X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

Here is a link to Bob's preferred loads spreadsheet: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34132774/Gr...e%20Loads.xlsx

The objective is to have these loads evaluated by the horde to see if they meet Bob's objective of finding a load that works well in everyones rifle.

We are interested in obtaining range results for how well these loads perform in your rifle. We are NOT interested in what your rifle is capable of (i.e. best group). Rather we want to know how your rifle shoots these loads on average. We suggest 5 targets of 5 shots each and report the average group size. We recommend using On Target (http://ontargetshooting.com, or similar shot analyzing software.

Please fill out the data cells in the linked spreadsheet, including the rifle characteristics.

Contact me if you have trouble with accessing and saving the table in DropBox.

Comment

LR1955s Candidate Loads tested by BWild97

Avg. for all groups - 0.517 moa @ 100yds
      Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Comment

Avg. for all groups - 0.562 moa @ 100 yds
          Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Bill:

Wow! I didn't even have to clean my rifle. If anyone thinks they have problems with their barrel, I always recommend they shoot some 120 Sierra's. If the 120 Sierra doesn't shoot well, either they can't shoot or the barrel is lousy.

Bill Waites and I had little problem with the 120 Sierras to around 700 meters in wind a few years ago. However, the targets were IPSC steels so 3 minutes was fine for a hit. Then again, the steels were at unknown distances and the winds were pretty good.

The 120 Sierra is a very reliable bullet because it isn't a VLD or a VLD hybrid. It can take huge amounts of jump or no jump at all, a wide variety of powders and primers, and it will still shoot extremely well.

I have pull / pushed them over the Wolf MPT and they shot consistently under a minute at 200 yards.

Thanks again for doing the dirty work!

LR1955

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Nice work!

LR1955 has a great memory. We were shooting steel at unknown distances using his brand new rifle. We even mounted the scope at the range! I had never even seen the rifle prior to that day, and neither one of us had any problems hitting IPSC's way out there. It was actually pretty boring, other than I was laughing so hard because it was so stupid easy!

I think I'm going to pick up a bunch of 120's the next time I see a sale, and load them for my 20" and call it good.

Comment

So at least maybe we have a preferred projectile!!

I have less than 50 out of 500 left, and I can't remember having a really bad load with any of them. I mainly used them for fire forming x39 brass.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2012, 02:32 AM.

Comment

And that is what I'm looking for here, loads that shoot well out of most rifles. I'm not surprised that the 120 SMK is one of those bullets, it is the same ogive design as the 77 SMK that prompted my thoughts on this subject. However, I want to see how this load performs out of 20 or 30 rifles. That will give us a clearer view.
                  Bob

Comment

• rickOshay
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2012

BWild97's results are added to the spreadsheet.

Comment

• BWild97 that is some fancy shooting. Two questions, what brass, and what is the program you used to do the targets??

I will try to get mine out in the next week or two before the real cold sets in here.

Greg

Comment

• GregP42, Thank you!

I mainly use Hornady brass. I do have some Lapua brass, and when adding load info to the Chrony slips I note the loads using Lapua brass with "Lapua" or "L". The loads using Hornady brass usually get no note unless it is new brass and you may see "H" or "New H"

The program I used is Called OnTarget PC, it costs about $15 and I just recently discovered a free version "1.10" The TDS version is about $75 and has a few more features. I also use PointBlank Ballistics. Both programs do roughly the same thing But OnTarget is much easier to use quickly. PointBlank Ballistics is free with an option to donate.

And I also just realized that I didn't note these slips as the brass used was all new Hornady brass.
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2012, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• rickOshay
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2012

BWild - can we get you to post results for commercial 123 AMAX as a way to calibrate the preferred loads?

GregP42 - if you haven't found it already, there is a link to On Target in my post on page 10.

Comment

• Factory 123g Amax

Comment

• I have been thinking about this all night, you use factory brass and 28gr of powder. I have been using IMI only and I have not went over 25.5 grains yet, I have not wanted to go much higher because the IMI brass has less volume that factory brass. Those of you using IMI brass what loads are you using so far?

Rick, I went back and saw your post and downloaded the program, now to just get to the range before the cold weather sets in and when the wind is low.

Greg

Comment

• Using the IMI 7.62x39 brass, run a ladder test for pressure sensitivity in conjunction with a chonograph. Look for your first indication of pressure signs with erratic shifts in velocity, as you inspect your fired brass for bulge signs at the case web just above the extractor groove.

With the Grendel, I've seen a consistent relationship between velocity and charge weights across everyone's published data. A .2gr increase in the charge weight can be as much as 37fps. A .3gr increase can be 50-75fps, with a 75fps increase letting me know we're in a max load area.

Since your brass has less volume, you will build pressure faster. I think you really need to try CFE 223 from Hodgdon's. Do the math to get your charge weight relationship data for percentages to figure out a start load, and go from there. The CFE 223 is a high density, fine grain powder that might be just what you're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                                X