• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by KillerMedic View Post
    noone and infidel470,

I picked up a 22" CSS barrel and it is about .005 shorter headspace than my AA 14.5 Tactical. The bolt will not close on a PTG 6.5 Grendel GO gauge. Also the throat is way short.
    I don't understand how LW can say they are chambering correctly when it will not close on a PTG go gauge.... this is not the first time this has come up!!! I'm sure they make great barrels, but this would piss me off.

Comment

• infidel470

Originally posted by KillerMedic View Post
      noone and infidel470,

Did you get to use the reamer? Any results to post? I have the same problem. I picked up a 22" CSS barrel and it is about .005 shorter headspace than my AA 14.5 Tactical. The bolt will not close on a PTG 6.5 Grendel GO gauge. Also the throat is way short. My AMAXes sit .015 off the lands and COL is 2.168. I would like to hear your results as I was planning on doing something similar. I really want to lengthen the throat for longer bullets and less lost case capacity with them (single fed for F-Class matches).

Medic...out!
      Hi Medic,
      I had great results from the reamer. Started with the test run to get the feel for the tool, a few turns remove, check the location of the shavings = on the throat part, a few more turns = shavings moved back toward the shoulder, remove measure the thickness of the shavings, a few more turns on the shoulder, when I taught I have removed 0.005 of the desired 0.007 stopped fire it and measure the brass = 0.001 longer than AA chamber, done. A word of advice, solid measuring set up is a must ( I was sooo lucky) or incremental metal removal at the range with fire testing of the brass. Let me know when you are ready to do it, I have few thoughts.

Comment

• KillerMedic

Originally posted by infidel470 View Post
        Hi Medic,
        I had great results from the reamer. Started with the test run to get the feel for the tool, a few turns remove, check the location of the shavings = on the throat part, a few more turns = shavings moved back toward the shoulder, remove measure the thickness of the shavings, a few more turns on the shoulder, when I taught I have removed 0.005 of the desired 0.007 stopped fire it and measure the brass = 0.001 longer than AA chamber, done. A word of advice, solid measuring set up is a must ( I was sooo lucky) or incremental metal removal at the range with fire testing of the brass. Let me know when you are ready to do it, I have few thoughts.
        Will do. It will probably be after Camp Perry as I am scrambling to get myself and the Jr. Team ready for the trip. Thanks for the help.

Medic...out!

Comment

• Clod Stomper

I'm in the same boat with a LW barrel. At first, I thought it was the throat being so short, but an empty case that drops right into a Wilson case gauge just fine will barely chamber and is hard to extract.

Since there is no chance that I could get my hands on an actual Grendel reamer, I bought a 6.5 BPC reamer (before the .264 LBC was announced) from an individual for a single shot project. I have since tried to sell or trade for a .264 LBC reamer with no luck. So I guess I'm going to go ahead and lengthen with the BPC.

The problem is that I don't really know the difference in specs between the LBC and BPC. I've searched as much as I possibly can, but have come up with no definitive answers. Anyone have an idea? I do understand the difference between the Grendel and LBC. I just can't find any numbers on the BPC.

Will

Comment

• KillerMedic

Will,

You will find the PTG prints for both here: Chamber Reamer Prints

Medic...out!
            Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Wow. Thanks very much!

It appears that, if anything, the BPC is a bit more generous in the Lead/Throat. I was afraid it would be tighter. It looks like exactly what I want. I'm glad I wasn't able to trade.

Will
              Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2011, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Although Infidel470 and I had the same problem, and used the same reamer, it didn't work out as well for me as it did for him. Eventually, rather than ruining a barrel (or maybe two) I sent the two barrels, bolts, reamer off to have a pro use the tooling to adjust the headspace for me. I should be getting the barrels and the reamer back in 2-3 weeks. Infidel470 and I split the cost of the reamer, and we haven't discussed what we plan to do with the reamer after it comes back with my barrels and bolts. But I won't be using it again, as it didn't work out as well for me as it did for Infidel470. I didn't have access to a range in the beginning and that was a problem. I quit before I ruined the barrels.

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I've already put more money into this barrel than I ever wanted to. I'm going to give it a shot (no pun intended). If I mess it up the first time, I'll chuck it in the lathe, turn the breach and shoulder back and try again. <sigh> And shorten the gas tube also, I guess. I really hope it works. I've finished a short chambered Mauser that turned out ok. Fingers crossed.

First I'll need go/no go gauges from Midway or Brownells. While I have it disassembled, I think I'll get A receiver lapping tool and true the receiver face.

It's a good thing I enjoy doing this stuff.

Will

Comment

Working...
                  X