They will probably jam into the lands, unless you have a custom cut chamber with a long leade. 2.310" will only fit in modified or PRI mags for the 6.8. Careful with XBR, as it will sneak up on you.

What barrel and buffer will you have?

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Allen View Post
                Yes, they are 123 Amax. Yes, they are loaded too long (2.310 I think.) I got bored today and loaded some up, but without mags and a barrel I don't know what I want to seat them to. So I set them a little long so I can set them once I figure out what I want.

They are loaded with IMR 8208XBR and CCI 450 primers in Lapua/AA brass. Loaded with 27, 27.5, 28, and 28.5 gr, 5 rounds a piece. Hopefully I'll find one that shoots well
                28.5 grains is the max I would consider with that bullet and XBR. My rifles seem to like 28.3 the best.

XBR does very well, but the cliffs edge is sharp, a little too much turns into a lot too much REALLY fast!

Great powder and very stable temp wise, though.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Those look like 123gr AMAX's to me, loaded way long. If they were 129gr SST's, I think we'd be looking at the cannelure at that COAL. Good to see you Bwild97. Was wondering what you've been up to.
                  Ya your right, I forgot about that cannelure on the SST's.
                  Thank you! My school schedule got real crazy, 17 credits, 66 hrs of cooperative work experience, and a 10 hr. Police Reserve Academy course every Saturday plus part time work at a local bike shop has chewed up all my free time. Finally the CWE is done, I will have a day or two freed up.

I think Stokesrj has an excellent idea for collecting some common loads that should work well in "all" rifles chambered in 6.5 Grendel. Count me in, I'm intrigued by the notion and I believe that this is a very achievable goal. Since I have all of the components on hand, I will try out LR1955's proposed load of 28.5g XBR under 120g SMK @ 2.22 oal and a CCi BR-4 primer (the gun shop was out of 450) in Hornady brass

I would propose as a candidate - 123g Nosler Custom Competition, 31g LeveRevolution, CCi 450/BR-4, OAL @ 2.230", 2656 Avg Vel. from a 24" bbl, Avg accy for "two" 5 shot groups .875 moa @ 100 yds

Comment

• Dogue
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Allen View Post

I think for the purpose of this test we were aiming for 2.250 OAL with the 123 Amax in order to see how different rifles handle the same loads.
                    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      They will probably jam into the lands, unless you have a custom cut chamber with a long leade. 2.310" will only fit in modified or PRI mags for the 6.8. Careful with XBR, as it will sneak up on you.

What barrel and buffer will you have?
                      Yeah I know, but I just set them a bit long knowing I will have to re-seat them. If I get the barrel and find that they are close to 2.250" at the lands, then I will set them to that. I just didn't want to set them too deep and then regret it.

It will be a 24" lite barrel from AA, with a standard rifle buffer (I assume) from Palmetto state armory (their A2 stock kit) No adjustable gas block of anything. I'm hoping that the gas will be about right.

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      28.5 grains is the max I would consider with that bullet and XBR. My rifles seem to like 28.3 the best.

XBR does very well, but the cliffs edge is sharp, a little too much turns into a lot too much REALLY fast!

Great powder and very stable temp wise, though.
                      Yeah, thats about what I've found out. Really I probably would have only gone to 28 gr if it wasn't for this thread.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Bill,
                          Yes, those do look on the edge in your rifle, so I suspect there will be some that find this to be too stiff for their rifle. We may need to adjust down a little.

Do you also have the results from testing the 123 A-Max factory load from this same rifle?

I will ask Greg to put up the spread sheet so we can all begin entering the data we have.

Bob

Comment

Stokesrj
                            Do you also have the results from testing the 123 A-Max factory load from this same rifle?
                            I do, but I have another ongoing project that would benefit from re-testing some factory loads. If you wish, I will post the data that I have from the factory loadings test.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                              Stokesrj

I do, but I have another ongoing project that would benefit from re-testing some factory loads. If you wish, I will post the data that I have from the factory loadings test.

Bill
                              That sounds good
                              Bob

Comment

Hornady factory load tests.

Comment

Working...
                                X