hunting dump them load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hunting dump them load

looking for a hunting load for whitetail with knock down power. Thinking of 120 gmx or ballistic tip or tripple shock.........thoughts and loads.....have cfe powder...thanks
  • Michael
    Warrior
    • Jan 2012

I have had good luck with Barnes 120gr TSX in front of 30.0g CFE. 2425fps av, CCi #41 primers. OAL 2.240. 20" AA barrel.

Good luck.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
    - Voltaire

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Skip the GMX...it is too long for Grendel (would have slower than optimal speeds for GMX).

I've had great success with 129 SST with 2520 and 2230 behind it...if you are looking for all copper, then look at 120 TSX or 100 TTSX. You can search the forum for recipes...
      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Generally speaking, heaver hunting bullets have more knock down power than lighter bulleta. That said, at 250 yards or less 120gr hunting loads seem to knock down deer just fine. The 130gr do even better

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

LaRue took a bull elk at 405 yards using a 120 TSX from a 20" Grendel...roughly 730 ft-lbs of energy at impact. Chuck Hawks mentions that conventional wisdom says 1200 ft-lbs minimum is recommended for humane kills on elk, but he also (rightly) mentions bullet placement is more important. LaRue proves that point. He also mentions conventional wisdom says 800 ft-lbs is minimum for humane kills on deer...

Last edited by BjornF16; 10-21-2012, 05:23 AM.
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
            LaRue took a bull elk at 405 yards using a 120 TSX from a 20" Grendel...roughly 730 ft-lbs of energy at impact.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/1...i_.html&page=1
            There is some really good reading in that link and the optics aid used here http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/XTR_Ballistic556.pdf .
            It will be easy to make a similar retical diagram with range markings that will be more simply read in the field than the usual cheat sheat sheet that is all figures in columns
            http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
            Acts 4:10-12

Comment

No shoulder fired rifle has enough power to "nock down a deer". I've shot little sitka blacktail bucks with my .375 H&H that ran off a hundred yards or more with their lungs missing. What will drop them right there is breaking heavy bone or overwhelming the nervous system. The 6.5 Grendel doesn't have a lot of velocity so overwhelming the nervous system without a direct hit to either the spine or brain is unlikely. But almost any of the 120-130 grain bullets will drop a deer right there if you place it high in the shoulder, through the shoulder blades where the backbone dips and then rises again at the neck. This shot will typically result in a DRT reaction. The shot usually sends fragments though the top of the cardio vascular system, traumatizes the spine, and breaks heavy bone.

Members here have had good results with the 129 SST, 123 A-Max, and 120 Nosler BT.
              In my opinion, for light skinned mid weight animals like the white tail deer, you don't need the monolithic or bonded core bullets. You can shoot them if you want but they won't kill the animal any deader.

And yes, I'm aware of all kinds of calibers that will drop a deer right there by totally overwhelming their systems. I have a 6.5 STW and a .300 Weatherby that will. I would much prefer the 6.5 Grendel for white tails and 400 yards in.

Bob

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Ditto, I have a 7mm RUM, but all the deer I've shot with a 120 Nosler BT out of the Grendel are just as dead as if I'd used the RUM. They're just not quite as messy.LOL Dead is dead, and the bullets Mr. Stokes referenced will all kill them quite dead.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Bob, agreed on the spinal tap.- Head is dead. It's all about the lead. I've read elsewhere-- where all the 6.5 Grr forum members seem to think they need BC's of 529, & MV of 3000 w/ a 130 grn. unit. , to thwapp a deer= Maybe- at 1000, oops I mean 100 yds., you & I know thats not needed. I know of A .177 airgun that killed a deer , by accident at a bird feeder. The old school guys in N. MN.,, used to use .22mags., & .22 shorts. If we can -all-study the animal we are after-and practice continually, it will make us all better hunters. The lighter bullets in any caliber- are a good choice, for close in hunts. I sold off all of my magnums-.308's etc.,, after I bought the 6.5 G... No, it's not perfect. It is a great mid . cal. to replace a many others. I'm happy with it being my main hunt rifle , in the midwest. I use different bullet wts., as per needed. Mono, or bonded are the best bullet choices, for the seasonal hunts-or the hunt of a lifetime. I'm sure we all ate some lead-if in a hunting family.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

I agree with Bob S. and others...it's all about where you hit them. Put any decent 6.5 bullet on the blue dot here and you will "dump them":
                    [IMG][/IMG]

For a broadside shot, hit them in line with the front leg 1/3 from the TOP to shock the spine and take out the top of the lungs to drop them in their tracks. (The spine dips deceivingly low here.) Aim 1/3 from the bottom for a heart shot or anywhere in between for a sure double-lung kill. The great thing about the Grendel is the precise shot placement that it allows (if the operator is capable).
                    My 2 cents....
                    PA

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

PA- Nice target, perfect post! That's how many of us were taught to hunt-high hit on the shoulder. Ahhh the clavical area. I try to move forward a =3"- 4" toward the neck, following the horizontal plane perfectly vertical of the brisket =lower bump. === Move the hit , on this pic. to the rt.3-4". =Spinal tap. Pa, where did this target come from, ? Nice. I call it the Tink shot.= TINK! Down they go. Less adrenaline in the system, less chance of a run off deer. Study it. It's what most of the shooters on say , the out door chnl. do to drop game fast.
                      Last edited by sneaky one; 10-25-2012, 01:00 AM.

Comment

In a perfect world, on a standing broadside shot, I try to wait till the buck takes 1 step forward. Then I shoot trying to break the FAR side sholder. That way you ruin less meat and you still get the knock down.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                          Chieftain
                          • Apr 2012

Here is another deer target
                          http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                          Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Jokey! Von, I bought the same target, back in '08-still in the house, not used! Not fully life sized, maybe 2/3 rd size= yet.,,,. Comedy. Connectivety.? Hm2, nice job spelling on the the posts., and Solid advice on the far shoulder shot ! My old man taught me the same shot . We all can grow together, as a solid team of Grrr. shooters.= guys, and gals united for the betterment of the best middle class caliber, ever for an AR package,,, or a boltie/ ?. We Grendel onward... team effort is the best. I'm too happy lately-plus hunting for deer starts in 10 days,,, look out cervids.

S 1
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 10-25-2012, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X