• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Expansion

• sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Yikes. Handloads, can be funky-as far as pressure signs show up-not consistently. I've had wolf brass take a true beating- a warm load to find the ceiling, with zero pressure signs, yet same loading with the AA brass= scarred-showed all the signs. So,,, I talked to Federal of this -they said the draw, pull of the brass whilst being formed, can ,, show up as a weak spot generally at the Web area you speak of, and or pressure issues. Also check to see if you are pushing the shldr back too much. Back off a grn. Try backing off on the die a bit? See what shows up, start there. Let us know.

Comment

• RangerRick

The AA and Lapua brass are made on the same line, only the head stamp is different.

That said, there can be lot-to-lot variations, but Lapua quality control is very good. My Lapua brass typically lasts 15 or more reloads, Hornady brass 10 or 12.

If the gun is over gassed it can sometimes unlock while the pressure is still pretty high, not climbing, but not fully reduced yet. A tell tale sign of this is very dirty brass (on the outside) from the gas blowing back past the case when it unlocks, that also means a dirty chamber. Also very violent ejection. You might see the head stamp smeared some and the extractor will dig into the rim leaving little burrs.

For me this was mostly a problem of my expensive Lapua brass getting beat up on ejection. I put an adjustable gas block on and all that went away.

Other guys use a heavier buffer or heavier military bolt carrier, or both.

RR

Comment

The brass is quite clean, no signs of hot gasses on neck, or anywhere else. It may be I just got on the "Hot Side" a little too much...LOL
        What is the normal size near the pressure cup after being fired...is .444 too much? That is .006 expansion...and has me a little conserned... Thanks: Jim

Comment

• rasp65
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Shots Not sure what a pressure cup is but generally if you are getting .006" of expansion on the case head you are too hot. Also I have noted that clean cases can be a sign that the pressure is so great that the case is pressed into the chamber walls so hard that it seals the chamber from the gases that would blacken the case.

Comment

Pressure Cup area is also called Case Web and also called Case Head....
            When I say clean, I am saying no sign of a bunch of blow back...just a tad on upper neck area. Everything factory wise is dropping within a foot or so, and about 4 o'clock. The ones that showed signs of pressure went about 2 feet at 5 o'clock.

Comment

• rasp65
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Shots Actually the case head and the case web are not the same thing but they are close together as is the case neck and the shoulder. Are all the loads you are using factory or are some handloads. What are the specifics of your rifle, bbl length, gas system length.

Comment

I did not say they were the same...LOL I just said I have heard folks call that area by different names...LOL Yes, the large expansion was using 2520 at a little reduced load from one I found here.
                The specks: 20" BHW, adjustable gas block, rifle length gas.
                On the factory ammo: AA Laupa .002 to .003 expansion. On Hornady .001 to .002 Yes it was the home loads that went .006, and yes, I felt they were on the hot side...LOL
                The thing that got me...was so much expansion in the WEB area, and no other sign of pressure at all. Firing pin indent, no flow back at all. Primer not flattened at all, primer showed nothing, but the WEB sure did...LOL
                If I had some new Hornady Brass, I would run the same load again just to see if the soft Lapua had anything to do with it...
                I guess my main question was how much expansion is acceptable?

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Comment

I feel the gas is adjusted just fine for Hornady and AA Factory ammo. I want to keep it there. I am trying to match as close as possible to the factory velocity. I found a great shooting load, but, it printed four inches lower than factory...and I do not want to chase with scope. So, I will just keep trying different powders for now...Thanks all for the input.
                    Jim

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Four inches Lower means hotter! Be careful, John shots Spartan=be well... you are on your own now, as to that way of thinking, and reloading. Good lorde... we may read of you in the oregonian news prints- in a sad ? sunday-obits. column ? Here's the deal. Follow the load stats on the forum here=you'll be safe!

Comment

Working...
                      X