Factory Ammo in Custom Chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Ammo in Custom Chamber

I have 10 boxes of assorted AA factory ammo. My chamber has been throated long due to it being a single shot rifle. Should I pull the bullets and adjust the length for better accuracy? I use a Hornady collet puller.

Thanks, Dinny

Tell us about your single shot!

My intuition suggests that you convert that excellent factory ammo into outstanding once-fired brass and then work up loads tailored for your chamber.

Pulling the bullets and reusing them and the brass is a lot of hassle and not likely to improve the accuracy. Any gains from decreasing the jump will almost certainly be offset, and perhaps more, by damage done to the bullets.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Do you have a way to measure where the contact point w/ the rifling is? If it is a longy,- use a kinetic -inertia puller to do a slight smack-, and more as needed, on say a wood surface--- to pull the bullet ahead a bit. Crimping is a possibility, after the fact. I only do it on some .262 ID cases. Then they get the annealing done. It might help you once you get to the goal length, for your single,, BTW-What unit do you own ?/ I have a few that may go to the Grr, in a single, maybe a few bolties. Is this for hunts or targets only?

Comment

My T/C Grendle/Encore was incosistantly accurate with different loadings till I changed out the factory hinge pin with one from Bellam.

Comment

• IndyGrendel63

I saw one of those adjustable hinge pins in the E. Arthur Brown (EAB) catalog recently. Is that Bellam pin like that? I had similar issues with my encore in 6.5 Swedish, gave up on it and sold the barrel.

Comment

I have one of the older Stoney Point OAL gauges that I can use to determine the COALs with. I'll consider purchasing an inertia puller, I didn't think about that, but it's likely to be the easiest way to move the bullets out a little farther.

I'm building a H&R Handi Grendel. Wayne York of Oregunsmithing is reboring and rechambering a 22" .22 Hornet barrel on the stronger SB2 rifle action. We decided on a 1:9" twist since I don't plan on shooting bullets heavier than 130gr. I might try some 140s just to see though.;) I plan to glass and pillar bed the

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
              I have one of the older Stoney Point OAL gauges that I can use to determine the COALs with. I'll consider purchasing an inertia puller, I didn't think about that, but it's likely to be the easiest way to move the bullets out a little farther.

I'm building a H&R Handi Grendel. Wayne York of Oregunsmithing is reboring and rechambering a 22" .22 Hornet barrel on the stronger SB2 rifle action. We decided on a 1:9" twist since I don't plan on shooting bullets heavier than 130gr. I might try some 140s just to see though.;) I plan to glass and pillar bed the

Thanks, Dinny
              Dinny:

If you reload and or have a reloading press, go with a collet bullet puller that fits on the press.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
              X