• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill.brandonj

Quick primer question.

Do the cci 400 s work ? Okay

Originally posted by hill.brandonj View Post
    Do the cci 400 s work ? Okay
    I use em at times. They don't seem to be that different from the Winchesters I normally use.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Yes, usually. They have a slightly thinner cup and may be less resistant to slam fires, thus are not recommended in AR's.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I've used thousands of them in .223 AR loads and never had a slam fire. Not saying it can't happen though.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Same otherwise. No less "hot" than a 450

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

H.B They are less hot than the 450s and my experiences are the same as txgunner00.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

My pal at federal says they are okay, but for ar's- they recommend 450's, and BR4's-they are just barely thicker, and larger in diam. than the 450's. No one wants a slam fire accident. I have a few AA brass w/17-18 rounds through, the 450 still holds, just not as tightly. Getting a 100 pack of BR4's to try in the old brass - 20 reloads per brass is the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                My pal at federal says they are okay, but for ar's- they recommend 450's, and BR4's-they are just barely thicker, and larger in diam. than the 450's. No one wants a slam fire accident. I have a few AA brass w/17-18 rounds through, the 450 still holds, just not as tightly. Getting a 100 pack of BR4's to try in the old brass - 20 reloads per brass is the goal.
                If your load requires a hot ignition, my experience with the BR4s has been that they are not a very hot primer. Excellent consistency, but not very hot. I did not know about them providing a tighter fit. That may help with a project I'm engaged in with 500 LC XM193 brass I recently acquired for my 7.62x40WT project. Their pockets seem to be running a little on the loose side the first time I tried to load them after processing them.

Does anyone know if there is a published spec for the amount of seating force a primer should require to be qualified as not too loose? I want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting them. I've read that some LC brass (XM) sold to the civilian market is because they failed primer retention testing, even with crimp.

Hoot

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                  I've used thousands of them in .223 AR loads and never had a slam fire. Not saying it can't happen though.
                  Has anyone on this forum ever had a slam fire with their AR??

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                    Not personally, but I've seen it happen.

I also have three divots in my asphalt from a KAC match trigger set that came out of adjustment. I try not take any chances with primers, prefer non-adjustable Geiselle triggers now, and ALWAYS assume the weapon could fire when chambering a round. It's pretty rare, but things can bite you in the butt when you least expect it--- if you aren't pessimistic enough to always expect it...
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

I've told this story before, but at the national matches when 150 riflemen are standing shoulder to shoulder and the command is given, "with one round load" it is not uncommon to hear kaboom. In three cases I've been able to investigate personally, all were caused by thin walled primers igniting when the firing pin continues forward when the bolt is released. You don't have to wait until it slam fires you can see this readily, take a CCI400, Remington 6 1/2, or Winchester small rifle, primed but not loaded case, drop it into the chamber, now release the bolt by hitting the bolt release, do this three times and examine the primer. Now do the same thing with a thick cupped primer, a CCI 450, BR4, Wolf SRM, or Remington 7 1/2 and you will see a less deep dent in the rear of the thick cupped primers.
                      Bob

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                        Not in my rifle, but I have seen it happen at the range. Its always been with reloaded ammunition, and I've always been suspicious that the primers were the issue, but I try to avoid critiquing other peoples reloading!

(Unless, of course, the other guy is a friend; then I will hassle him mercilessly!)

Comment

• Dogue
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          Not in my rifle, but I have seen it happen at the range. Its always been with reloaded ammunition, and I've always been suspicious that the primers were the issue, but I try to avoid critiquing other peoples reloading!

(Unless, of course, the other guy is a friend; then I will hassle him mercilessly!)
                          I wonder if the combination of thinner primers and the possibility of them not being fully seated would increase the chances for a slam-fire?
                          Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

For sure a high prime is a contributing factor. I saw a 6.8 blown to bits last year by a slam fire, actually an out of battery slam fire. It had so manythings wrong it was hard to be sure exactly what the root cause was. The bolt was so full of primer blanks that it seized the firing pin in the full forward position. But you have to ask yourself, why so many blanks, and why the operator didn't notice pierced primers. He was using thin walled primers but also pushing the loads too hard. And examining his remaining rounds I found high primers.
                            I thinks a lot of times it's like this, accumulated errors.
                            Bob

Comment

Working...
                            X